iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tsc bar oil

Started by trapper, August 22, 2012, 03:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

I have been using tractor supply bar oil and like it.
The closest is 40 mi away in appelton wi.  Right now it is on sale for $7 gal.  Last year I bought it for $5. Any members that live close to one would you let us know in this chainsaw  area when you think it is at the best price for the year?
Thanks
Marv
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Al_Smith

I used it for years too then for some unknown reason it went up to  the price of Stihl .Then they got the bright idea to sell Husqvarna branded oil at then 11.50 a gallon .Then the price dropped on the house brand .That out fit is hard to follow the way they price things ??????

I get the bar oil for nothing now .My friends BIL works in a packaging plant and any leaker they get the employees can have free .Tranny oil too .7 gallons of Dextron II in my splitter as a matter of fact . ;D

beenthere

Quote from: Al_Smith on August 22, 2012, 05:23:47 PM
........... .My friends BIL works in a packaging plant and any leaker they get the employees can have free .Tranny oil too .7 gallons of Dextron II in my splitter as a matter of fact . ;D
Big mistake for a company to do that.
Too easy to punch a hole and get all the product anyone wants.

Brings to mind stories of trucking dispatching terminals, where the employees were filling their homes completely with "damaged" goods. Just let the insurance co. pay for it when the items are found damaged or missing. 

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lumberjack48

Strain your used motor oil though cheese cloth.

Go to Walmart and buy their cheap STP motor treatment.

Add one to every gal of oil, mix it up good, makes some of the best chain oil you can buy.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Al_Smith

Quote from: beenthere on August 22, 2012, 05:38:23 PM
Quote from: Al_Smith on August 22, 2012, 05:23:47 PM
........... .My friends BIL works in a packaging plant and any leaker they get the employees can have free .Tranny oil too .7 gallons of Dextron II in my splitter as a matter of fact . ;D
Big mistake for a company to do that.
Too easy to punch a hole and get all the product anyone wants.

I don't think it's became a problem or they would have discontinued the program .From what I gather it's a small hole in the wall company that I doubt the help gets paid real well so stuff like that is just a perk .

Depends on the situation I suppose .I mean they aren't  going to let me take home an engine just because it leaks but I don't get payed barely above minimum wage either .

thecfarm

I've been using it for a couple years now. I use to buy it from a food discount place, for years,but the price went way up on it. I think TSC has the best price in my area.I stock up when it's on sale.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tlandrum

i just bought 15 gal of the tsc bar oil
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

TeaW

I have been paying $9.99 for TSC bar oil here, but it's the cheapest I have found.
TeaW

lumberjack48

The best boughten chain oil i used was when i worked for a guy up at International Falls, MN.
He used Rock drill oil, it was the stringiness oil i ever seen.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Caloren

Couple years ago Bailey's had their bar oil on sale for $6 a gallon so I bought 2 cases [8 gallons]. Don't use but 1 or 2 gallons a year, so figure that should last me a few years. The way oil has gone up in price, maybe I should have bought more! ::)
Loren
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

trapper

I  like baileys bar oil as good as any I have ever tried but shipping cost keeps me from buying more.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

petefrom bearswamp

How does vegetable oil work?
I have read some reviews on this and says it is OK
I only use about 3 gal a year so I guess cost isn't a factor
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

woodtick#2

Quote from: petefrombearswamp on August 23, 2012, 05:35:43 PM
I would love to use only 3 gallons a year, when chopping id run almost a gallon a day :(
-Nathan

Caloren

I think the shipping added about $1 to the cost of each gallon, but I only live about 60 miles from them. Shipping is still cheaper than driving though, gas is now over $4 a gallon here!
Loren
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

Al_Smith

FWIW my bud the trimmer made a deal with one of the Stihl dealers and buys oil a pallet full at a time .Of course being in the tree biz he uses a  lot of it .I might use 5 gallon a year depending .

Al_Smith

All bar oil is just oil with a tacking agent added to it .I've never done it but have heard of people using clean used hydraulic oil and basically STP .Machine way oil is basically the same as bar oil .

I draw the line with old crankcase oil filtered or not .That I save for a friend with a waste oil burner .

cuterz

I buy it when its on sale good oil :D

Al_Smith

I suppose you might be able to buy it by the drum full and save some money .However to do it like that and justify it you'd have to use a lot of oil .That limits the amount of people who are on forums to probabley less than 5 percent of the  participants .

I'd about bet  that if a pole were taken most users buy it a gallon at a time .

Now I suppose if a person were in a remote area where the hoot owls romance the chickens you'd consider buying large quantities .

thecfarm

I think one sale of it just got done. They only had 3 gallons left,but over Labor weekend is another sale on it,so I did not ask for a rain check.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ladylake

I just bought 5 gallons TSC oil $5 a gallon in Moorhead MN.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

trapper

Thanks for the heads up Steve.  Just checked on line for the tsc I go to  and then called to verify the price there.  It is $5 gal until sept 30.

thecfarm

They must thin it out with water in MN.   :D  I have to pay $7 for it here.

trapper

2 closest tsc to me one at$7 one at$5 from what I see online.

joe_indi

Quote from: petefrombearswamp on August 23, 2012, 05:35:43 PM
Veg oil by itself may not work that good. We use plenty of it here, but as a cocktail.
5 parts veg oil
1 part Transmission oil (SAE140)
1/2 part Kerosene.

The transmission oil, other than improving the lube quality, provides extra viscosity and anti-fling properties. The kerosene provides the cleaning action to reduce resin buildup on the chain.
Cheap veg oils here are:
Coconut
Oil Palm
Recycled cooking oil from commercial kitchens (sometimes the saw smells like a KFC outlet)

Joe

Al_Smith

Evidently the TSC oil seems to be 7 bucks a gallon on sale now .We just got a flier in the newspaper with the labor day sale prices and that's what the price is locally .

On the subject of veggie oil some swear by it and some swear at it .The thought of using salad oil as a lubricant just doesn't seem right to some people .Although I seriously doubt the use of motor oil as salad dressing would be appealing to most either .

They have some so called eco friendly stuff that in essence is jellied water .More or less just KY jelly .Mixed reviews with that stuff too .

I have now idea what it's made of ,probabley water and corn starch like Jello .Lime ,raspberry and tutti fruitti maybe .

Thank You Sponsors!