iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good homeowner firewood saw?

Started by barbender, April 11, 2011, 10:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

I have an 038 Mag and a newer 036, both with 20" bars, and I love them both equally. I bought them both for under $300.

I love the 036 for general firewood use, due to it's fairly light weight. I love the 038 for bigger wood and for felling, however I don't mind using it all day for firewood, it's just a little heavier.

I also have a new Husky 455 with a 20" bar, I rarely use it anymore, I guess I could never really get used to it. My brother always uses it if he helps cut, though.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

weimedog

Quote from: HolmenTree on April 12, 2011, 04:30:30 PM

Walter maybe we should keep SawTroll out of this air_plane

Willard. :D :)

That is the coolest plane! where did that one come from?
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Cut4fun

In the smiley section here under more air_plane smiley_hillbilly_tub_base smile_banjoman smiley_fiddler.

barbender

My buddy is buying his first saw here, he wants a new one I think. Shiny ::) I agree about the toolless tensioners, they look like something prone to break at 0° F in MN. It seems like the new homeowner husky/Jred homeowner saws are being dumbed down so they will work for the dumbest person who may by chance pick the saw up and try to cut something with it.
Too many irons in the fire

isawlogs

I would of gladly pointed him to a good used saw if he had asked about that, but he did ask about a new saw. A hand saw will cut firewood too if one had enough time and energy to cut through the wood  ;D ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Cut4fun

Quote from: isawlogs on April 13, 2011, 12:39:49 AM

I would of gladly pointed him to a good used saw if he had asked about that, but he did ask about a new saw.

Somehow I missed the key word it HAD to be NEW.  :D whiteflag_smiley smiley_peace

In that case my Bro really likes his MS250. 

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

downunder Trav

The husky j,red and stihl are all good saws and will serve the proposed purpose well. I would go the 55 in the husky over the 50 though. Personally I am a stihl fan and would buy one over all other brands for numerous reasons, however for the occasional user, I would advise that you go to the dealer and pick up the saws and have a play with them and see what feels most comfortable and get the dealers to give you a rundown on what servicing you need to do. I.E. get him to show you how easy the filters are to clean and how easy or difficult it is to change chains etc. and while you are doing this get a feel for the dealer, if he seems like he is fobbing you off walk out and buy from the dealer who is willing to spend more time with you, and seems more genuinely interested in you and the product.

There are also other brands out there which are good and sometimes you will wangle a bigger saw for the same price, check out solo, dolmar/makita, EFCO/Oleo mac. These are all fairly reputable and may end up being better value for money for someone who is only cutting the family firewood for the year.
I am a weekend warrior with a chainsaw, But the collection is starting to grow, Dedicated slabber here I come!!!!!

Red 93 L1 #3383

I love my Stihl MS 310.  I spent a little more ( $426 including tax, case, 18" bar & 2 loops on 10-1-05 ) & got a little more CC.  I have a buddy with a MS 290 & he loves that saw but the 310 has a little more power.  Both saws are running 18" bars.  My other saws are a pair of 064AV's w/ 20", 25", & 36" bars to use.  I normally get a few 24" -42" diameter 12' long logs each year to cut for firewood.  I love my new 35 ton upright log splitter.
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

barbender

The other thing I should mention is that my buddy is a complete novice, he had never even ran a saw before. That, with his stature (5'5" and 135# or so) made me push for a smaller saw. He picked up my Jred 2171 with a 24" bar and agreed. He picked up a MS250, chaps, and a helmet and he is tickled ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Just Me

I was 4 hours away from home and needed a saw "Now" this past weekend. I could not find a XP, so I bought a Rancher 455-20". I cut up four good size trees, big enough that I had to come in from both sides, and it seemed fine. At first it was a bit doggy, but by the third tree it was building more power. I was going to buy an XP when I got around to it, but I am going to give this saw a fair try. May as well, I already own it. ;)

It does have two bolts on the bar, and it is not a tool less adjuster. It was $399 at Farm and Fleet.

CabinDweller

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the MS 270. I have one and have been very pleased with it. It is a little more than $300 but you get more saw too. Ask your dealer. I haven't heard one yet that doesn't recommend the 270. My uncle cuts with a 250 and it is a great saw too.
Cutting to heat my log home...

- Stihl Chainsaws
- Norwood Industries LumberMate Saw Mill

oakcutter

Take a look at Efco, heard good things.

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on April 12, 2011, 04:30:30 PM
Quote from: weimedog on April 12, 2011, 12:44:05 PM
 (For the true nerds out there....and you KNOW who u are! A derivative of the "critically unstable" concept in fighter jet design.:)....)

Walter maybe we should keep SawTroll out of this air_plane

Willard. :D :)

Probably the best!    :D :D

........but is it has to be a "homeowner" saw, I wonder if he have considered the new MS291?
Information collector.

DandB Mack

I would go with a 250 if new, or try to find a used 260pro, or 346xp on the cheap.  I would prefer the used "pro" saws first, better resale and easier to rebuild.

cgk60

I have a 6 year old MS 290 and a newer MS 270 both are good saws for firewood, the 270 is smooth as silk.

ladylake

Take a look at look a t a Echo CS400, just over $200 new on fleebay or a Dolmar PS 420  or PS421 just over $300 both built good with 300 hour EPA ratings.  With that nk chain and a muff modd my 40cc CS400 saws cut faster than my Rancher 55  and my 45cc Echo Cs440 and just about dead even with a 56cc Stihl MS290 that I sold.  Those CS400 saws are light and handle great, easy to use.      Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

backpack32

Dolmar 5100. I got mine for $330 new 2 yrs ago. Great saw for firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!