Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: I Put Gas in My Diesel Tank  (Read 3812 times)

Offline BigZ La

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: I Put Gas in My Diesel Tank
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2018, 08:31:09 PM »
I had a couple of friends who's wives filled their diesel truck with gas. They both made it a little ways down the road and they locked up but neither one suffered major damages. One a ford and the other a dodge. A few of the guys I know have filled tanks with gas unintentionally and added ATF to it to run it out with no long term side effects. One had a dodge with the big tank which I think was a 30 gallon and he filled it up completely, said he added two quarts of atf and hit the road albeit a little slower than normal with no issues and he was pulling a loaded trailer. I can understand not wanting to gamble and you made it, these guys didn't have dual tanks and were not close to any dealers.

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2018, 08:32:33 PM »
I have added a gallon or two of gas many times to my old 6.9 and 7.3 diesels in cold weather. I have added 5 gallons or so to my big trucks a few times too, but those tanks hold 100 to 150 gallons too.
On purpose as a gelling prevention?    Did you run them that way?
Yes sir.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Always taking steps to save steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2018, 08:40:15 PM »
I once put gas in my diesel by mistake, maybe 75% gas, 25% diesel.  I drove a couple hundred yards to a truck mechanic shop he said if I didn't drive it anymore, he could drain the tank and fuel lines for $400.  He said if I kept driving it, the damage would be more than $1000.  I thought he was crazy, so I drove it a quarter mile or so and got an error code.  I pulled into a parking lot, called the dealership and they said if I kept driving it, the engine was toast.  So they sent a tow and the next day I paid them $1000, pretty much exactly what the first mechanic said would happen. ::)

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
  • Getting old but doing it with Friends.
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2018, 08:42:38 PM »
I once put gas in my diesel by mistake.  I drove a couple hundred yards to a truck mechanic shop he said if I didn't drive it anymore, he could drain the tank and fuel lines for $400.  He said if I kept driving it, the damage would be more than $1000.  I thought he was crazy, so I drove it a quarter mile or so and got an error code.  I pulled into a parking lot, called the dealership and they said if I kept driving it, the engine was toast.  So they sent a tow and the next day I paid them $1000, pretty much exactly what the first mechanic said would happen. ::)
:D :D :D :D :D :D Good story Hammer!
Where's the Spoon?

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2018, 08:46:19 PM »
Hey, I pulled the same stunt with my kubota tractor. Towing a trailer hauling the tractor. Pulled into service bay, topped off the truck (gas burner), then stuck the hose in the tractor tank and topped it off. Tractor started ok when I got to the job, then quit when it warmed up. Had to pull the tractor back on the trailer with a hand winch.. >:(
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2018, 08:53:16 PM »
I knew a farmer who decided to flush and refill his cooling system on a JD-4020 tractor. Both fuel cap and radiator caps are on top close together. New antifreeze and water went into guess which tank?

This farmer, who shall remain nameless to avoid any embarrassing snippets from dumb goats, was late finishing up planting the next day. :-[
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Offline Red Clay Hound

• Retired - Now Turning Logs into Lumber
    • Share Post
    • Broad River Mobile Sawmilling, LLC
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2018, 09:01:31 PM »
So you have a gas tank sucker out thingy.... Hummm..   :D
Now that I know Poston has that thing, Iíll put a locking gas cap on my truck before I come to the next sawmill project! :D
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2018, 09:35:24 PM »
I knew a farmer who decided to flush and refill his cooling system on a JD-4020 tractor. Both fuel cap and radiator caps are on top close together. New antifreeze and water went into guess which tank?

This farmer, who shall remain nameless to avoid any embarrassing snippets from dumb goats, was late finishing up planting the next day. :-[
I'm would never ask you who he was Larry.....butt I'm laughing my buttttttt off.  :D :D :D :D :D
Say that tractor would SKIP a row every now and again. Skip....Skip...Skip.  :D
Where's the Spoon?

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2018, 09:39:19 PM »
So you have a gas tank sucker out thingy.... Hummm..   :D
Now that I know Poston has that thing, Iíll put a locking gas cap on my truck before I come to the next sawmill project! :D
Hey Y'all....where's Red Clay Hound? I think I saw his truck on the side of the road between here and Dublin.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Where's Poston? I saw him going down the interstate waving and hollering "See ya next year!"  :D
Where's the Spoon?

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2018, 09:52:06 PM »
On my chainsaw I have put gas where the chain oil goes and oil where the gas goes.
Had to dump it all out but still not has heart breaking as gas in a diesel tank.
Where's the Spoon?

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2018, 09:59:23 PM »
   Opposite for me. I was working a project in Kristiansand, Norway and my secretary took my van (Avis) to take somebody to the airport or such and when she came in she filled it up with diesel. It was a gas engine. The fuel station was right across from our HQ. That evening when I started to leave with my car pool team the van was very hard to crank then shut down. I suspected right away what happened and went up to my office and checked the fuel receipt in my petty cash drawer and verified what happened. We had enough other drivers to get the team home, I called Avis and they took the van to the shop and drained the tank and replaced the filter and brought it back the next day. Could have been a lot worse.

I have done same thing with chainsaw but caught it before starting so easy to drain and replace.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline r.man

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2018, 10:34:33 PM »
A fuel station within news range of me recently had a delivery mix up that ended with diesel in one of their gas tanks. Lots of cars got varying percentages of diesel in their gasoline vehicles. I expect that cost someone a pile of money.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2018, 03:27:23 AM »
A guy I know brought his cheap pressure washer to a truck shop I just happened to be at for them to get running. I ask him if he was actually going to pay 1140 an hour to repair a 250 dollar pressure washer. I came back an hour or so later for something and they were putting it back together, I jokingly told him if he would just pay attention and put gas instead of diesel in it, it wouldn't cost him a hundred and fifty bucks a pop. I was just kidding, but he then said, this is the third &*((^$#$ time, between it and my chainsaw. I told him I would not be loaning him a chainsaw anytime soon.

For some reason I had a can in the back of my service truck, I guess to put in the heater on my pressure washer, but don't generally leave it in the truck, but like a dummy when the air compressor run out, I filled it with diesel, not a huge deal, but a pain when you have things to do.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2018, 07:14:29 AM »
i know a guy that has a d2 cat dozer and he will run a full tank of gas in it every few months it will through a nice blue flame about 3ft out of the smoke stack it neat to look at been doing this for years with no trouble 

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Always taking steps to save steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2018, 07:52:08 AM »
I'm not a diesel mechanic, but they told me if I had kept driving, that my delicate truck diesel injectors didn't like gas, and would have to be replaced, at a dealer cost of $800 per x 8. Also, the high pressure fuel pump would fail, as well as other things.  So we were talking about big bucks.  They said it's somewhat common, as well as pumping DEF into the fuel tank.  Just for kicks, I called up my insurance company, they said they had seen it before, also, and the cost to fix sometimes exceeded the value of the vehicle, but at those levels, it was covered under insurance because it was the definition of "accident."
Just my experience.

I would think some heavy or older equipment might be much more tolerant as Coxy and others say.
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2018, 10:44:00 AM »
Good recovery POSTON. I like that hand vacuum pump.  I hope you can find out the source and post it.  That'd come in handy around here.

I made this for sucking out oil a few years ago.  It's real useful and easy to make.  It uses a venturi to create the vacuum, so you need to be around your air compressor when you use it.  In addition to extracting oil, it's good for vacuuming out the debris from the bottom of tractor gas tanks and such, or getting water out of the bottom of a tank.  Lots of ways to make it.  I think I was about $2 out of pocket for this since I made my own venturi.

Easy to empty - just put your finger over the venturi exit and the stuff pumps back out of the pickup hose.
HM126

Offline BigZ La

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2018, 10:57:53 AM »
I'm not a diesel mechanic, but they told me if I had kept driving, that my delicate truck diesel injectors didn't like gas, and would have to be replaced, at a dealer cost of $800 per x 8. Also, the high pressure fuel pump would fail, as well as other things.  So we were talking about big bucks.  They said it's somewhat common, as well as pumping DEF into the fuel tank.  Just for kicks, I called up my insurance company, they said they had seen it before, also, and the cost to fix sometimes exceeded the value of the vehicle, but at those levels, it was covered under insurance because it was the definition of "accident."
Just my experience.

I would think some heavy or older equipment might be much more tolerant as Coxy and others say.
With the newer diesel's with electronic injectors I would be concerned with having to much gas to diesel mix. They run at higher fuel pressure and higher temps. The older diesels I think tolerate the gas diesel mix better. I run a duramax and add two stroke oil for lube all the time, if I had made the mistake and added gas to the fuel tank It would depend on just how much I had added as to whether I would run it or not. I know I would be adding quite a bit of two stroke oil if I did decide to run it through.

Offline TKehl

• Senior Member x2
  • Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2018, 12:03:54 PM »
Have always been diligent with gas versus diesel in the right tanks due to the horror stories.  May help that my first car was a diesel VW van.  However, I have mixed up the gas and oil on chainsaws several time.  ::)

Yeah, some of the old diesels were actually made to be started on gas then switched to diesel.  But that's been a minute or two...   ;)

Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2018, 04:40:03 PM »
Poston, I am glad you made it back home to SC without messing up your truck.  Its going to take you quite some time and a lot of walking to burn all of that fuel you mixed up for your drip torch ;D.
Caveman

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2018, 04:49:01 PM »
  Its going to take you quite some time and a lot of walking to burn all of that fuel you mixed up for your drip torch ;D.
Didn't think about that.  :D :D :D
Where's the Spoon?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Diesel in lube tank

Started by clintnelms on Sawmills and Milling

44 Replies
Last post December 25, 2016, 02:42:41 PM
by hacknchop
xx
Diesel Tank for Property

Started by wfcjr on Forestry and Logging

39 Replies
Last post January 06, 2015, 06:16:40 AM
by luvmexfood