iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Automatic diesel bleed?

Started by Satamax, August 05, 2018, 08:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody! 

Well, i have my crane, which cuts out often, due to a air lock.

I know automatic air vents exist for several systems. But, have you ever seen one for diesel lines? 

Thanks a lot. 

Max.  
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

mike_belben

If you have a recurring air issue its likely a cracked hose on the suction side of fuel system constantly introducing new air.  

I have seen badly airbound pumps take a lot of fussing to fully clear the lines and run good, but once they did it stayed good.  Yours should too. 
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Well. Thanks Mike. 

Most of the fuel lines are on the presure side. There is a tiny bit between the fuel tank, and the pump. Less than 4 inches. The plunger in the tank is all metal. 

I might look into a wet pump. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

mike_belben

That is a pretty short stretch to be the culprit.  If its tired looking at all id probably just replace it to cross that off the list. Can you verify that the draw tube is in good shape?  No corrosion on top above the fuel level?  A pin hole there would do it for sure. 

I dont know what engine or fuel system were discussing so im at a disadvantage here.  Does the machine give hard first starts on a daily basis?  Does it "make" engine oil thats mighty thin and fuely?  A pump leaking down into the crank case will take in crankcase air as it leaks off its fuel.  

Airdog and FASS are the big name hotrod electric pumps that claim to separate air out of the fuel.  Cant tell you if its true or not but all the coal rollers swear by them. 
Praise The Lord

Satamax

It's the perkins on this one giving me grief. 

AT4.236 engine. Starts up nicely, when it's not too not cold outside. I start having trouble to start it early in the mornings in october or november. But the pre heating is long gone. I can see bubbles in the clear line from fuel filter, to the injection pump. 

mike_belben

Im still thinking the issue will be some silly little thing on the suction side.  Eventually it wont start and youll be digging into it one way or the other. 
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Does that Perkins have the clear sediment bowls with the gasket between the bowl and filter?

Oliver05262

Does that engine have a mechanical transfer pump on the side of the engine block, driven by a lobe on the camshaft? If so, is there any fuel seeping from the outside of the pump? Massey-Ferguson tractors that I have worked on had these start to leak after they had run many hours, and usually leaked to the outside; some had a weephole to let this leakage to escape. Earlier pumps might leak to the inside, into the crankcase, and dilute the engine oil, usually due to the pump diaphragm starting to fail, and there used to be a rebuild kit available to repair this.
 The Massey tractors, with their fuel tank above the engine, could leak a lot of fuel into the engine but never got air in or failed to start, but they were also noted as being pretty oily anyway on the outside..............
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

kiko

Air bubbles in the clear line you say? After you fix that suction leak you will good. Check all the fuel connections esp any 90' fittings.  Or you could ship it over here for me to repair. It will take me several years to fix.  I could find lots of uses for that tractor. What is model number if you don't mind. I will be on the lookout for one.

Satamax

Thanks a lot guys, for all of your replies. 

Skeans1, yes, i have cav filters with glass bowls.  One with no filter, modified into a air trap, which doesn't work obviously.  One, as a single way filter. All returns from injection pump, injectors etc, is onto another line. And both of those are under pressure from the pump. 

Oliver05262, the mechanical pump has been replaced by an electrical pump, right on the fuel tank. So bleeding is not such a chore anymore. And i don't have the leaking problems known with the masseys. 

Kiko, too heavy to ship overseas, sorry. 

Ut's a Contant Quattro. Based on massey and landini finest, a proper bitza. 

Basicaly, the engine comes from the MF 60HX backhoe, as well as the gearbox, with a powershift.  The trasfer case, is an add on. Don't know where from. It's right under the gearbox. 

Axles are from a Landini 10000DT, both are front axles. The dashboard is from the landini 8550dt. As well as some other parts.  The crane is homemade by the manufacturer, Roux industries. Near Toulouse. 

A bit of info, on the "base" in english. 

- Yesterday's Tractors

And a bit more in French. 

VALTRAC qui connaƮt ?

Skeans1

Are all the gaskets good on those filters? The one in the filter head? The bowl side? The small ones for the bolts?
We've had that issue with our Perkins 6 cylinder in the forwarder.

Satamax

Skeans1, i know that those filters are crap. But they're under pressure from the pump. So they shouldn't get air in. And all the gaskets are fairly new, one on the fuel filter is from last autumn. 

Thank You Sponsors!