iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The perfect log-hauling trailer (for me)

Started by Hokiemill, May 23, 2004, 04:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hokiemill

Thought I'd show-off my most recent find.  It's a Triple-L trailer that fits my goals perfectly.  I'm trying to get equipment to skid, haul, mill, and dry on the cheap and within tight space constraints.  I have the mill (used Lucas 6") and now the trailer: 10' bed length, 6' wide, 7,000 lb capacity.  The very best part is that I don't have to worry about how to winch logs onto the trailer - 12v battery and hydraulics lower and raise the entire bed to ground level.  Even better is the fact that I got it for $2k when they run about $8k new.  Now for the winch, kiln, and a little bit of room to work with.

Here it is in the normal, up position:

Here it is in the down position, ready for logs to be dragged on:

I'm one happy dude ;D ;D ;D

Mobilesawyer

That thing is really cool. What was it originally built for?
When the deck is up is there some sort of pin lock system.
What about axels and suspension ???

D._Frederick

Hokiemill,

Neat!!!!  should help save the old back.Will the lift system raise the 7000lbs or is that axle rating?

ScottAR

Great trailer!

One of the rental places here has one.  They haul small manlifts on it to our store.  Those things are really low to the ground and it's a much better system than the another place they sometimes rent from that just has a tilt bed.  We have to push the manlift up the ramp with a forklift.   ::)
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

rebocardo

Wow, that looks nice. If you have a digital camera could you take some close up pictures of the frame and axle set up? Might be a cool thing to build.

Mark M

I ain't never seen anything like that :o

It's pretty cool!

Hokiemill

Mobilesawyer,
Like ScottAR mentioned, these are basically equipment trailers for skidsteers, scissorlifts, etc that allow you to drive right onto the bed. There is a mechanical latch to hold the bed in the "up" position.  The trailer is supposed to be able to lift the entire rated capacity.  There are two companies that I know of that make these - see jlg.com and biljax.com.

I'll try to get more detailed pictures over the next couple days and post them for you guys.

I did come across a guy in NY who has a 10' and a 12' trailer for same - practically new, but still priced out of my range at $4500.  If anyone is interested let me know and I'll forward you his email.

ADfields

They were first built for small vibratory compactors (steam rollers) for driveway/parking lot paving contractors and rental stores that move them a lot.   Compactors will just sit and spin the drum (steel on steel) when you try and drive them up a normal tilt bed trailer.   The trailers are heavy built to lift the rating and more.   But they are a bit of a heavy trailer to tow because of the extra steel needed to make up for the lack of axles under them.   2 grand is a DanG good price for it! 8) 8)
Andy

oldsaw

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Thank You Sponsors!