Previous topic - Next topic

archeryplus

Could use some guidence on this one .
Elm??

1000017335.jpg1000017336.jpg1000017337.jpg

Thanks for your help.

RR

beenthere

Need a much better pic to identify, as well as a sharp knife prepping the end grain. Can you help with that? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

archeryplus

I have the pics in the gallery but havent figured out the way to post them better yet.
Will work on that tonight and thanks for the response.

archeryplus

beenthere

Make a clean cut across the end grain with a sharp knife or a sharp chisel. The look for the wavy lines between the annual rings. 

Compare to the images in this link

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

archeryplus

Thank you I will dothat first thing in the morning

doc henderson

no ones' pics will be as good as in that pic.  you can get a foreign made microscope that uses your phone and get pretty good pic or sharply shaved end grain.  not sure how much they are now (was cheap), but if you will have several of these questions over time, it might be a good investment.  It almost looks like maple with some heart wood.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

beenthere

Also a clean cut with a good saw blade and scanned on printer/scanner makes for a good pic. Here of a crosscut on piece of oak. 

7/8" x 3-3/4"

Swampdonkey showed me this trick a few years back. This would show quickly if ash or maple. Phone image should work as well. 
The scope Doc mentioned would be a better way, as well as a 10x hand lens.
south central Wisconsin

SwampDonkey

This is some elm pictures.

board surface

end grain

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

archeryplus

Thanks for all the advice, I will cut and take a good look today,  maple is a possibilty, I never thought of that.

Don P

A scanner is my hand lens. I have more uses for a scanner day to day although a scope would be nice. This is the scanner zoomed in on some red oak end grain. 

doc henderson

Don, how do you then get a digital pic to put on here?  do you just scan it to the computer??  that looks good
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

Absolutely, a magnifier phone app is the handiest tool, plus you can add it to your photo album.

EDIT photos of my pants leg added:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don P

Doc, it is just a thin slice on my flatbed office scanner, saved as a jpg and reduced/cropped, whatever it takes to get the detail/ size to work out for whatever I'm looking at. 

I don't know how you all keep those phones intact. The pup ate my 10 year old little pocket camera... which I thought was pretty "hardened". My wife gave me her old smart phone for the camera. I proceeded to turn that into a brick within a month  ffcheesy.

doc henderson

nice ideas and it may lend itself to increase quality and ability to ID wood.  might make a good thread/tutorial on its own.

SwampDonkey

A scanner effectively zooms when taking high res images. Just crop out enough to see and not end up with a 20 meg photo.  :thumbsup:

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

archeryplus

Didnt get the best magnified poic yet but does this help anyone for ID

1000017353.jpg

Don P

You're looking at a ring porous wood. It has very distinct medullary rays. Look at beenthere's pic again.

doc henderson

I think it looks a little like magic Mans jeans?   :uhoh:   ffsmiley

SwampDonkey

Looks like an oak wouldn't you say?  :thumbsup: There's many species of oak, but they are separated into red or white oak. This looks like a red oak species.

archeryplus

Thanks for all the advice.  I did think it looked like beentheres pic when I compared them.

I also have the magnifier app Magicman suggested.

I have worked up a dozen good sized red oak and just never came across a look like this.

beenthere

red oak vs white oak, you can blow through the pores of most red oak. Not white oak.
south central Wisconsin

Magicman

Judging by the bark picture and your most excellent magnifier picture, I would lean heavily toward one of the Red Oaks.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Quote from: Don P on Yesterday at 09:05:23 AMI don't know how you all keep those phones intact. The pup ate my 10 year old little pocket camera... which I thought was pretty "hardened". My wife gave me her old smart phone for the camera. I proceeded to turn that into a brick within a month 
Don - I have a Kyocera Duraforce Pro II phone, have had two or three of them in a row now.  Without a case it's mil spec waterproof, shock proof, and big enough that my fat thumbs don't have a hard time hitting three buttons at the same time.  CAT makes a similar phone.  Some say they aren't the fastest but for what I do it has never been an issue at all and the thing is tough as nails.  The first two basically wore out over the years, the first test I had with the first one I was climbing out of a skidder and the phone fell into a mud puddle.  Instead of saying some mighty bad words I just picked up the phone and walked over to a non muddy puddle to rinse it off.  Now THAT was a good feeling. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!