iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ya tell em and ya tell em, do they listen?

Started by Ed_K, May 15, 2004, 06:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed_K

The other day my BIL say "I have a log for you to saw" I say under 19". Well friday I get home from cutting RP and here what I see on the mill.

It took all sat afternoon but I got 100' out of it, in 1" some as wide as 15" 7' long. 345 was pretty hot slabin.
 Heres my tree hugger.

And an old fart playing, sorry for making this so long, ya just never know what your going to saw next  ;D.

Ed K

Bibbyman

Looks like your work space is a little tight!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

shopteacher

You need to get a piece of plywood and cut a 19" hole in it and leave it there at the mill. Letter it to say "If ends of log don't fit in hole - return when it does"  :D Kind of like learning support for some of the not as quick to catch on kids.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Fla._Deadheader

Don'T get excited, but, you can only cut 19" with your mill???

What's the HP???

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Shamus

Did you just through-cut the sucker, without turning? Also, it looks like the log had two centers/piths, or just strange checking pattern?  ???
Anyhow, I hope you charged extra for BIL's interpretive hearing and your sweat and tears. Milling's a mule without hydraulical apparati... ;)
D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

rvrdivr

That is an interesting pith. I'm guessing two trees grew together. What type of wood? I like to see some pictures of the cut wood please  :).

Ed_K

Bibbyman,
 It is tight, when the mill was outside and I measured around the area I was using I thought take measurements add 2' and we'll be ok   NOT  :o. Its 10' x 30'. next time it will be 30' x 90'.

Shopteacher,
 bil would just use the loader and push the plywood over  ::).

Fla. Deadheader,
 Its the small EZ Baker w/ 16 hp. It runs good till I try white ash.

Shamus,
 I positioned the log so the double crotch was straight up and down, chainsawed a slab off top and sides til it fit thru the tunnel and then cut 4/4. The crotch only went in a foot, so I got 6' of clear on 3 cuts. I turned 90 and took 2 cuts, good wood but had two pin knots centered at 3' and 5'. turned again, and cut 4 and ran into the pith. turned again cut some not to good, pretty pattern but knoty.when to first side and sawed to pith. then took sides till I got a 4x4 pith.
 The log was hard maple cut 9' above the butt to first branch.
 I'll get pict when we move it monday
Ed K

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Shamus

Way to work it Ed. Slabbing with a chainsaw always makes me a little nervous, but its gotta be done sometimes. How do you deal with your sawdust in that mad lab of yours?  ???
     I've been milling a fair bit of soft maple, still waiting to find some figure in it. Biggest I've milled is probably about 28", no hydraulics. Sure made the mill creak and groan, pretty wood though.
D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

Ed_K

Jeff,
 yup thats me  ;D.
 I got a pict or 2.

Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!