iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Age when you bought your mill

Started by thecfarm, July 21, 2012, 09:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

levans

I was about 48, and bought mine after having a logger say He would haul pine logs to be sold for half of what they brought. That's the going rate, but why do that when I had so many things that needed to be built.

reride82

I started putting my Belsaw together when I was 26, and refined it into what it is now within the year. I am now 28  :)
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

grweldon

Bought my TK1400 in June... I'm 50!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Sprucegum

I bought my old circle mill when I was 61 (almost 3 years ago). I had no idea I needed one until I joined this forum  ???  :D

Meadows Miller

Quote from: Sprucegum on July 24, 2012, 06:41:52 PM
I bought my old circle mill when I was 61 (almost 3 years ago). I had no idea I needed one until I joined this forum  ???  :D

Spruce We have lead many a person to what they need and Id say every man needs sawmill  ;) but then again I need some people not to have one as I need work for mine ill shutup now Mate  :-\ :-X  ;) :D :D :D :D
4TH Generation Timbergetter

ALWOL

Bought my first mill at 16. It was a large old circle mill, and came as a pile of rotten wood and scrap metal. I have bought and set up several since, but still use tha first one once in a while.

Alan
There's a big difference between staying busy and making money.

RMay

LT40 Manual at 45, LT40 HYD. that I sawed over a million BF. , LT40Super with command control & diesel ordered Monday at 56 retired and sawing full time , no more eye full of saw dust  8)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

MHineman

I was 49 in 2004 and bought a 5 year old WM LT40 manual mill.  Started as a hobby operator.  Within 2 years I had to find another method of bringing in money due to being downsized.  Now run the sawmill, log, and farm.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

Tom the Sawyer

Retired 4/2009, bought my 2007 B20 (with less than 5 hours one it) 3 months later at the age of 58.   ;D :D ;D

Tom
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Tom L

so I think I figured this out,
when we are in our 20-30's we all have spent all of our money on fast cars , fast women and fast boats

at the end of our 30's the fast cars are getting too fast so we sell them
the fast boats start to get trading in for ones that are slower and more comfortable to fish in

then for 5-8 or so years we buy nothing. we are bored. so we buy a manual sawmill and try it out.
because it is something that always has interested us , hey we are not that old right?
then after a year or two we figure out we are not 20 anymore and upgrade to a hydraulic mill.

then realize we can make some money while enjoying a mill that doesn't kick our butt every day.
and hope that someday we have the guts to tell everyone to sticker it and do something in life that
is enjoyable and move on from there.

oklalogdog

LOL - I was 60 when I acquired the Foley's Belsaw M-14 and I am 61 now and have just purchased a Timberking 1220.  It was 108 degrees today when I made my first cut on the new mill - I'm way too old for this crap don't you think?
Amateurs built the Ark - Professionals built the Titanic

TK 2000, TK 1220, Belsaw M14, John Deere 7610 with loader, Ford 9N.

Stephen1

Started with a chainsaw mill while building my log cabin 10 years agao, fouind an old Norwood, or slivacraft from 1993 that needed some repairs, used it for 3 years, then decided that I needed some hydraulics if I wanted to do this for a retirement job. I bought a 1993 lt30hd last fall and have put on 200 hours whiole still holding my full time job, Soon i will retire, I think. :D
I just turned 56 .
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

thecfarm

oklalogdog,good luck with the new mill. Yes,it was kinda hot,but never to hot to play,  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nas

Bought a new Norwood in 2007 to saw lumber for the old farmhouse we had bought.  People found out about the mill and started to get me to cut logs for them, and to saw custom timbers.  Loved doing it and made a little money, but the manual mill was too much work :o :(  Upgraded to the LT40hd in 2009 and now saw full time and loving it 8) 8)

Of course the house still hasn't gotten done ::)

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

BBTom

I am another one that got his mill about 10 years ago, at the age of 50.  Seems like there are a bunch of us in the same age bracket. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

mjl_2007

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: oklalogdog on July 27, 2012, 07:26:02 PM
LOL - I was 60 when I acquired the Foley's Belsaw M-14 and I am 61 now and have just purchased a Timberking 1220.  It was 108 degrees today when I made my first cut on the new mill - I'm way too old for this crap don't you think?

I met a gentleman near me with an LT40. He's 87 and still milling portable. He DID have the good sense to leave the mill parked during the heatwave. I guess wisdom comes with the years. :)

flyboy16101

Bought my lt28 2 years ago this october at age 20. had helped my great uncle with his lt15 a couple times and caught the bug
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

Brucer

My friend John (who doesn't have internet, which is why he isn't here) has run a home-made circle mill for years. After he broke his back 2 years ago he decided he needed something a little less labour intensive so he bought a brand new LT40 hydraulic.

He was 76 when he made the purchase ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Lookin4lunkers

Of course I want one now or I wouldn't be here but it's just not in the cards (new morgage, infant son ect. ect.).  Hopefully it's in the ten year plan ;D
Life is about the journey, not the destination

js2743

Got my Lucas 8-27 in February at age of 37, bought it to saw the lumber needed in a log house.

I got the logs for the house from someone that had bought them, then got job transferred. There is enough for a 32X60 with dove tail corners, plan on sawing all the other lumber that's needed to finish it. also going to finish all the inside with rough lumber, we want it to look like it was done way back then. 

Thank You Sponsors!