iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw Blades

Started by TFramer34, May 24, 2010, 09:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TFramer34

hey guys,

Had a quick question about saw blades, wanted to see what everyone was running on their beam saws. I bought a 16" Makita (the old model--which is my preference for a few small reasons) on ebay a while back, new in original packaging, and I'm finally getting it delivered from my bothers place in California. Looking to buy a new blade for it and use the original for the odd jobs I might not want to use my good blade for. Any recommendations on brand? or bad experiences? 

Also, has anyone tried the after market wide base for the Makita? Noticed them for sale at the guild store the other day. I always thought that was the biggest weakness of the Makita saw.

cheers

Jim_Rogers

When I got my 16" saw it was a used saw. I got it from the rental department at my local Home Depot store. It had been rented out only 7 times since the store opened.

It came with a carbide tipped blade.

I wanted to have a replacement blade, just in case.

So I bought one off Amazon tool crib, for $99. When it arrived, and I opened the package, it was a high speed steel blade, not a carbide tipped blade. Some how I missed that fact when I placed the order.

I kept it anyhow figuring that I would use it as a spare in case my carbide tipped blade got damaged or to use while my carbide tipped blade was out being sharpened.

I did dull my carbide tipped blade and did send it out to be sharpened.

I'm not sure right now which blade is on, but that's the story about my blades.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

frwinks

I too bought the steel blade and after trying the carbide tipped blade on another saw, I quickly bought the tipped blade and put the steel one as "backup" ::) :D  I got the Mak tipped blade.

witterbound

I've got the aftermarket base.  It's a good improvement, but pricy. 

TFramer34

Quote from: witterbound on May 25, 2010, 02:33:59 PM
I've got the aftermarket base.  It's a good improvement, but pricy. 

You're not kidding. $350 US, thats a hundred less than I bought the saw for. 

frwinks

make a template and a pc of al. plate to your local machine shop.  I was quoted $80 to cnc laser cut the three pcs required to make the base.   

ballen

I'm also shopping for a new blade.  Only 7 1/4" though.  Carbide teeth yes but how many teeth should I go for for my tennon shoulder cuts and other general timber frame joinery use?
Thanks,
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!