iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old belsaw sawmill questions before possible purchase

Started by Wallee, July 03, 2015, 09:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallee

As I am sure several of you on here are already aware, I am in the market for a mill to cut a few ties on and some various lumber for the public. I ran into a craigslist find of a old running belsaw sawmill that the guy has been using to cut ties on. Said he was cutting around 40 or so a weekend on it and he is selling due to buying a bigger frick mill setup. Pros and cons of this vs. say a possible lt15 wm brand new?
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Wallee

Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

beenthere

Many of them. And a bit of searching on the forum will give you a lot of their experiences if interested.
Also, hanging in there with your questions will illicit some responses.

The Belsaw should cut ties quite well, as will the lt15.

Your handling equipment likely will be important factors, but your interest in learning a circular sawmill vs. a band sawmill most likely the real kicker.

What is your experience with each?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Wallee

Quote from: beenthere on July 04, 2015, 07:39:34 PM
Many of them. And a bit of searching on the forum will give you a lot of their experiences if interested.
Also, hanging in there with your questions will illicit some responses.

The Belsaw should cut ties quite well, as will the lt15.

Your handling equipment likely will be important factors, but your interest in learning a circular sawmill vs. a band sawmill most likely the real kicker.

What is your experience with each?

Grew up running a circular mill with my grandfather, I ran the carriage. He was the sawyer. My brother did the off bearing and father helped stack. I know nothing about a bandmill but helping a friend up the road cut a few boards on his hyd woodmizer. (been trying to contact him for a week about my interest in mills and he has offered me to purchase his in the past and he isnt answering.) So I know a little about a circle mill and next to nothing on a band mill. Just seen a few bandmills work and produce pretty lumber.

I have a fel and log truck for support equipment and also several cant hooks from 48" to 60".

beenthere

Then I'd suspect you'd really enjoy the Belsaw the most.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

East ky logging

I never ran a belsaw but I had a old hill- Curtis circle mill and I sold it and got a lt15 and couldn't be happier.a circle mill will out cut it but what time I was spending trying to keep it going was ridiculous. Put a blade on a bandsaw and a little gas and saw what you need
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

Possum Creek

I cut ties, cants and lumber with a belsaw in my spare time not a professional by any means and I don't know much about bandmills other than watching a few saw but here's my 2 cents,  a belsaw works pretty good for sawing ties for 1 or 2 men, like any circle mill it makes lots of dust. The bandmill would be best in sawing lumber in better logs but probably more expensive. I can saw 20 ties a day by myself with my belsaw but here lately the trouble is getting the logs out. Pros for the belsaw is most likely less than half the price of the LT15 and probably a little faster also I can saw a long time on the same bits using only a file for sharpening. Cons are lots of dust, no replacement parts, takes up more room, needs to have a good power unit with a governor  and the belsaw is pretty light built for a sawmill. If you can get plenty of tie logs and got 2 or 3 friends wanting a job I would do like the guy selling the belsaw and find a Frick. Hope this helps.     PC

beenthere

Wallee
Here is a good read on circular mills and their setup.
Just in case some of the things you saw working with your grandpa need some names attached and how the parts go together and are tweaked.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf

X2 what Possum Creek suggests... ;)
south central Wisconsin

East ky logging

I agree with possum creek if you can get a circle mill to cut right a bandsaw wont get the production and that's all I cut is ties and pallet cants. I'm just saying in my case I'm better off sawing 25 ties everyday one a bandsaw than I am sawing 50 every now and then on a wore out circle mill. I'm not saying it was a bad piece of equipment It just needed more time and money than I want to invest
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

Wallee

Quote from: East ky logging on July 04, 2015, 10:41:11 PM
I agree with possum creek if you can get a circle mill to cut right a bandsaw wont get the production and that's all I cut is ties and pallet cants. I'm just saying in my case I'm better off sawing 25 ties everyday one a bandsaw than I am sawing 50 every now and then on a wore out circle mill. I'm not saying it was a bad piece of equipment It just needed more time and money than I want to invest

Are you cutting ties on your lt15? How many a day can you do? Also guys my dad is in business with me on halfs so there will always be 2 men running whatever mill I get. He is freshly retired and ready to work!

Ianab

My opinion - The issue with a larger circle saw is you need several guys to keep it humming. Otherwise the speed advantage is lost as you have to move around to reset the carriage, move slabs etc. Could you run one alone? Sure, but a small band saw is designed to be run single handed, although a helper will speed things up.

But with 2 guys and some experience with circle mills? Might be a good option as long as you can get one in good running order, and have the skills to keep it that way.

Learning curve on the band saw is not as steep as the older mills, but it would be hard work sawing for a living with a small manual mill. Could work if you have valuable wood, but producing a commodity, you want something fast.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

DMcCoy

I have an old worn out belsaw and a homemade bandsaw.  For me the bandsaw is easier to maintain cutting accurately, makes less mess, uses less fuel, and is all round safer.  Would circle saw marks add value to what you want to sell?
A circle mill will cut faster, so the "cutting" portion is faster, there is still a lot more to it. Like mentioned above it depends on how much help you have.  It has been my experience that the rest of the whole process is what will determine how much you produce in a set amount of time.
If you could set the bandsaw up with automatic feed, I think that would be a game changer vs pushing.

East ky logging

My son and I can cut around 25 ties in around 5-6 hours on a manual lt 15. It's a lot of work but you can move them through pretty quick. Trying to get a lot of side lumber out of them will slow it down a little.

Wallee

Quote from: East ky logging on July 05, 2015, 09:58:13 AM
My son and I can cut around 25 ties in around 5-6 hours on a manual lt 15. It's a lot of work but you can move them through pretty quick. Trying to get a lot of side lumber out of them will slow it down a little.

That's not too bad! About what we are looking to do at first to be honest. We would be going with power feed so that might help us a bit. Least help keep us from
Getting tired as fast.

East ky logging

I would definitely go with the power feed I wish I had it. It's not to bad to crank while sawing but that cranking the head up and down is what wears me out

Wallee

Yeah the power feed looks nice! Woodmizers office was closed Friday and Saturday so I imagine I should get a call from them tomorrow sometime, I hope. That will let me know at least if I can afford that route.

Wallee

How do you upload pics on here? You have to put them in you gallery first?

sandsawmill14

yes you have to put them in gallery and then click the add photos to post bar underneath where you type the text smiley_thumbsup
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Wallee

Figured you guys would appreciate a pic of my 66 c60. One of my ways to help with ties!

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

bandmiller2

Wallee, with ether mill the problem will be handling the heavy ties and turning them. My vote would go to the Belsaw if you make the flip up turners that Belsaw recommends otherwise you will pound the carriage into submission. A good dead deck to load and roller table at the tail end to move the cut ties away from the mill. With the flip up triangular turners flipping the log and cants is quick and easy(er). End of the day you will cut many more ties especially if you have a good sized diesel tractor running the mill. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!