iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tool Box

Started by redbeard, March 07, 2011, 01:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

Working on the mill especially if your stationary you need tools close by, after several years of sawing under my cover I have finally figured out what i need by the mill and how i wanted it organized so i made up a drawer unit to hold the tool box and other items so i have a place for the things i need, Now maybe i will finish putting the board n bat on this side, the horizontal 1x4 has been nice to hang stuff on though.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

But you have screwed up Big Time.  That horseshoe is hanging upside down and all of your Luck is running out.  :-\   You should know better.   :D :D

Very nice tool box idea.   smiley_thumbsup 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

redbeard

Quote from: Magicman on March 07, 2011, 07:48:03 AM
That horseshoe is hanging upside down and all of your Luck is running out.  When i found it it was already full of Bad luck I am dumping it out !
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: redbeard on March 07, 2011, 09:43:18 AM
Quote from: Magicman on March 07, 2011, 07:48:03 AM
That horseshoe is hanging upside down and all of your Luck is running out.  When i found it it was already full of Bad luck I am dumping it out !

Don't do that! If you're like me if it weren't for bad luck I have no luck at all!

Herb

Magicman

Quote from: redbeard on March 07, 2011, 09:43:18 AM
When i found it it was already full of Bad luck I am dumping it out !

I didn't think about that.  The old luck refilling trick.   ;)   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pnyberg

Portable mills need tools close by too.  I built some cabinetry to allow me to make the most of the space in the 'access cab' of my truck.

The most often used items are on the driver's side. Small hand tools and supplies go in the 4 drawers.  The bag below contains rigging equipment (come-along, logging chain, straps, snatch blocks).  To the right are longer items (peavey, cant hooks, hookaroon, hi-lift jack mast).

On the passenger side are spaces for my two chain saws, and my reference library including the full set of Wood-Mizer manuals. 

This cabinet is supposed to be a prototype which should eventually be replaced by one made out of something better than MDF, when I get 'round to it  :).

I built another cabinet that goes in the bed and has drawers for blades.  (I stole this idea from a post that's somewhere in the archives, that I've never been able to find again.) I'm mostly using 9°, but also carry 4°'s.  Dulled blades go in the bottom drawer. 

--Peter
No longer milling

r.man

Maybe Redbeard's luck is pouring into his tool box.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

treetech

Man I envy organized people! I spend more time looking for stuff than I do using it! Nice setup.

Chuck White

That's some very well organized cabinetry Peter!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Extremely COOL!!!! Slicker than sop on a store knob!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

pete how long to make it back to a truck? I mean with all the stuff out. :)   
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

pnyberg

I've never actually timed it, but it's not a huge chore.  Emptying the cabinets and the truck bed of sawmill related equipment takes longer than pulling the cabinets out.

The blade drawer box in the bed has to be lifted a few inches, and then just slides out the back.  I can grab it by the sides of the top, lift it off the tailgate, turn 180°, and put it down on a pair of sawhorses. 

The box in the cab is more complicated.  It needs to move towards the front of the truck about 6" to clear the door.  To do this, it needs to be lifted about 8" to be above the center console.  So, I need to go back and forth blocking up each end 2" at a time.  Once that's done, I can slide it forward, and then out the door onto a general purpose cart.  So, it's a multi-step process, but still only takes 10-15 minutes at most, once I've found some place to put all the tools that are usually stored in it.

A few weeks ago the tire pressure warning light in the truck came on.  I checked the four tires on the ground, and they were all OK, so the next step was to check the spare.  The spare is mounted beneath the bed, with the air tube facing up, so it needed to be lowered using the special spare tire lowering tool.  This was the first time it occurred to me that this, and all the other tire changing tools, were in a storage compartment beneath the tool box, and I couldn't get to them without taking the tool box out of the truck.  :-[  If I had come to this realization as the result of a flat tire on the road, it would have really ruined my day.  The good news was that the pressure in the spare really was low, so turning off the warning light only took a bit of air, rather than a trip to the dealer.

--Peter
No longer milling

Peter Drouin

You did a nice job. I just have a small tool box and all the rest gos in the back of the truck. but I did't see the spare tire for the mill. the longer you cut over the years you;ll leave 1/2 the stuff home only the stuff for the day unless you travel like MM. again nice job 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!