iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Project saw

Started by jargo432, June 06, 2014, 02:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jargo432

I've been shopping around for a project saw.  You see a lot of them on ebay and craigslist, but I know that some are better than others.  I figure the best way to learn is to do a rebuild.  So what I'm wondering is.........

What would be the best Stihl to do a rebuild?  I plan on using it along side my CS-590 to cut oak for firewood, so no need for any big bars.  I'm thinking along the lines of around 50cc and 18 to 20 inch bar. 

Jack of all trades.

Ianab

Stihl 026 or MS260 is a good (pro grade) 50cc saw. Common enough that parts should be available, and useful / worth something when you are finished.

036 / MS 360 is a 60cc saw and one of the best out there, so that's another good option.

Saws like that are good enough that it's worth buying a piston/ cylinder kit for one if you need to, as they will give years of service once you rebuild them

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ladylake

I'd go with the 026 or MS260 due too the light weight and built good.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

jargo432

Jack of all trades.

sawguy21

Stay clear of the low cost clam shell designs, they are harder to work on and won't give you the satisfaction of a good performing saw. The pro series Stihls, Husqvarnas or Jonsereds are good choices as parts are readily available.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Caloren

Bought my 028 Super at a garage sale for $30, bought a couple chains and an air filter and it runs great. About a year later had to replace the fuel line, no trouble finding parts. Another good candidate IMHO.
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

Thank You Sponsors!