iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS462 CM in Canada!

Started by HolmenTree, November 04, 2018, 08:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

It's official first shipment came in last Thursday Nov. 1.
MS462 CM and CMR (wrap).
Arctic models will be in next month.

Photos here thanks to friend Gary who just picked his up at his dealer in Winnipeg, Manitoba on Friday.

New air filter which is washable looks impressive.
No non CM models coming. Those have to be ordered out of Europe but you'll have no dealer support or warranty.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

outinthewood

Be interesting to see how the airfilter set up lasts, a pal in the USA who has been running one for some time has noted that after only around a few weeks the way you "lock" the filter on is already not as positive ? A bit of a concern if cutting hardwoods with the finer dust ? Anyway not the end of the world as it looks like a fine saw and trust you will keep us updated how the new owner gets on with it ? 

HolmenTree

outinthewood, I think you're referring to the older black coloured HD2 filter the fella in the U.S. is using.
The filter pictured above is brand new. The pleats are white not black, according to Gary his dealer can't even find it's part number on the system yet. 
That's how new it is.

realzed

Wonder if it will fit a newer 261 and interchange with the present type? Would be great if it did..

HolmenTree

Quote from: realzed on November 04, 2018, 08:40:33 AM
Wonder if it will fit a newer 261 and interchange with the present type? Would be great if it did..

The new filter was measured and is bigger then the older HD2 filter.
But I'm sure this new washable filter will be available for the 261/362 too.

John Mc

now we just need it to show up in the US
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

outinthewood

It's the way the filter is secured that seems a little iffy for the long term , he reported to me,  not the actual filter although the fact that there is already a new type of filter on such a new saw would make me pay attention ?  

HolmenTree

Quote from: outinthewood on November 04, 2018, 02:09:20 PM
It's the way the filter is secured that seems a little iffy for the long term , he reported to me,  not the actual filter although the fact that there is already a new type of filter on such a new saw would make me pay attention ?  
Yes it will be interesting to see if this new filter has improvements.
But over the decades with my experiences testing and being involved with Stihls development I feel confident the loosening problem has been taken care of.

HolmenTree

Quote from: John Mc on November 04, 2018, 01:01:38 PM
now we just need it to show up in the US
With the recent introduction of the Stihl  MSA 160T  battery saw in Canada, it is confirmed to enter the US market in January.  So I'm confident the MS462 will also be showing up then.

The above pictures I posted of the Stihl Canada  MS462 from Winnipeg,  Manitoba reminds me of a story I once read of Stihl entering the North American market in the 1930's.
(Winnipeg is the geographic centre of North America.)

In 1937 Andrea's Stihl upon hearing of a Dolmar saw was being tested in B.C. Canada he feared the Dolmar may become the saw of choice in the booming Canadian forest industry.
With 5 saws weighing 120 lbs each he travelled with them on a ocean liner to Montreal. From there he rented a car and travelled west with the saws across Canada.

By the time he got to the west coast in Vancouver, B.C. where all the big timber barons wanted to see his saws, he had already sold everything he had.
They weren't interested in his brochures or his European charm, they wanted to try out his saw hands on.
Andreas spent the best part of the next week retracing the 1400 miles back to Winnipeg where he looked up his latest customer and managed to borrow back the chainsaw he had just sold him.

With the saw in his rental car he drove back to Vancouver, B.C.
With a working saw to show he took a good advance order of saws.

While there he set up D.J. Smith Company as his North American distributor and sales agent.
From that period on timber harvesting was never the same.

HolmenTree

I think of my car trips to the west coast via the Trans Canada highway through the bald prairie  and the rugged Rocky Mountains on beautiful smooth pavement .

Andrea's Stihl made those back and forth 1400 mile trips on primitive gravel and dirt roads in a 1930's Model A type of car. :D

lil171

That is quite the interesting story. And to add that yes, that would have been one heck of a trip back and forth in those days.

realzed

Willard - why do you consider that Stihl wouldn't provide any subsequent warranty or customer service for models that aren't M-Tronic equipped? They made 261's without the electronic modules and warrantied them and provided and still do, service for them.. is it that they just want to force everyone down a certain path or is this just a somewhat short-sighted and German (read - stubborn) stance?
In doing so from what I can tell from those I often see post comments to the effect "I will never trust any electronics to control my saw" and/or saying "I will never buy one that I can't adjust myself" type of thing.. aren't they just cutting off a noticeable and somewhat legitimate portion of their potential customer base?  

HolmenTree

Quote from: lil171 on November 04, 2018, 07:18:47 PM
That is quite the interesting story. And to add that yes, that would have been one heck of a trip back and forth in those days.
There was a lot more to that trip for Mr Stihl I didn't include .
He single handedly drove into many remote logging camps in that mountainous terrain to demonstrate that saw.
He was the ultimate salesman.
Then everything went to hell in a hand basket for him a few years later when WW2 started. His German patents were then worthless, his factory flattened by allied bombers.
Then on top of all that his saws in North America were copied to the exact screw bolt (kinda like the Chinese today)and a hundred saw companies opened for business in North America.
The Swedes were lucky they stayed neutral during the war.

HolmenTree

Quote from: realzed on November 04, 2018, 07:37:10 PM
Willard - why do you consider that Stihl wouldn't provide any subsequent warranty or customer service for models that aren't M-Tronic equipped? They made 261's without the electronic modules and warrantied them and provided and still do, service them.. is it that they just want to force everyone down a certain path or is this just somewhat short-sighted and a German (read - stubborn) stance?
In doing so from what I can tell from those I often see post comments to the effect "I will never trust any electronics to control my saw" and/or saying "I will never buy one that I can't adjust myself" type of thing.. aren't they just cutting off a noticeable and legitimate portion of their potential customer base?  
realzed, re read my comments. I said if someone decides to order saws from overseas ..then don' t expect your dealer in Sudbury, Ontario to cover its warranty if something goes wrong with it.
Same goes for Husqvarna or any other brand.
Maybe I wasn't clear, your Stihl dealer can't order a saw from overseas.
But someone there can send you one. 

HolmenTree

And if you search various saw sites there are lots of Europeans who will send for profit a 462 cm or non cm to North America,  but when you get it you're on your own , no dealer support. Every saw serial # is recorded at each dealership for record.

sawguy21

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 04, 2018, 07:38:09 PM
Quote from: lil171 on November 04, 2018, 07:18:47 PM
There was a lot more to that trip for Mr Stihl I didn't include .
He single handedly drove into many remote logging camps in that mountainous terrain to demonstrate that saw.
He was the ultimate salesman.
Then everything went to hell in a hand basket for him a few years later when WW2 started. His German patents were then worthless, his factory flattened by allied bombers.
Then on top of all that his saws in North America were copied to the exact screw bolt (kinda like the Chinese today)and a hundred saw companies opened for business in North America.
The Swedes were lucky they stayed neutral during the war.
Peter Holmquist did the same thing with Husqvarna, he hated the Stihl distributor. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

Well I wouldn't say he invented a chainsaw but he was a good promoter and able to speak Swedish.

He was born and raised on a farm in Saskatchewan just down the road from our farm.
He showed up at a chainsaw contest I was at about 40 years ago promoting his saws. I was running a Stihl.
He cracked a joke about Husqvarna making guns to shoot the Germans in the world wars.
I said "yeah they may have made them but they were too chicken to use them".
He didn't like that. :D

barbender

Haha good come back!😂😂
Too many irons in the fire

joe_indi

So, finally it has arrived! Have fun.
Frankly, I found the new 382 enough of a saw for our use here to support the 460s and 461s.

A bit worn out and shop shabby :(

HolmenTree

That's awesome Joe. ;D
You were one of the first persons on earth to hold and see a MS462 working, old news for you. :)

I still haven't touched one yet, might be a while as this first shipment is sold out.

teakwood

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 05, 2018, 06:44:10 AMI still haven't touched one yet, might be a while as this first shipment is sold out.

You didn't assure one from the first order before they sold out??

How much $ is the saw in Canada? That was a subject on a tread some time ago 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

HolmenTree

Quote from: teakwood on November 05, 2018, 08:54:24 AM
Quote from: HolmenTree on November 05, 2018, 06:44:10 AMI still haven't touched one yet, might be a while as this first shipment is sold out.

You didn't assure one from the first order before they sold out??

How much $ is the saw in Canada? That was a subject on a tread some time ago
I just found out a day ago they came into Canada.
I guess my friend and I aren't that close. Him and another guy in B.C. are buying them and shipping them into the US. Only 35 came into Canada on this first shipment so he says.
I'm in no rush as I got a sweet 066 hybrid and 261to keep me happy for now.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

HolmenTree

Quote from: barbender on November 05, 2018, 10:07:23 AM
Some friend lol.
Yeah I guess he has more CAD to share with forum members in the US :D
Another warning for the guys in the US who are buying these saws from Canada, you are on your own if you need warranty.
We may be neighbors but both Stihl Canada and Stihl Inc. in Virginia beach are 2 totally separate identities.
Warranty rules for one doesn't work for the other.
Stihl Ultra and orange bottle mix in both countries are different. Canadian mix is manufactured by Castrol and American mix is manufactured by Omni Specialty Packaging  LLC.
Emissions are different too.

John Mc

So if I buy a saw  where I live here in Vermont,  then moved to Canada the warranty  Will not be honored by Stihl?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!