iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

A couple more "log hauler" names noted on the road.

"Tree Hugger"
"Fast Forward II"
~Ron

Ron Scott

C-4 Tree Farmer Cable Skidder; 1960 Vintage. Parked next to a Case 600/800 forwarder with Barko loader.

The C-4 originally had a gas engine but was converted to diesel with a 128 Ford 4 cylinder diesel engine which they tell me fits right in to it. Lee hardwoods timber harvest, 1/04.

~Ron

ScottAR

Got any shots of the Case?  I had no idea they made skidders...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Ron Scott

C-4 Tree Farmer Cable Skidder. At the landing with a Valmet forwarder decking wood and loading logs on the log hauler. Lee timber harvest; 1/04.

~Ron

Swede

Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Ron Scott

I'll get some photos of the Case when I visit the job again. The weather hasn't been very good for picture taking larely, mostly "survival".

~Ron

ScottAR

I hear ya on the survival..  Many thanks...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Keltic

That C 4 is very similar to my old honey, mine was made by Can Car in Ontario. Good pics thanks!

Ron Scott

Hardwood Thinning; Selective Harvest. Valmet forwarder and Timberjack cable skidder parked near loggers pick-up; "lunch break"! Lee timber harvest; 12/03.

~Ron

Ron Scott

We got "blown off" this job today. Just too much snow and wind; now over two feet of snow on the hill sides. Loggers moved equipment out to other jobs further south with flatter ground and less snow.

We hope to return in March to finish this one.

~Ron

Ed_K

Well its nice to see, I'm not the only one battling the wind. yesterday I had tops swaying 8' to 10'. today was great, no wind even got out of the hooded sweatshirt. The biggest suprise was the skidder starting at 12*  8).
Ed K

Swede

Just an old swede
< http://www.elmia.se/wood/woodnews/2001/eng/torsdag/bamse.asp >
and another some years younger
< http://user.tninet.se/~irs543h/volvobm/400band.html >

Most farmers in Sweden have small areas with both woodland  and fields. With accessories like "halvband"  and using the same tractor everywhere he could save some money.
It was before the 4WD:s came and now they can hire a Timberjack to do a whole winter job in a week or two. But a Timberjack don´t leave anything, most forest here looks like fields.
I can drive many miles without facing two trees at a time thats time to harvest.  Most areas with 5-40 y.o. coniferous trees that should be thinned out years ago. Government´s and big companys behave more badly than small/private. Money, money, moey.........

Swede.

Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Ron Scott

Case 600/800 Forwarder. Old unit, re-manufactured unit with Barko loader. Parked at the landing. Lee hardwood timber harvest; 1/04.

~Ron

ScottAR

Many thanks!  I didn't know Case made skidders/forwarders.  Anyone have any info on them?
Scott
[Magicman]

Ron Scott

1970 Timberjack Cable Skidder. This well maintained unit skids tree lengths off the hill side for bucking below. Lee timber harvest;1/04.

~Ron

Ron Scott

1970 Timberjack Cable Skidder. Cleaning snow from a spot at the base of the steep slope to buck up the tree lengths harvested off the hill side. Lee timber harvest; 1/04.

~Ron

UNCLEBUCK

just wanting to say thanks for all the great logging pictures. I hauled 4 loads one summer from palco lumber in scotia california up at the humboldt redwoods to a little place in dalton ohio where they made little backyard sheds out of those huge beautiful redwood trees   :'(, I had never seen trees or equipment that big and probably never will but the redwoods out there are something to see, back to lookin at these great loggin photos !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Ron Scott

Bucking the Tree Lengths. Tree lengths cable skidded off the cleared ski slope area are bucked up on the flats below the slope. Lee timber harvest; 1/04.

~Ron

Ron Scott

The Valmet Forwarder takes a load of hard maple out to the landing for decking. Lee timber harvest; 1/04.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Valmet Forwarder. Sorts its product load at the roadside landing for trucking. Lee timber harvest; 1/04.

~Ron

Keltic

Ron Scott

Getting a Load Out. The Valmet forwarder assists the "wood hauler" in loading for its 150+ mile trip to the paper mill on a blizzardy day. Lee timber harvest; 1/04.

~Ron

Ron Scott

4501 Iron Mule. Working in the winters heavy snow. Flint timber hatvest; 1/04.

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!