iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Truckload of cull logs

Started by labradorguy, September 28, 2018, 09:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

labradorguy

I am needing to supplement my log supply and was thinking about buying a truckload (big truck pulling a pup) of culls from one of the local mills and giving that a try. They have quite a few small diameter culls that have been down awhile and they would not mind getting them out of their way. I am thinking if I processed them, I would be able to sell them in a month or two since they are small diameter and already greyed out.

My question is, does anyone have a good estimate of how many cords a person could expect out of a load like this? Just a rough idea... And secondly, what are people paying for a truckload of culled hardwoods?? I know prices change in different areas, but I just wanted an idea. If someone has some Ozark prices, that would be great.

Thanks guys.

armechanic

transportation will likely be the big cost.  If you can move them yourself would help. I don't know what the cost would be, but, Tie logs are about $250 mbf at the mill. (what the mill pays) If you can find a landowner that has some cull logs and tops
 it might be cheaper.

1989 Lt 40, D6C CAT, Home made wood processer in progress.

Mapleman

I figure a tri axle log truck load of long length (20 feet) or so) firewood at 7 cords and the pup at 5 cords, so 12 cords total. Several times I've run a truck and pup load of firewood through the processor, keeping it separate from wood already on the landing, and its come out pretty close to those figures.  Of course this can vary a lot, depending on the wood itself, who's doing the loading, the truck, etc.  
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

Corley5

A 20 cord load of hardwood pulp is $1,600.00 delivered to me in Northern Lower Michigan.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

realzed

I recently had a double load - tri axle truck with two piles of 10 foot all maple logs 6" - 14" in diameter and a pup with a double load of 10 footers as well all piled up right to the top of the metal bed stringers or better ;D.
At this point I haven't got it much of it bucked up and stacked - but it supposed to be 40 - 44 face cords when done..
Smaller diameter logs should make for a tighter load and more cords per load due to less air spaces between logs, thus a better return for your dollar!
Prices up here are a lot higher than most in the USA and I had to get mine trucked from close to 150 miles away. Cost varies from the quotes I had from $2200 - $2600 per double load like mine..
The logs I got had been cut the previous Summer and piled and somewhat dried in log lengths over last Winter and this past Spring and early Summer as a bonus - so the bark was loose and off or falling off and the wood already semi dried from what I can see from what I have cut and tried to burn - so a BONUS.. :) 

barbender

I think you'll get a better yield from larger diameter logs than small. I have nothing to back this up scientifically 😁
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

labradorguy

Thank You Sponsors!