iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NEW 361 STIHL

Started by musky111, March 16, 2004, 04:28:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

musky111

DOES ANY ONE OWN ONE OF THE NEW 361 STIHLS?? ARE THEY THE SAME SAW AS THE 036 PRO?  IS THERE ANY DIFFERENT BESIDES THE STICKER?  ANYWAYS I WAS THINKING OF GETTING ONE, BECAUSE MY DEALER SAYS HE CAN'T GET THE 036 (MS360) ANY MORE.  WHY DO THEY CHANGE THE DAM NUMBERS!!! WISH THERE BROCHURES WOULD TELL A PERSON MORE, ABOUT CHANGES!
PLUS DOES IT HAVE A FULL ADJUSTABLE CARB ON THE 361?

Oregon_Rob

A little looking around at the Stihl site shows that there are some differences, but not much. Looks like they have slightly different displacement 036 61.5cc's and the 361 shows 59.
The 361 also talks about having a preheat on the carb.

I would spned some time talking to a dealer who can tell you exactly what the differences are. What is he asking for a 361?
Chainsaw Nerd

musky111

WELL THEY PRICE THEM WITH A 20INCH BAR FOR 529.00
JUST CAN'T MAKE UP MY MIND IF I LIKE THE "NEW" SERIES.  I LIKE THE PRO MS360.

jokers

Didn`t the 361 get a slight boost in horsepower coupled with a slight weight reduction?

From  what I understand, you should be able to get a 361 for $499 if you shop or are persistant in haggling.

Russ

Oregon_Rob

MS 360 Pro Chain Saw
DISPLACEMENT      61.5 cc (3.75 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER      3.3 kW (4.4 bhp)
WEIGHT
(powerhead only)      5.7 kg (12.5 lbs.)
FUEL CAPACITY      625 cc (21.1 oz.)
CHAIN OIL CAPACITY      320 cc (10.8 oz.)
OILOMATIC CHAIN      .325" RM2
3/8" RM2
GUIDE BARS
AVAILABLE      40 to 53 cm
(16" to 21")
STIHL ROLLOMATIC®
RECOMMENDED
SAW CHAIN      Stihl recommends #3992 (33 RM2-72) saw chain and 20" 3003-000-8921 Ematicâ„¢ guide bar combination.

MS 361 Chain Saw
DISPLACEMENT      59.0 cc (3.6 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER      3.2 kW (4.3 bhp)
WEIGHT      5.6 kg (12.3 lbs.)
FUEL CAPACITY      685 cc (23.1 oz.)
CHAIN OIL CAPACITY      325 cc (10.9 oz.)
OILOMATIC CHAIN      3/8" RM2
GUIDE BARS
AVAILABLE      40 to 50 cm
(16" to 20")
RECOMMENDED
SAW CHAIN      STIHL recommends #3992 (33 RM2-72) saw chain and 20" 3003-000-8921 Ematicâ„¢ guide bar combination.

Looks like slightly less power, if you can believe what you read on the manufactures site :P
Chainsaw Nerd

jokers

Thanks Rob, that`s interesting. I thought that I had read that the 361 was going to be significantly lighter than the 360. Oh well.

Russ

Frickman

The new 361 has the chain brake incorporated into the rear handle. When you release pressure from the throttle interlock on the top of the rear handle the chain brake engages. One of the markets for this saw is for rentals and anywhere you might have multiple, less experienced persons operating the saw.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Bobcat_pa

That feature seems to me to be an over kill.   Maybe it will increase repair service income for Stihl after warranty !.   Does anyone know if this feature is standard on a 361 (hope not) or is an option ?   Bob

oldsaw-addict

I think its standard, I'm not sure though. If it is I'll buy one and try to find a way to bypass the interlock chainbrake actuator, I'm sure it can be done, but I think there are some good sides to having that set the way they make it, like you can carry the saw while its idling and not have to worry about the chain moving and giving you some new scars to stare at. BTW how much are the 361s in USD?Just curious and may buy one for a backup saw someday soon.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Woodhog

I was recently offered a 361 for what works out to 500.00 dollars U.S.

Bobcat_pa

I was traveling today and stopped a a Sthil dealer (and Husky dealer which I will get to in another post) and saw the new 361.  It was taged for $579 ,  with a 16" bar.    They just got their first two 361's this week.     I did notice three things about the saw:  1--weight was very close to a 360,   2--there was an anti-vibe spring on the right hand side of the front handle bar, 3--the decompression value was placed more to the right side, and angled to the right,    and  4--the chain sprocket cover was about an 1" shorter (top to bottom) .   I brought #4 to the dealer's attention asking why, and the response was "easier to get the chips out" .     Regarding the 16" bar, I thought that an 18" would have give a lttle better balance.  Bob

Oregon_Rob

Well, I just stopped in at the local Stihl dealer and picked one up myself. I didn't give it quite the look you did, but they had a 24" bar on it and it was "bar heavy"
Chainsaw Nerd

musky111

Oregon-bob let me know how the saw performs for you.  I was thinking of getting a 20 inch bar, if i get one. don't think my stihl dealer has any 036 pro's left, but says the 361 are on there way, so that might be the one i get to keep the cylinder index up.
thanks musky

Oregon_Rob

:D :D :D
Too funny, I chose my words poorly. I picked it up to see how it feels, didn't take it home. Sorry to mislead.
Felt good, but would have been a lot better with a 18" bar on it. I wish i could afford to just stop by the shop every time i got the urge and "pick up" a new saw.
I do have to say, after shopping for huskies, it sure seems like they want a lot for the stihls

What carb set up does they have?

Chainsaw Nerd

maine_firewood

I just bought one recently I bought the 361 not the 361 QS
the QS has the brake built into the handle and the 361 does not.  I got the 18" bar and think this thing is excellent we will see after I have some serious time on er. paid $480 with the 18" bar which from what I've seen is the best price goin.

Thank You Sponsors!