iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 404 questions

Started by Flyingpig, November 04, 2018, 08:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyingpig

Hey guys. I bought a nice straight and clean 404 yesterday. It has a locked up engine (I'm thinking blower issues, he described it as black smoke and then locked up). I happen to have a blower ha ha. Anyway, does anyone know what to use for oil in the transmission? It's a powershift, I think they were an Allison? Also, what do they weigh roughly? Thanks.

Flyingpig

Alright I guess I'll add a couple pics...

It's a really straight, tight machine. Looks like it has had a pretty easy life. We'll bring it home and see if our hunch on the engine is right and if it is it won't be long before it's back to work. It is complete too, all the guards and panels are there for it.

bushmechanic

Good score on the old girl, hope that engine doesn't run you into too much money. ;)

thecfarm

Hope all goes well. Thanks for the pictures.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Flyingpig

If it does we'll re power it. We've got a 6354 Perkins that purrs like a kitten...

larry12

Good looking old TJ  --sorry can't help you with the weight or  trans. oil type . My engine is locked to, but from water damage --hope yours is just something minor. 

Flyingpig

The engine was a bit more serious but we are getting a handle on er. They had 'rebuilt' the front hole with a piston that looks to be out of a 53 series turbocharged engine. It is a way lower compression dome and it has a lot of cylinder wall clearance. Number 3 cylinder was seized and the liner stuck to the piston and broke at the ports. Also it's been packed full of seeds by mice over the two years it has sat. So we are pulling two piston/liner assemblies out of a 353 we have from a 230D and putting them in and going over the rest of the engine. It's a temporary patch fix, but once it makes us some money we will stop and do a full rebuild on it the next time it hints at trouble. 

Flyingpig

Well, we spent our first day pulling wood in with the old girl yesterday. We spent a few days with the winch and other problems that showed up after we got the engine running. $2,000 all in for a running, functioning skidder. Runs really nice too, has a little blowby until it's warm and then it's good. Takes a small sniff of ether to wake it up at -10. About as good as I've ever had a Detroit run.

https://youtu.be/xOOwf1mYDCs

mike_belben

For that kinda money one can overlook a lot of flaws.  

smiley_thumbsup
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!