iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pin-less moisture meters

Started by Woodslabs, July 20, 2015, 08:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodslabs

Can someone recommend a good pin-less moisture meter that doesn't cost a gazzilion dollars? :)
check out www.woodslabs.ca

Magicman

I have a Wagner that only cost ½ a gazzilion dollars.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Woodslabs

WDH

I have the MMC210.  You are looking at $375.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I was sure that my old analog Wagner L606 was no longer available so I did some Googling.

Much to my surprise, the EBAY price is a gazzilion dollars.  :o

Here is the one that WDH has:  Wagner
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I have upgraded to the digital version of the L606, but used the 606 for many years...maybe 20.

It is important to use the same MC meter that your customer will use.  If you use a different brand or type, then you will likely see some differences in MC and the customer may complain that you have lumber that is too wet or too dry.

A key component of the painless is getting the correct density number.  Some old values are not correct.  For example, cottonwood is better at 0.44.  Further, variations in density of the wood cause variations in MC readings, even though there are not actual MC variations.

For those that do not know about meters, they are useful for measuring dry lumber MCs, but not above 28% MC, so they are not very good for running a kiln on a day to day basis.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WDH

The density variations within a board leads to different m% in different places on the board when using the pinless meter, and that can be confusing. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Woodslabs

I bought a used wrangler MMC 210 meter but for some reason it looks to be inaccurate.  Like my maple dining room table measures at like 23%. All my air drying wood at 32%.  For some reason every measurement i take is really high.  Anyone know what could be the issue?  I know about changing the species.  Any help would be great.

it gives me a 12-15% reading just in the air

Thanks,
Mike

Woodslabs

Nm i changed the battery and it now works fine.  This thing is great.  One thing i noticed is how unevenly wood dries.  Some areas can differ by 5%+

Escavader

Wagner hand held like in pic before.but a Wagner with a 4 ft wand to reach middle of stickered packs for my kiln.zillion dollars times3
Alan Bickford
Hammond lumber company/Yates American A20 planer with dbl profilers Newman feed table multiple saw trimmer destacker automatic stacking machine Baker resaw MS log corner machine  4 large capacity Nyles dehumidification kilns JCB 8000 lb forklifts woodmizer lt 15 and mp100 and blower

fat olde elf

Another great reason to attend the annual Pig Roast is that you may win a Wagner 220 pinless moisture meter. I did on August 1, 2015

Another great reason to attend the annual Pig Roast is that you may win a Wagner 220 pinless moisture  meter.  I did on August 1.2015......... WDH came right up and showed me what I had won.
I am forever grateful.............Mark the first Saturday in August............

Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!