Started by Stephen_Wiley, September 17, 2004, 06:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen_Wiley

Been looking at some interesting figures recently:

Total Harvest

1900 = 12.1 billion cu. ft.
1973 = 12.3 billion cu. ft.
2000 = 16.0 billion cu. ft.

Been talking about 'drag saws' and in the past the 'ole misery whip' as it was known when it was dull.

The figures above impressed me with: the possible knowledge that some of the old tools when sharpened and correctly used may have equaled our modern day chainsaws, heavy equipment and work.

Now before you all get excited, I know there are other factors e.g. availability of bigger trees, etc., which those of the past had but these numbers reflect not just the saws but the machinery to get them to market.  

Sounds like modern day equipment has not advance as much as we may have thought.  With new regulatory controls we may even be falling backwards. ::)
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

sprucebunny

The numbers may also reflect that now just about every cutting operation is reported whereas in the 1900s when someone cleared thier own land or thier neighbors it may not have been. The people who cut the wood used it rather than sold it.
Also in 1900 there was alot less forest to cut, at least in the East cause so much of it had been cut in the recent past for charcoal.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

D._Frederick

Steve,

In the 1900 time people worked in the woods for a few dollars a day and life was cheap, if they got hurt or killed there would people standing in line to get that job. It would be interesting to know how many hours per board ft it took in the old days to modern times.

Ron Wenrich

In my area, you'll find charcoal flats.  These were places where they used to burn the wood down to charcoal for the iron ore process.  

I was marking a job that went to a spot that had lots of rocks and a steep grade.  We didn't mark it because we didn't think a guy could take a skidder to it.  But, we did find an old mule trail that lead to a charcoal flat.

I've often come across old ways that really astound me.  All the old canals were dug without any power equipment.  All the old farms were cleared using axe and horses.  

Technology has its advantages in production.  But, equipment has limitations.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Furby

I think part of it was not just the man hours, but the amount of men on a job. If we had the same amount of men in the woods, with todays equipment, I think we would run out of woods real fast.

SwampDonkey

Imagine having to auger out  by hand, 1000 feet of cedar rails to make water pipe from the spring house. My grandfather and his brother did, when they bought a farm together back in the 30's. The spring would go dry in summer and they had to carry water from another spring hole across the main road.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!