iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belsaw m14 what's it worth ?

Started by backwoodsdave, September 18, 2018, 12:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backwoodsdave

I know most things are worth what someone is willing to pay but I'm calling on experience with recent purchases to give me an idea of what an m14 is worth, I see one that says best offer, it's a newer model, all metal , 44' inserted tooth blade, supposedly low hrs, shows no wear, that remains to be seen of course, just the basic unit, no extras or add ons at all, if it is as described, I'm asking opinions on a realistic value if possible, any and all input is always appreciated.

BUGGUTZ

A photo would be a great help. I paid $500 for my m24 but its not a good comparison. It had a bad power unit, a custom steel frame and needed a lot of love.
Everyone has to be somewhere.

jdeere540a

I guess it depends how bad someone wants it. I traded about 800 dollars worth of work for mine about six years ago and now I think that was to much it needed a total rebuild. They are good mills when set up right I use mine a lot but you can get a heavy duty mill like a lane or chase for not much more most of the time

backwoodsdave

I'm a pretty patient guy when it comes to spending money, I like the looks of the Belsaw since it seems it wouldn't be too bad for one man to run it, it would be mostly a hobby saw also, I've seen a couple available, bare bones m14s, steel frames, good shape supposedly, both in the 3k plus range which I think is way high for what they are, but that's just my opinion, and both were 4 to 8 hrs drive away also, nothing local yet.

jimparamedic

i got one for taking 4 trucks to the car crusher then i got one for taking it off the trailer and the last one cost me $250 still had the stickers on the carriage

Ljohnsaw

Jim, Sounds like you need to sell one to Dave :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

jimparamedic

My wife would agree. i like to trade

backwoodsdave

I know like everything else the market varies by area, I've seen a couple m14s for sale within a days drive and made a couple of decent offers and got no response at all, there seem to be so many band mills for sale around you couldn't swing a dead cat around without hitting one, but circle saws are like hens teeth down this way it seems.

moodnacreek

If the bellsaw has been sitting, especially outdoors, the ball bearings will be pitted and will run warm and warm the saw. So to put on new bearings the mandrel has to be cleaned up and the old bearings slid off. Often the steel where the bearings are seated has eroded just enough that the new ones will spin on the shaft. [ time for 609 Loctite] [maybe].  And if the mill has been used a lot the set wheel will be loose on the set shaft and need to be sliced and welded to shrink it tight, another maybe.  The bellsaw in this typical condition is only worth a few hundred dollars.

Thank You Sponsors!