iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can I plant evergreens in the Northeast during winter?

Started by RobbyRob, December 10, 2011, 08:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbyRob

I talked to someone who is willing to give up some evergreens, I want to plant them now but there is snow on the ground, ground not really frozen too much YET I am not sure if it is too late in the season to transplant a tree.
Any help?
nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future

bill m

How big are they? Are they B&B or are they still in the ground?
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

WDH

Generally, it is best to plant trees in their dormant season, like now.  The earlier in the dormant season, the better as they get a chance to put on some root growth before Spring.  December is good.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

We plant yard trees in the spring time before the buds break for best survival. A late fall planting can result is dehydration and the roots won't grow in cold ground. I have an acre of white spruce I transplanted from thickets behind the house to an open field patch. I did it all in April as soon as the frost was about gone, they all survived. Been doing it that way for 30 years. I actually have some more to get in that area this spring. Might as well be trees as weeds, especially red osier.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

I do not have much frozen tundra experience.  What works down here might not work there with the glaciation  :).  Down here, there is still some root growth in the winter.  I should have realized that in the winter up there, everything is froze solid. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Just like grits up here,they can't survive the winters. The ice is too think and the pipes are buried at least 4 feet deep.  :D  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Grits go with shallow pipes.  You do not have shallow pipes.  So, if A=B, and B=C, than A=C.  Transitive theory of Mathematics.  So, no grits for you.

Now, I finally figured out why you do not have any grits in the pantry.  Your pipes are too deep  :D.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

:D :D

A man has to use logic to figure out these things  :).

Dodgy Loner

Danny, you logic seems to get more illogical with each passing day ???
:D :D :D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

RobbyRob

Hey, I got a deal on 50 colorado spruce's and 20 blue spruces and 30 silver spruce and want to transplant them now in central upstate NY.
The winter is mild this year and they can be dug up and planted the same day so.. Can I do this now or is it too late for season since it's winter?
nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future

Jeff

I've merged this with the first time you asked the question. It is not nessesary to post the same question in multiple areas of the forum. If you can not remember where you happen to make a post, go to your profile, and under the ling that says profile info, click on show posts, any you will see only the posts you have made.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

RobbyRob
Lost near a month of Dec. now, and it might freeze up sometime soon in NY.
When are you going to plant them?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

What is your location?

NY State is big and has several temperature ranges.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

RobbyRob

Jeff is right, I did post this before. Thanks for letting me know how to check my posts.

Well I just heard we are getting single digit temps so I will wait on the transplants.

BTW When I do it, do I have to dig up the entire tap root? These trees are 6 feet high and the tap root can go that deep. If I break the tap root will the spruce's make it?

SwampDonkey

There is no taproot for spruce, they root shallow within a foot of the topsoil. Dig up and transplant in spring time before the buds break. Just as soon as you can dig in the ground. April'ish! They will not grow a lot for a couple years and then resume growth at normal pace depending on soil.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

KBforester

I'd shoot for digging up the smallest trees you can find... the bigger the tree, but bigger the root ball you need for good survival rates. Most people cut them way too small and they end up stunted or dead. Watering is even more important with a large replanted tree.

Studies have shown that after a period of time (10 years or so) seedlings can surpass the height of a planted sapling. 
Trees are good.

SwampDonkey

Yeah I never try to transplant any spruce taller than knee high. I have to go that tall because a container seedling would die in tall grass that I plant in. Don't want to use chemicals. I planted some a couple years ago on a barn site, they all lived because they were stout seedlings and the leaders are 12+ now. I planted some red spruce container stock there and they lived but they are very slow. They are very shade tolerant, that allowed them to survive the grass and dogwood.

Thank You Sponsors!