iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snake and wave in boards cut.

Started by Noobsawyer, December 30, 2013, 05:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noobsawyer

Wondering if any of you seasoned sawyers can give me some input on getting rid of the snake and wave on boards and beams.
We are using a Wood-Mizer LT40 Hyd. I've been told there are 3 things that cause this, being speed,blade tension and sharp saws. Well the drive belt is within specs and we run the blade tension at 2500 - 3000 and run slow enough so this should not happen. We have been playing with use of water and find cutting dry works well but even with a fresh Wood-Mizer blade (we use 9 and 10 degree) we still get snake and wave.We saw mostly dough fir. To be honest we are thinking of selling the mill because we can't make it saw well enough to satisfy ourselves let alone customers. Any input will help.
Thanks, Pat

buzzegray

If the blade is sharp and the tension is adjusted properly assuming cutting speed isn't too fast with plenty of lubrication, then aren't the guides the only other variable  other than the wood itself?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Pat.....lets don't give up the ship yet.  :)

I have the LT40HD. I use the 10°.    4° and 7° for tougher logs.
I saw mostly Southern Yellow Pine, Red and White Oak.

On REALLY dry and HARD Oak, I go with the 4°.
I have never sawn the species of trees in your area.

Are you moving the blade guide on the right side over close to the log to give the blade more stability?

There will be others that will chime in that will be able to help you more than me.

May I make this suggestion. If all else fails.....it won't be long until Woodmizer will start their SERVICE LOOP where they come around to mills (per your request) and go over your mill with a fine tooth comb.

If you've never had this done, call WM and find out if they can come to you during their service trip.

Good Luck to you!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

uler3161

I would think running without lube would cause more of a problem. We run water + dish soap and keep a spray bottle of diesel handy to spray the blade while in the cut.

Have you tried aligning the roller guides? They have a tool for measuring proper alignment. Not sure what they call it, but it's basically a straight edge that you can clip on and measure down to the bed to see if you're rollers are out of alignment.

We cut doug fir quite often and we buy 10 degree blades, so I think you're fine there.
1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

slider

I would do a full alignment next.If your band is not running true you are going to have problems.The manual will take you through it step by step.I hope you have a manual .Also that alignment tool that David spoke of is fairly cheap and very easy to use.Good luck and don't give up.Your mill will do a fine job on that wood you just have to find the culprit that's tripping you up.Also i would start using lube.It keeps the band cool.
al glenn

AdamT

Get the blade alignment tool, if you haven't already. Definitely check to make sure you blade is parallel front to back, on both rollers. Very easy to adjust, however only adjust those bolts a tiny little turn at a time.

The manual shows how this is done.

And check this often, because a slight bump against a log could throw it off.

Don't give up on your mill, I'm sure it's something very simple causing it.

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

POSTON WIDEHEAD

terrifictimbersllc

Is your band remaining completely clean, or is it picking up any kind of residue (on the inside)?  Also, just because a blade is new doesn't mean it's sharp.  Any grit in bark can dull it.  You might want to eliminate this possibility  by doing some test sawing with fresh blades in cants, where the blade is encountering only clean wood.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Sixacresand

In addition to the previous post, if it is pine, I slow down at knots.   A wave affects two boards, which means that I messed up several pairs of boards.   :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

thecfarm

My Thomas mill saws great. Until I put a spruce on it.  :o Talk about snake and wave. Lots of bonfire fodder. Need a 7° blade as I learned from here. Good luck to ya.
Did you just get this mill? Ever cut anything else on it?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nomad

Like several others have said; do a complete alignment on your mill.  It's just amazing how badly an out of adjustment mill can cut!  Doesn't take all that long to do it.  Couple of hours, start to finish.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

scully

What ever the problem is ,one thing that it is not is the LT 40 ! I'm gonna go with blade guide rollers ! As an educated guess . Either way, a full alighnment will most likely cure the issue .
I bleed orange  .

redbeard

Welcome Noobsawyer! We have all gone through the  Mill alignment issues it can be frustrating but it will become real simple the more you check it and do it. Milling Doug fir without lube may not be a good idea there's a lot of heat on the blade.It will shorten the life of blade. Hopefully your not trying to make lumber out of knarly big knot lopsided grain pattern and full of pitch pockets Doug fir logs. Like I use to try and do. ( lesson learned) those logs make better firewood.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

WH_Conley

Also check your cam follower bearings that the saw head rides to make sure one of them is not trying to lock up then let go. Also, the drive belt on the feed motor. Both of these will let the mill stop and start, usually causing a wave. That is all I can think of in addition to what has already been mentioned.
Bill

kgbond

Recently I had a very similar problem. For using the timber king 2000 on Yellowpine. When cutting dry there is a buildup on the blade. That buildup is causing was causing heat on my blade and it caused the blade to become loose, as the as the blade expanded with this excess heat it starts to wander. Make sure that you lube system is operating as the others have mentioned an occasional spray of oil or diesel seems to help. I know this is extremely frustrating because of the amount of product that you're losing but don't get don't give up at this point just keep going
Kimball

MIsawyer

I agree with the lot an alignment is needed and a guide adjustment and check guide rollers  also how are the wheel belts if you are running belted wheels,  if these are bad can cause a vibration that can cause some bad cuts.  Usually this is pretty noticeable but worth a check.  Also I am a big believer in using biolube as a lubricant for your application I recommend biolube 4 which is formulated for softwoods and works real well, for those of you not familiar there website is www.biolube1.com
Hope this helps

pineywoods

Here's something that is real easy to overlook, and can drive you nuts.. Just about any adjustment on an lt40 will affect some other adjustment. Not a problem if the adjustments are done in the prescribed sequence, but a real head scratcher if done in a random manner. Follow the alignment procedure in the manual and it's a piece of cake.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: pineywoods on December 30, 2013, 10:16:09 PM
Here's something that is real easy to overlook, and can drive you nuts.. Just about any adjustment on an lt40 will affect some other adjustment. Not a problem if the adjustments are done in the prescribed sequence, but a real head scratcher if done in a random manner. Follow the alignment procedure in the manual and it's a piece of cake.

Well said Piney! I learned the hard way.  :D :D :D

terrifictimbersllc

Check your power feed belt tension too, if loose the head may not be moving forward at constant speed.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

YellowHammer

In addition to others advice, completely remove the blade tension, and extend and retract the blade guide arm and tug on it, hard.  It should be rock solid. 

Also, call WoodMizer, if its under warranty they will come out and help with the problem on their service loop or even try to schedule it before then.  They did something similar for me and it was of great benefit.

YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

mjl_2007

I would try a 4 degree or 7 degree blade. I cut a lot of oak, hickory, cherry, elm, pine, and cedar. 9 and 10 degree blades won't cut straight consistently on anything except white pine for me. I cut nasty hard hickory all day long on 4 degrees with very consistent cuts every time.

SawyerBrown

Blades may make a difference, but none will cut straight if the alignment is off.  Start with that.  That's my bet.  Be particular, don't say, Oh that's close enough.  Good luck!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

coastlogger

All of the above. In my circle of associates,all have produced wavey boards to start with. In my own case,and many others, my expectations were way too high.I didnt realize the attention to detail ie setups and SHARP SHARP required to cut straight. Also, watching utubes etc gives a very unrealistic view of how fasy you can feed. My advice, slab the log,put on a new blade with at least 25 tou set on each side and start cutting boards,real slow.If theres any sign of buildup on blade,squirt diesel on it till its gone,feeding VERY slow meanwhile. Once you see the boards are coming out straight,and I think they will, start thinking about what it is youre doing different than before. Im guessing you were feeding too fast with a dull and/or pitchy blade.
Hope this helps
clgr

customsawyer

Are you losing tension while you are cutting? I haven't run a LT40 in a long time but I remember that I used to have to adjust the tension sometimes while cutting as the blade would warm up and the tension would drop.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: customsawyer on January 01, 2014, 04:03:15 PM
Are you losing tension while you are cutting? I haven't run a LT40 in a long time but I remember that I used to have to adjust the tension sometimes while cutting as the blade would warm up and the tension would drop.

Your right Jake.....The lt40's still do. Set it at 3000 and a lot of times it will drop after 2 or 3 cuts.
Add more tension and it will usually stays then.

Thank You Sponsors!