iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Feedback on a 383 Stroker Engine

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, October 04, 2015, 02:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I found a 1998 Chevy Silverado 4x4, 2500HD I'm interested in.
The 5.7 L engine has been replaced with a 383 Stroker Engine and has less than 5,000 miles on it.

Any of you familiar with this engine?

Thanks.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Just Me

Ya, its no real mystery. Its all Chevy parts. I believe its a 400 crank in a 350 block, but I get confused at times. They are quite common and are quite a bit more powerful on the bottom end than the 350 they started with, although that will come at a slight mileage penalty in most cases. although it is all Chevy parts, its not a motor that Chevy ever built.

Would not let it bother me and if it is something you will be hauling weight with its a good thing. One thing I see a lot of people do is run the same carb setup on a 383 as they did their 350. It needs to be fattened up a bit so as not to run lean. May want to ask how they addressed this.

Larry

red

98 should be fuel injection. . Yes 400 crank in 350 block.  . Sometimes starter engagement problems.  . And a 400 harmonic balancer is much bigger than 350 . . I like destroked 350 by putting a 307 crankshaft in and making 327 for quick revolution.  . Your 383 is a torque motor. Now what camshaft, heads, headers, torque converter, axle gears etc etc
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

sawguy21

It is also bored .060 over which is the limit. As long as the builder knew what he was doing it should be a strong engine.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sandsawmill14

we used to run a 383 in a dirt track race car best engine we ever had.  never run one in a truck so i cant tell you about that but i would not be afraid of it myself :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Kipper

Depends what you want to do with it.

Everyday driver - run away from it...

Tinker toy that you sometimes need to use for work - could be ok if you don't mind working on it.

Race truck - Buy one with a big block motor.

The issues come in when you need to buy a part for the motor that is cubic inch specific and then you have to find them. You may have issues getting the guys at Autozone or Advance to understand you have an engine in your truck that doesn't come up on their screen.

Just an off the cuff question though.. Why Gas and not diesel?
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

sawguy21

If it was built as a race engine then I would agree with you. However if the builder had low rpm torque in mind there should be no problem unless it has a lot of non OEM parts. The crank, rods, and harmonic balancer are the only parts that need to be changed,
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Kipper

I agree, there is always the question of "Did they do it the correct way though?".    .060 is too close to the water jackets for me though.
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

sandsawmill14

.060 will not hurt a 350 block  but it should only be .030 over assuming it is 383 and built from 350.   a 400 small block .060 over with a 3.48 crank gives you a 383 as well but i cant imagine that anywhere other than drag strip.
listen to it run and listen to the cam that should give you an idea if it was a hot rod or work truck :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have learned a lot from all your replies. The truck is perfect shape inside and out.
The car lot who is selling it for an individual is asking $9800.

However, after what you guys have told me about the 383.....I think I will leave it alone.  :D

red

If the motor goes South.  . go all in with a 502ci 8.1L
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

sandsawmill14

might be the best if you are not familiar with engine mods :D

sandsawmill14

if its that nice a truck you could offer 8500  and if you dont like the 383 get a gm crate engine through summit they start at 1500.00 bucks  :)

ScottAR

You really have to watch when someone claims a stroker engine.  Many either don't know what they have or are spinning a yarn.  For example, 

The 400 engine above were never offered factory with a serpentine belt system so the balancer has to be Vbelts which was not used in the '98 model year.  The 400 engine must have a 400 style weighted balancer as it is externally balanced whereas the 5.7 from '98 is internally balanced (no weight on the balancer).

Obviously, there are aftermarket balancers and most likely the crank is too but be wary as to what sort of hodge podge is actually in said engine as from the outside they look identical.   The easiest way to tell a 400 balancer is to feel around on the backside of it.  A 350 balancer will be symetrical all the way round the back whereas the 400 will have a bulge or flat spot on one side where the weight is. 

The higher dollar crank kits can be internally balanced but many don't opt to spend the extra money.

For all these reasons I don't buy modified vehicles unless I know and trust the seller. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Good information Scott. Thanks. This is why I walked away.

customsawyer

You guys realize you are talking over the goats head?   (New saying):D :D :D :D :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

sandsawmill14

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: customsawyer on October 06, 2015, 04:08:35 AM
You guys realize you are talking over the goats head?   (New saying):D :D :D :D :D

;D

Magicman

Ya'll quit ah pickin' on my Butthead Buddy.   :snowball:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ely

they work well in race cars and airboats.

Delawhere Jack

Ok, really late to this conversation, but...... I'd walk away from any vehicle that has been hot rodded, especially buying it third party. Headers, engine mods, lift kits etc usually means it's had the snot beat out of it.

Most guys who would go through the effort to build a motor for better low end torque for work purposes are also the type who will hang on to a vehicle for a LONG time, until it's got some major issues that would cost more to fix than the truck is worth.

Mopar70

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on October 06, 2015, 09:15:40 AM
Ya'll quit ah pickin' on my Butthead Buddy.   :snowball:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Mopar70

rock hill SC, you should be familliar with a BB 383

Mopar70

Thank You Sponsors!