iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Magnetic sawing scales

Started by dmcc, May 13, 2004, 09:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmcc

I am considering offering magnetic sawing scales for sale, similiar to the ones TimberKing uses now. I have not been able to find what I need so I am designing my own, and thought that others might be interested also.
 The scale will just stick to one of the posts on most mills. I think they would work great on a lot of mills, and could really help somone building their own mill ( or be a backup to computer setworks ;)). They work like a sliding scale, you just move the scale to where you want to start. The really nice part is if you want a completely different scale you just peel one off and stick another on.
 I will be starting with a "construction dimension lumber scale" with markings for 1x at 13/16, 2x at 1 5/8, 4x at 3 5/8, and 6x at 5 3/4 finished cut.
 The next one I make will be for 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, and 8/4 finished cut. I am figuring 3/16 kerf on both scales (unless feedback shows something else to be more popular). Both scales will start at the bottom so you can end up correct at the bottom without extra math. They could also be put on a piece of steel if you really want it to slide.
 The price will depend upon setup and material costs, but I hope to sell them around $12 to $15, plus about $4 shipping.
 Let me know if you are interested, and if I need to change any measurements. Also please let me know if somebody already offers this, I'm not trying to step on any toes! Thanks for your input!

"Still looking for that one BIG log"

smwwoody

I may be interested in one of each of the 4/4 5/4 6/4 8/4 and one that is set up for 2" finished   Do you have an pic's?
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

dmcc

smwwoody,
 I will post some pictures next week of the one I have from Timberking (it has 1", 2" and 4" finished). I left it with the graphic designers to see what they could do.
 They will be 1 3/4" wide, fits on 2" square tubing perfectly. On my Timberking I can put one scale on the left post and one on the right and use whichever one I need.
Thanks,
Darren
"Still looking for that one BIG log"

Thank You Sponsors!