iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A path for a sustainable economic forest in New Brunswick: Crown Land Task Force

Started by SwampDonkey, November 27, 2011, 06:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

In April 2011, the Honorable Bruce Northrup, Minister of the Department of Natural Resources (DNR), struck the New Brunswick Crown Land Task Force with a mandate to develop an actionable report that, building upon the considerable consultative work previously undertaken in this area, would make recommendations on the establishment of a timber objective for New Brunswick Crown lands. (See Appendix 1.)
Members of the task force were Norm Betts (Chair), Andrea Feunekes and Roger Clinch.
While the mandate is specific to the establishment of a timber objective, the task force concluded that any recommendation in the report must be fiscally mindful and that any recommendation made in isolation from the context of the broader economic goal would be remiss. Comments on the governance and cost structure of Crown forest land management, and maximizing provincial economic benefits by strategically allocating Crown wood to primary and secondary manufacturers are included in this report. The report's recommendations are focused on three areas: achieving a specific, measurable economic goal; the 2012-2017 NB Crown Forest Land Management Plan process; and, most importantly, the structure that will set the stage for a prosperous and sustainable Crown forest and forest land management for generations to come.

Report (1.5 MB PDF)

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Gary_C

I had to look hard to find their recommendations as they are buried in the report, but here seems to be the major one.

Recommendation:
The task force recommends that the forest management functions of DNR be established as a separate
Special Operating Agency (SOA). The organization would have both revenue line and expense line
responsibility and be mandated as a profit centre responsible for maximizing the economic value derived
from that portion of the forest designated as the working forest, which has fibre production as its primary
objective.
Within the SOA, a position of "Chief Forester" should be established. That position would be accountable
to maximize the economic benefits from Crown forest fibre production directly and to maximize the
forest sector economic value in general. The "Chief Forester" will report on performance measures and
meet third-party specified environmental stewardship certification.
Legislation or regulation should be developed to give independence, responsibility and accountability to
the SOA and the "Chief Forester." The status of this position could emulate that of the Auditor General.

This recommendation is not taken lightly. Consultations with officials within and outside government
convinced the task force that this model could be effective in having the Crown forest move toward
becoming a profit centre, while reducing bureaucracy and red tape.

So in order to change the problem of lower revenues, they recommend that another organization be established with a Chief Forester. Sounds like a good government response.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

There is a private woodlot component coming in the new year that ties in as well.

They should have been running our public forest as a profit venture from the start. And not allow the mill capacity to over run forest productivity. Heck, my grandfather and other folks that didn't have a forestry degree said they where over cutting 30 years ago. They didn't have access to the numbers, but they had eyes and woods sense.

One item you may have overlooked is the recommendation that the industry invest in order to hold onto their license volumes. Those that are serious about staying and investing can secure their license. Those that don't will eventually be looking elsewhere. That's really not a recommendation, they will do either anyway. Always have.

One recommendation I like is set a target with silviculture and stop this fluctuating the budget up and down year to year.

I don't know how it will all play out because I've seen 10 such reports put on a shelf and the good old boys continue the status quo. Or the next government comes along and wipes any ideas off the slate pressured by lobby campaigns.

The government is great for making jobs out of writing reports. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!