iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eclassic leaking, temporary repair question

Started by stumper, March 06, 2018, 05:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumper

My E-Classic 2300 has sprung a leak (7 1/2 years old).  It is a pin hole leak.  I am thinking of applying some thermo-steel as a temporary repair.  Does anyone have any experience with this? thoughts?

I did find out that if the boiler can be welded on site Central boiler will cover up to $150.00.  If it can not be welded on site then I have to ship it back to the factory.  Then they will evaluate it and let me know if the warranty will cover the repair, then I get to pay to ship it back.  I have a some thoughts on this "25 year warranty" but I can not share those in mixed company.

jason.weir

Other than them replacing cracked doors I haven't heard much good about CB's warranty.

I assume you want a temp repair to get you though the next 5-6 weeks

I don't know anything about thermo-steel but I would imagine that you would need to drain the water down below the hole, and then grind\wire wheel the area around the hole to get the epoxy to adhere.  At that point why not just have it welded.

if its just a pin hole and doesn't open up when it's welded, it should be a quick easy weld.

That being said a buddy's classic had a small pin hole leak where the smoke makes the turn to go out the chimney, all the way in the back.  Flames had eroded the wall and made things really thin, it took a couple hours to pad weld with a small MIG machine.  Didn't help that it was -10 outside with the wind blowing.  

Anyways that was last winter and he's been good all this year so far.

Where is your leak?  I'd be concerned that while the epoxy can stand 2400 degrees, can it stand flame?

-J

edit:  see some Amazon reviews that say water is a no-no Robot Check

stumper

leak is on the left side wall 1 foot from the door 4 to 6 inches from the top.

jason.weir

that's an easy place to weld - no need to climb inside and lay on your back - my opinion would be to have get it welded..

E Yoder

Before the welder comes out I'd scrape and hammer the firebox walls looking for thin spots. A downdrafting unit tends to stay damp up high in the firebox and mild steel can flake off and get thin.
My thought is you might have more than one spot getting thin and you'd want to find it and get it all welded at one time.
Hope you can get up and running again.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

Logging logginglogging

When mine spring a pinhole leak, I used a sheet metal screw to plug the hole to get me through for the rest of the winter. (lasted months, infact it never failed) just make sure not to hit the screw when loding wood.

747mopar

Quote from: Logging logginglogging on March 07, 2018, 03:25:02 PM
When mine spring a pinhole leak, I used a sheet metal screw to plug the hole to get me through for the rest of the winter. (lasted months, infact it never failed) just make sure not to hit the screw when loding wood.
You took the words right out of my mouth!

Thank You Sponsors!