iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I Put Gas in My Diesel Tank

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, April 15, 2018, 02:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I knew a farmer who decided to flush and refill his cooling system on a JD-4020 tractor. Both fuel cap and radiator caps are on top close together. New antifreeze and water went into guess which tank?

This farmer, who shall remain nameless to avoid any embarrassing snippets from dumb goats, was late finishing up planting the next day. :-[
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Red Clay Hound

Quote from: Southside logger on April 15, 2018, 06:38:19 PM
So you have a gas tank sucker out thingy.... Hummm..   :D
Now that I know Poston has that thing, I'll put a locking gas cap on my truck before I come to the next sawmill project! :D
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Larry on April 15, 2018, 08:53:16 PM
I knew a farmer who decided to flush and refill his cooling system on a JD-4020 tractor. Both fuel cap and radiator caps are on top close together. New antifreeze and water went into guess which tank?

This farmer, who shall remain nameless to avoid any embarrassing snippets from dumb goats, was late finishing up planting the next day. :-[
I'm would never ask you who he was Larry.....butt I'm laughing my buttttttt off.  :D :D :D :D :D
Say that tractor would SKIP a row every now and again. Skip....Skip...Skip.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Red Clay Hound on April 15, 2018, 09:01:31 PM
Quote from: Southside logger on April 15, 2018, 06:38:19 PM
So you have a gas tank sucker out thingy.... Hummm..   :D
Now that I know Poston has that thing, I'll put a locking gas cap on my truck before I come to the next sawmill project! :D
Hey Y'all....where's Red Clay Hound? I think I saw his truck on the side of the road between here and Dublin.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Where's Poston? I saw him going down the interstate waving and hollering "See ya next year!"  :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

On my chainsaw I have put gas where the chain oil goes and oil where the gas goes.
Had to dump it all out but still not has heart breaking as gas in a diesel tank.

WV Sawmiller

Opposite for me. I was working a project in Kristiansand, Norway and my secretary took my van (Avis) to take somebody to the airport or such and when she came in she filled it up with diesel. It was a gas engine. The fuel station was right across from our HQ. That evening when I started to leave with my car pool team the van was very hard to crank then shut down. I suspected right away what happened and went up to my office and checked the fuel receipt in my petty cash drawer and verified what happened. We had enough other drivers to get the team home, I called Avis and they took the van to the shop and drained the tank and replaced the filter and brought it back the next day. Could have been a lot worse.

I have done same thing with chainsaw but caught it before starting so easy to drain and replace.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

r.man

A fuel station within news range of me recently had a delivery mix up that ended with diesel in one of their gas tanks. Lots of cars got varying percentages of diesel in their gasoline vehicles. I expect that cost someone a pile of money.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

starmac

A guy I know brought his cheap pressure washer to a truck shop I just happened to be at for them to get running. I ask him if he was actually going to pay 1140 an hour to repair a 250 dollar pressure washer. I came back an hour or so later for something and they were putting it back together, I jokingly told him if he would just pay attention and put gas instead of diesel in it, it wouldn't cost him a hundred and fifty bucks a pop. I was just kidding, but he then said, this is the third &*((^$#$ time, between it and my chainsaw. I told him I would not be loaning him a chainsaw anytime soon.

For some reason I had a can in the back of my service truck, I guess to put in the heater on my pressure washer, but don't generally leave it in the truck, but like a dummy when the air compressor run out, I filled it with diesel, not a huge deal, but a pain when you have things to do.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

coxy

i know a guy that has a d2 cat dozer and he will run a full tank of gas in it every few months it will through a nice blue flame about 3ft out of the smoke stack it neat to look at been doing this for years with no trouble 

YellowHammer

I'm not a diesel mechanic, but they told me if I had kept driving, that my delicate truck diesel injectors didn't like gas, and would have to be replaced, at a dealer cost of $800 per x 8. Also, the high pressure fuel pump would fail, as well as other things.  So we were talking about big bucks.  They said it's somewhat common, as well as pumping DEF into the fuel tank.  Just for kicks, I called up my insurance company, they said they had seen it before, also, and the cost to fix sometimes exceeded the value of the vehicle, but at those levels, it was covered under insurance because it was the definition of "accident."
Just my experience.

I would think some heavy or older equipment might be much more tolerant as Coxy and others say.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

btulloh

Good recovery POSTON. I like that hand vacuum pump.  I hope you can find out the source and post it.  That'd come in handy around here.

I made this for sucking out oil a few years ago.  It's real useful and easy to make.  It uses a venturi to create the vacuum, so you need to be around your air compressor when you use it.  In addition to extracting oil, it's good for vacuuming out the debris from the bottom of tractor gas tanks and such, or getting water out of the bottom of a tank.  Lots of ways to make it.  I think I was about $2 out of pocket for this since I made my own venturi.

Easy to empty - just put your finger over the venturi exit and the stuff pumps back out of the pickup hose.
HM126

BigZ La

Quote from: YellowHammer on April 16, 2018, 07:52:08 AM
I'm not a diesel mechanic, but they told me if I had kept driving, that my delicate truck diesel injectors didn't like gas, and would have to be replaced, at a dealer cost of $800 per x 8. Also, the high pressure fuel pump would fail, as well as other things.  So we were talking about big bucks.  They said it's somewhat common, as well as pumping DEF into the fuel tank.  Just for kicks, I called up my insurance company, they said they had seen it before, also, and the cost to fix sometimes exceeded the value of the vehicle, but at those levels, it was covered under insurance because it was the definition of "accident."
Just my experience.

I would think some heavy or older equipment might be much more tolerant as Coxy and others say.
With the newer diesel's with electronic injectors I would be concerned with having to much gas to diesel mix. They run at higher fuel pressure and higher temps. The older diesels I think tolerate the gas diesel mix better. I run a duramax and add two stroke oil for lube all the time, if I had made the mistake and added gas to the fuel tank It would depend on just how much I had added as to whether I would run it or not. I know I would be adding quite a bit of two stroke oil if I did decide to run it through.

TKehl

Have always been diligent with gas versus diesel in the right tanks due to the horror stories.  May help that my first car was a diesel VW van.  However, I have mixed up the gas and oil on chainsaws several time.  ::)

Quote from: YellowHammer on April 16, 2018, 07:52:08 AMI would think some heavy or older equipment might be much more tolerant as Coxy and others say.

Yeah, some of the old diesels were actually made to be started on gas then switched to diesel.  But that's been a minute or two...   ;)

In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

caveman

Poston, I am glad you made it back home to SC without messing up your truck.  Its going to take you quite some time and a lot of walking to burn all of that fuel you mixed up for your drip torch ;D.
Caveman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: caveman on April 16, 2018, 04:40:03 PM
  Its going to take you quite some time and a lot of walking to burn all of that fuel you mixed up for your drip torch ;D.
Didn't think about that.  :D :D :D

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Didn't want any confusion.  :D

Resonator

Gasoline is a solvent. Diesel is an oil. If you use the wrong fuel in your engine you could ruin your Throttle Position Sensor. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

thecfarm

Oh yea,M.Y. Truck. Mister Yen,the one legged guy drinking Purple Drink.

http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=99720.msg1571649#new
reply 231.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

He put gas in his diesel because he was fantasizing about reverse roll quarter sawing a big sycamore log :D :D :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on April 16, 2018, 09:42:30 PM
He put gas in his diesel because he was fantasizing about reverse roll quarter sawing a big sycamore log :D :D :D.
Thats enough to mess anybodies mind up. 8)

maple flats

I my old 7.3 I added stale gas a few times to the diesel tank, but only about 1 qt to a full tank of diesel, just to get rid of the stale gas. In that engine I never saw an issue. I also never did it in two fuelings in a row, I ran a tank or two then added another qt until I had used up the stale gas.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

In keeping with my word I tried to find a name on my pump.
There is none what so ever.
The only thing on the sticker is the do's and don't's for use.
I'll try to find out from the lawn mower shop who ordered it for me.

Josef

looks a lot like this I found online:

"Mityvac 7400 - Fluid evacuator 1.9 gallon"

Joe
In my house I'm the boss, I know this because my wife said so, I only hope she doesn't change her mind!

New to me Timber Harvester that I'm learning to operate, been building a home built mill for a while, should be ready to make sawdust with it someday if I ever quit "modifying" the design.

starmac

I always heard them called an Arky or Okie credit card, not sure which is the proper or original name.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Thank You Sponsors!