iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvester Cable

Started by Dewey, July 07, 2015, 09:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewey

I have been running This Mill since "94" full time.. It's been a great Mill I've solved just about any issue that could come up with but this one.....
It has a Cable drive system on the back and forth hydraulic motor. When it was new I could saw all summer on the same cable.. Now I can't get a week out of one..I've replaced the pulley a few times because it will wear a groove it  after awhile. I put one of my old ones back on and took a grinder to the groove to "round it out ".. And it's not much better... So I'm thinking I should get another new pulley or possibly a different type of cable.. I've tried several different size cables... So curious what you think.... And if I need a new pulley where can I get one ??

dutchman

I run a TimberHarvester 30 HT.
Have not replaced the pulley but should not be hard to find.
My cable is connected with long eyebolts with a spring around them.
Is yours the same?
I tried stainless cable but the wear was similar.

Fedge

It very well could be the pulley. I doubt that it would be hard to find because most of Timber Harvesters stuff seem to be available off of the shelf. You might want to find a different supplier for the cable. I bought some from my local hardware store for a pretty penny and it lasted for about 50hrs of sawing. I bought some from Home Depot, yes I did say Home Depot, and its just starting to go bad after more than 2 years. If you can't find the pulley, try Clouser Farms on the web. The owner used to sell for Timber Harvester and now makes mills of his own. I have seen on their website that they can help with parts for Timber Harvesters. However, I have never contacted them. Glad to see that there are other Timber Harvester owners out here.

Geoff
A smart man knows a lot, a smarter man knows what he doesn't know.

Dewey

Ya mine is the same..... Eye Bolt on each end... I also have added a swivel connector as well.... I called Clouser once they suggested to run a smaller size cable.....  I will be honest have been racking my brain to remember their name so thanks for the reminder I will be calling him tomorrow to get a new pulley.... I have got to the point that I buy the cable by the roll so I never run out....
Any way My Mill has been outstanding I have bee running it full time for the last 19 years and it is still going strong..... I have made a few modifications....  but I still think they made the Best mill out there... and I wish they would have kept at it !!!
I have almost 20,000 Hrs on it And have long ago lost rack of how much I sawed with it..... I happy as well to know there are still guys that run them !!!! 8)

Hewer of Wood

Hello to everyone. I've been a longtime reader and saw this question that I thought I might be able to help with, so figured now was the time to join. I also have a Timber Harvester and am in the town where the company was located. The pulley is not a stock pulley. It was manufactured by a local machine shop and is hardened. I was having the same problem with cable wear so finally took the pulley off and had the surface remachined to remove the groove that had worn in. That was about 6 weeks ago. Still no visible wear on the cable. I was previously changing the cable every week. I would think any machine shop near you would be able to resurface the pulley. Its well worth doing as the drive cable system is one of the very few aggravating things on this particular mill. Hope this help. Shawn
1997 Timber Harvester 1967 Pettibone Super 8 and too much sawdust. Joshua 9:21

Kbeitz

I'm useing the rubber coated cable...
You dont have to run it very tight a all to make it work.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Hello Hewer of Wood, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  With your attitude, you will fit in here very nicely.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hewer of Wood

Thanks Magicman. This is a terrific place. One other thought on the drive cable. I used to use 3/16" but switched to 1/8" with no ill effect. Its cheaper, seems to last just as long, and is easier to cut. Shawn

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Shawn (Hewer of Wood)!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

warren46

I also run a Timber Harvester mill but it does not use a cable to advance and return the saw head.  My mill uses a drive chain and sprocket to move the head.  I will take some pictures when I am at the mill today.  This has been a problem free feature of the mill for me.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

bandmiller2

My home built mill uses a similar setup,  the bottom of the pulley should be flat. After much use it will wear a groove the wire cable will wear agenst itself and fray. I use but one wrap of cable around the pulley so it doesn't climb over itself. Pulley wear comes from slippage of the cable on the pulley, keep it tight, heavy spring at the end will help. I live with some slippage as it reduces shock on the mill start and stop. Fit of the cable in the bottom of the groove is important you don't want it cramped and rubbing. When a groove develops I remove the pulley and remachine the bottom of the groove. I use 1/8" cable and have a large spool. You can extend the life of cable and pulleys but in the end they are consumables and need replacement at intervals. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

Hewer of Wood,welcome to the forum. First post and being helpful first thing.  smiley_thumbsup
Been sawing long?  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brad_S.

Hey Shawn, nice to see you here!
Shawn used to lease space adjacent to the TH shop and probably saw every mill manufactured roll out the door! Thanks for chiming in!
Cfarm, Shawn is a looong time veteran professional sawyer who often helped me out back when I was full time.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Dewey

Thanks Hewer... I tried taking a grinder to it while it spun with cable off... I have a couple that I have replaced before maybe I will take one to be re machined and see how it works,,, Wish they still made ... They are a great mill

Dewey

Paul the owner of Timber Harvester actually stopped by my mill years ago....Whats he up to now any Idea ?

Hewer of Wood

Its been about a year since I've seen Paul. Last I knew he and his wife had moved a couple towns away and were helping run a Christian Camp on a local lake.
Having the pulley resurfaced made a huge difference. I tried a couple things myself first that didn't really help. Having the new surface ground was the way to go. They really are a great mill. It was a sad day when they closed.

bandmiller2

I mourn the passing of TH, in my mind they were the full equal of any band mill. I would much sooner see a row of hydraulic spool valves than a row of micro switches. A friend of mine was a TH dealer and I met Paul and his crew. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

47sawdust

I have heard only good things about TH sawmills and the owner Paul.He seems to be a man who fully understands hydraulics.
I was told he even built his own wood processor.Sorry they are no longer in business,when I first got interested in sawmills they were the first choice,but that was right when they were closing their doors.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

warren46

I took some pictures of the chain drive for the carriage on my Timber Harvester mill today.  This chain drive has not caused any problem since I bought my mill.  The pictures are not real clear but PM me if you would like more details.

Warren

Warren E. Johnson

beenthere

Warren
Are there three duplicate pics, or is there something different to be seen in each of them?

Edit: thanks for the fix.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ga Mtn Man

Looks like a hydraulic motor in the middle pic.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

warren46

I think I fixed the pictures.
Warren E. Johnson

warren46

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on July 09, 2015, 07:46:42 PM
Looks like a hydraulic motor in the middle pic.

Yes it is a hydraulic motor the drives the sprocket pulling the saw head to advance and return.  The hydraulic motor is mounted on the saw head.
Warren E. Johnson

Dewey

What happens when the Sawhead reaches the end of the mill ????  assuming the forward button is still on ??

warren46

The saw head hit stops and the saw head stops.  Hydraulic motor reaches max torque.
Warren E. Johnson

Thank You Sponsors!