iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Throttle Solenoid

Started by Woodwalker, January 23, 2006, 08:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodwalker

I'm trying to find a 12VDC solenoid to advance the throttle on a 25hp Kohler. I stopped at one of large chain auto parts store this evening; it was like asking about parts for the space shuttle. They couldn't run it down in the computer so they didn't have any idea on where to look.
I know Wood-mizer has one on (some?) of their units. Any ideas folks?
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

beenthere

Maybe check out Surpluscenter.com for something that might work.

This site:
solenoids
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

Most Industrial Engine shops could help you.  You might even find something at a local tractor dealership.  They are used on pumps, generators and all manner of  industrial applications.   Do you have a Caterpillar shop near-by?

isassi

A high idle solonoid used on late model cars and trucks, about any model will work. It is the device that makes the engine idle up when the A/C is on. Probably find a used one from a mechanic shop to try out for free.  :)

highpockets

We just installed one on a 20 H.P. Honda. It came off a Kabota industrial diesel and was used for the fuel pump engine shutdown.  The Surplus Center Item No. Item# 28-1433 looks like it might work.  We did not check the required pull before installing the solenoid since I figured it has been in a similiar operation.   

Another option is a small gearmotor. These can be bought from Surplus Center or found on electric seats on automobiles.
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Swede

I use a motor from VW Golf rear wiper I put a curved plate on+ a circuit breaker telling the motor where to stop. + a wire from a Volvo 244 head between the curved plate and the throttle.

For the choke I use a solenoid from Opel Caravan back door. I don´t think giving a locking solenoid power for a long time is a good idea. It will burn.

Swede.

Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

GF

I used an $18 gear motor from surplus center.  I made an enclosed mounting box for it and where the shaft runs out the side I machined an arm about 3-4 inches high and attached it to the shaft.  I then welded a small bracket to the mounting box.

The arm on the shaft is attached to the center wire of the throttle cable, and the outer shield of the cable is attached to the mounting bracket that was welded on the box.  I had a couple of throttle solenoids for diesel I tested out before they worked pretty good, but required power to them continously when engaged.   With the gear motor hit the switch to throttle up, when it throttled up it does not have to continously have power, hit the switch the other direction to apply power to throttle down and release.  I used part number 5-1367 from surplus center for $19.  Have not had any problems with it so far.  I also use this same gear motor for the guide arm that moves in and out.  For the price I bought several extras should one go out.

Also by mounting it in a box you can mount it any where on the carriage, it will just depend how long your throttle cable is.

D._Frederick

WW Grainger has them, also appliance part stores have them.

Thank You Sponsors!