iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Adding grapple to gooseneck trailer

Started by jtmanniii, June 15, 2014, 08:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtmanniii

Hello. I have a PJ 16', 14k goose neck dump trailer. Has anyone mounted a grapple system to a goose neck trailer like this? I've seen on Bailey's website that their units can be mounted on a goose neck, but haven't heard back from them. With this trailer's capacity, it seems redundant to get an entirely new trailer, loader, and grapple system. This is my first post, so be gentle.

Corley5

The trailer frame needs to be very stout where the loader is mounted.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum! There are a couple of members that have done that. I have a 20' GN that had a knuckleboom mounted on the front of it.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

jtmanniii

The frame is a 10" x 4" I beam. With outriggers, I would think that would be sufficient.

jtmanniii

Dave, did you add it as an aftermarket? What brand? Would you do it over again?

Corley5

You start swinging logs of any size it puts a heckuva twist and strain on the frame where the loader is attached.

Corley5

Something else to take into account is the weight of the loader and the resulting loss of payload capacity.

Jhenderson

Where do you intend to mount the loader? The dump body covers the frame. If you try to mount on the neck itself you probably will have A great deal more leverage over the mount. That trailer already weighs about 5000lbs plus loader and there not much payload left.

Dave Shepard

Corley mentions the other thing I had in mind. I didn't read that it was a dump trailer. That is already a heavy trailer, and adding a ton of log loader is really going to cut into your payload. The only way to run a loader of any kind on a gooseneck is to have outriggers, or you will most likely bend your frame like a twizzler. :o I didn't have the KB mounted on the gooseneck, that was a friend of mine. The trailer is only a 12k, but fairly well built. He welded two 8"x8" box tubes across the front right on the deck and then welded the KB to those. The KB had outrigger to support itself while loading. He was moving blocks of marble with it and setting them on jobsites.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

jtmanniii

Thanks for the reality check. I hadn't considered the reduction in payload  due to trailer and loader weight.
Looks like I'm back to a trailer/loader combo.

glassman_48

jtmanniii,
If you google grapple dump trailers there is another company besides baileys (cant remember their name) you might be able to get some more ideas. 

thecfarm

Maybe Blue Ox was the name.
jtmanniii,welcome to the forum.A member put a grapple on a gooseneck, no dump on it.I think last summer?? Seem like the loader came off from a forestry trailer??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

redprospector

I put a Farma 51D on my 16' 14K gooseneck dump last fall. I think Farma is the one Bailey's used to sell, I got mine used.
It does weigh a couple of thousand pounds, and it's right up front. I mounted mine in the neck, which took a little modification, but not too bad. It works pretty good for my purpose.
This is what it looks like today.  ;D

1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Thank You Sponsors!