iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone know stuff about Stihl brushcutters ?

Started by Viking, November 24, 2003, 03:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

I've got a Stihl FS 420 burshcutter, and I lent it to someone over the summer and when they returned it I couldnt not get it to start, so I called them and asked them what they did to it and they said the "tuned" the cab.... So now I have a very, very hard to trying to get it start, when i do manage to get it to start it just rev's really high, it dosent idle either. Does anyone here know how to tune the carb so its back to normal.

He said he touched the High and Low screws.

*sigh* I know who im not lending any tools to anymore.

Kevin

Proper fuel mixture, clean air filter.
Both screws turned clockwise until they stop "EASY" .
Both screws out 1 to 1 1/4 turn.

breederman

I have a fs 85 the adjustments are marked on the cover near the screws. Hi speed no more than 3/4 turn low speed 1 turn. After warm up adjust the idle screw so that the blade does not rotate.
   Hope that helps. I assume yours is bigger than mine so carb may be different?
Together we got this !

Viking

thanks guys, ill try that maybe tomrrow, i also gotta get a new elastostart cord haha, it kinda broke.

ive got the same problem...almost, its not the high and low, but its the idle.. anyway "same brushcutteR"

you know how you squeeze the throttle, then pull the start button back, and when you let go out the throttle the start button stays on, anyway i do that, start it up and it revs really high, and when i grab the throttle it just dies down and stalls, what is the problem can anyone gimme the correctly idle settings for this saw ?

SwampDonkey

I have an FS 550 and I find that the air filter is the heart of most problems. Keep it clean often. And the air filter has a grey mesh attached to the plastic screening. I found by removing that grey mesh, which is as thin as paper, I get better air flow and no stalling out. Only burn high octane fuels in your saw too. You shouldn't have to fiddle much with the carb if you keep filters clean and check your plug. This saw revs higher than a huskey thinning saw, but doesn't have the torque.

Do you folks find that your primer button breaks down quickly? My saw is practicely new, only cut 4 ha of thinning and that primer button has a hole in it already. Wonder what one is new. There's practicely no warrantee (90 days) on saws used in professional thinning.  :-/
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

yeah tell me about it, this saw has cute about 80-100 ha, it was used by more than one person, every day from spring-fall. it worked great, up untill "i think someone" messed with the idle =/.

Randall

What's you guys opinions about Stihls vs. Husq. Brushcutters? I'm going to buy one and this gets me worried about Stihls.  :-/

beenthere

I have a Stihl, and couldn't be happier. It has performed without a hiccup or whimper for 8 years, as did a smaller Stihl that I had before that. Never had a Husq so can't compare them. I run it to keep about 15 acres of woods clean (I wish) of buckthorn, prickly ash, gooseberry, etc. as well as do the trimming with the string trimmer. Sits all winter, runs all spring, summer, and fall. I would get another Stihl in a heartbeat, if it ever stops tickin.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Haytrader

Use Kevin's idea.
Get it to runnin and warm up a little.
Then let it idle and tweak the low screw till it idles like ya want it to.
Then squeeze  the throttle wide open and tweak the high screw till you get the highest RPM.
Let it idle again and see if that changed.
Adjust a little if needed.
Shut it off. If it starts easy, you are there.
If it don't, do all the above over.
Have a little patience.

I bought four chainsaws at an auction and the guy selling was a dealer. None ran. 45 minutes and they were all running with the above method.
Haytrader

SwampDonkey

If your going to be thinning mixedwood or softwood I highly recommend the Stihl FS 550. But, if your thinning in hardwood then you will like the extra torque from the Husky better. Also, it is an art to sharpening a thinning saw blade. The teeth when sharpened look like eagle claws, be sure to set the teeth properlly too. This will improve your productivity no matter what saw. When you get your new blade just follow to sharpening instructions on the carten. Get a good tooth setter  tool, those sets that come on the file guage are too week and they slip off.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!