iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belsaw m-14

Started by loggah, January 02, 2013, 06:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggah

Well my wife finally put a few pictures of my little Belsaw in my photo gallery , i got it set up last year and was powering it with a 1948 Case SC tractor. It is not overburdened with power so this fall i picked up a 60 H.P. massey ferguson. If anyone is interested heres the link,i don't know how to actually post pictures here. Since then i have made the shed bigger putting my Chase shingle mill under part  of it. Don

Note from Admin:  Pics have to be in Forestry Forum Gallery.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

shelbycharger400

upgrading from that 25-28 hp  to 60 would be nice.
I thought bout running my case dc (35-38 hp) on my bellsaw.. gave up on that idea before i even started. .
lookin at a 60 hp case combine engine, waitin on a price.

loggah

This one works all right in Pine with the Case, but it only has a 40" saw on it also. As soon as i hook up the Massey to it i have a 46" saw to put on it. With the 40" saw you use the Johnsered top saw pretty often on anything over 20" diameter.  :laugh:I have just seen that outside links are not allowed so i suspect my photos will get pulled since my wife is the only one that knows how to post pictures here ,when i can get her to do it. i probably wont be posting many  pictures. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Cutting Edge

loggah,

That is one fine looking set-up.  Looks like you have the support equipment to go along with it!   smiley_thumbsup
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

loggah

I do have an assortment of junk hanging around!! Don

shelbycharger400

Took a quick measurement in the snowbank. My m14 has 10 foot carrage,  68 in between the headblocks.   Now looking at your phots, you have a center support sprocket inbetween on the 1 inch tie rod,  mine dose not.  .   Also the uprights are really short on your mill. Mine are 4 foot.  Maybe mine was upgraded for a bigger wheel? they are excessive and going to get cut down.  . The farmer said very little and that it was only used one time. Mine came with a 42 inch insert tooth blade, and never had a board splitter.  So with a 42 in blade, reading it can only do an 18 in dia log basically.   Other than that, was told mine is a 1978.      still trying to decypher the tag what the last numbers mean,  m14/04 0

loggah

Mine had 3 headblocks,i took the middle one out because it was a real pain with crooked wood ,if i was sawing real short wood i would take the end dog off and put it on the middle one. i think my uprights are around 3' high. The belsaw book says a 21" dia. log with a 40" blade,and a 24" dia.log with a 46" saw. A24" log is plenty big when your rolling them with a cantdog. Don

shelbycharger400

I have never seen one with a triple setup.   I was thinking about making mine into a triple due to all the really short logs I get,  I had my slabber almost finished when I found mine.  Clamping them in my slabber isnt too bad as I took that into play, But I have several truckloads of them from a logging job I did.   Is yours a 10 foot carrage or 14 foot ?

loggah

Mine is only a 10 Ft carriage,

bandmiller2

Nice setup Don,it will be a real treat to have more power.Do you have anyone local that tensions mill saws.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

loggah

There is a guy in Ashland about 14 miles from me that does it,and Fitz saw in rumney ,but i haven't had to have mine done yet,it runs pretty well at around 550 -560 rpm. There was a guy in Lyndonville Vt, Bruce Dexter that used to do it but he sold out to someone in Orange Mass, at least thats what i was told. Don

thurlow

Neat set-up!  When they were still in business, F-B usta publish a quarterly trade magazine and would sometimes having pictures of folks pulling a mill with a Super C Farmall or something similar;  don't think one could saw much of a log with that kind of power.  The operator's manual says a M-14 w/10 ft carriage and 46 inch blade will handle a 24 inch by 14 ft log;  I've sawed larger and longer logs, but that's really overloading the mill.

Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

loggah

Nice looking Red Oak !! I am going to lengthen mine out so i have 50' of track,i got some 10" channel iron i will be using .i am going to make the end where i roll the logs on,where it takes the most strain out of it,and move 1 section of the regular belsaw frame to the other end, and i probably will lengthen the carriage to 16 or 18 feet, to keep the chatter down on long logs. I intend to be able to saw 24 feet long timbers "OCCASIONALLY" !! ;D ;D Don

dgdrls

loggah,

Dandy mill and sawshed,  great photos also,

DGDrls

mikeb1079

nice setup loggah!!  i dig your old machines man, especially the lombard.  this pic is my fav...i can just imagine you saying:  "hey you kids stay away from my sawmill!"   :D :D

btw you're so close to posting pics.  what i do is just take those jpeg images and get em on your computer.  then you can upload them into your ff gallery.  then i just copy and paste into my post. 
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

captain_crunch

here is a look at mine

M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

loggah

Capt. I have 2 sets of rollers that i am going to put up this spring after i modify the mill. i see that you lengthened either end of your carriage. I have some pictures of my portable Belsaw unit i have i lengthened the carriage to 14' on that one,maybe my wife will get them into the gallary and i can get them in here. nice looking unit !I really like that log turner ,but i dont have room for one like it at the moment.   Don

loggah

Well ,my link has probably been deleted,my computer is to old to post the gallery pictures here its an old mac powerbook,my wife  can do it with her newer computer ,but since this is my hobby and not hers i doubt you guys will see many more pictures :( :( Don

bandmiller2

Don,your wise to beef up the loading turning area,Belsaws are a marvel of simplicity but won't take abuse.I really like Cappy Crunchs turners I use the same principal where you pull the log/cant twords you and it slides back on the carriage with minimal shock.Its nice to be able to handle the long ones I can do 18' with a tailwind. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

loggah

On my log brow i have 2 heavy grader cutting edges that have bolt holes about 6" apart, when i turn the cant i roll it onto the edges and then can slide it back by putting my peavey pike in the holes and sliding the cant back onto the carriage. Don

captain_crunch

where I have a 4in I beam for ridge rafter the chain hoist and tongs work wonders for dealing with bigger logs

In top pic in earlier post you can see a couple other modifactions like 1/2X3/4 strips welded accross carrage at knees which not only renforce carrage but gives a little clearance for them pesky knots you never see till log is on carrage >:(  And the piece of 2in shaft on far side of carrage to keep it from rocking up.
Log in second pic is 16 ft I can cut 20 ft but kinda a pain getting them on deck with only 6in left between roof posts.
If you want to email me some of your pics to babffosterAT msn.com and put mill pics in as subject I can take a run at posting them for you
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

loggah

Capt. I had seen about welding the   strips on your other posts great idea i probably will do something like that when i extend the mill, and i know exactly what you mean about the knots!! I made my building short just  so i can put long stuff on,and off with  a tractor ,or log loader i have access to a couple logging trucks with log loaders on them. The building is long enough to keep the carriage and center part of the mill under cover.I appreciate the offer to post pictures,but my wife can do it when she gets around to it,she has a newer computer. Don

reride82

Loggah, that mill looks good! Extending the carriage isn't to bad if you have all the parts and pieces. I extended mine out to 20+ feet. The longest I have cut so far has been 25 feet. Basically, I used a carriage from an old a-14 belsaw that I got off of craigslist. The dimensions of the carriage was different from the m-14, but the track wheels, dogs, and setworks were basically the same so I fabbed up a new frame using those components and bolted/welded it to my existing carriage.

The 2 inside dogs are only about 46" apart for sawing short logs.
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

loggah

Reride, Thats a good job ,i remember your posts and thought it was a neat way you put the engine over the frame. I already have all the steel i need ,i work part time in a local scrap yard with my cat scrap shear and i pretty much get my pick of the goodies at scrap price. I keep my eyes open for any sawmill parts. I have a 14' carriage on my portable Belsaw unit that i built,it would be real nice to find another Carriage and just bolt them together. Don

captain_crunch

Thank You Sponsors!