iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Feeding of the deer

Started by thecfarm, December 30, 2018, 10:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricklayer51

I looked out my back door a little bit ago had three rearing up on their hind legs eating cedar.

Jeff

I would imagine the cedar is getting a good high prune this year.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mike_belben

Is that like a yooper high water mark?  Cedars with 13ft clear buttlogs?   :D
Praise The Lord

pabst79

The few cedars I have behind the house are trimmed up to 5' or so. They haven't been touched for a few years. When I was out tonight putting out corn and sunflower, I noticed that a row of 10' high white pines were also trimmed up to head height. The deer look pretty healthy this year besides a couple fawns that showed up last week, they are a little gaunt. We feed corn,sunflower and pumpkin from end of Nov. til Spring thaw. I've never seen them go after the pine before, but I do remember in the late 80's my Dad shot a nice buck that had a stomach chock full of pine needles, it was tradition to take a peak at what the animal was surviving on. Even as a little kid I remember thinking that was an odd diet?
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

mike_belben

Thats got to be a ramen night for them.
Praise The Lord

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I could not listen to it all.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

glad I don't work in an ER near them.  What do you bet the guy filming is missing and arm and a leg.  Ads new meaning to the phrase "costing and arm and a leg"  sorry to clarify, I watched the next video of guys running a huge band mill, in Vietnam and pushing it by hand and wearing sandals, on top of a 6 foot diam. log.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

gspren

My wife fed some deer last evening, she made it into tacos and fed it to me!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Your sign reminded me we have taken pictures of road signs all over the world where we vacationed. One of our most unique ones was near Capetown in South Africa that said something to the effect "No stopping in this area as car jackings are common". You guessed it - we had to stop and get a picture of the sign. ???
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

That wasnt a picture of a sign, it was an audio video link.

WV Sawmiller

I know it is an audio link but I saw the road sign of the deer crossing on the cover of the link which triggered my reminder.

Edit: And the whole topic of the audio link is about deer crossing signs.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Gearbox

I have been cutting a couple of Maples every day to help my herd . looks like a cow pasture around them the next day . I have to keep logging just to feed my deer .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

submarinesailor

Quote from: Magicman on February 20, 2019, 09:36:33 PM
Heeeers your sign.  

Lynn,
Isn't that a road map of how both houses of congress works.
Bruce

mike_belben

[Edit 10-4 boss]

I thought it was a bad tribal tattoo design
Praise The Lord

Jeff

Political lean to this topic. Don't go there.

braucher

If anyone is able or cares to now is the time to hinge cut some soft maples for them.
This is about the toughest month

thecfarm

I will be cutting some wood. But it's in an area of just about all soft wood. Just white pine and red pine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tawilson

I've seen deer around here munch on hemlocks I've cut down too. And they are mostly all trimmed up 5' or so also.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Peter Drouin

So Cfarm, How are the deer doing over there??
Mine are running around'
This guy will be out soon.  ;D

I think he will eat more than the deer.  ;)

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Deer are doing fine. I have a steady 30 still coming. When the snow starts to melt,they will slowly taper off and than there will be no deer. There are a few deer out there now.
I am cutting some red pine for the OWB. The deer are coming in there to eat. Nothing like if I dropped a white maple.
Not many bear in this area. My Father hunted this area for years and never saw tracks or a bear. He farmed here too and was outside alot,but never saw one.I had one that came to the feeder a couple years ago. First one I have seen here. Brenda saw one a long ago. I stopped at the stop sign,looked left and she looked right and said,look a bear. By the time I looked right it was gone.

Peter Drouin

We have a bunch of bears here. Never had a lick of trouble from them.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

braucher

I am noticing more road killed deer this year .
Anyone else seeing this or maybe I am looking more 
I am in northeast Ohio

WV Sawmiller

More road kill deer on the road is a clear sign the economy must be better in your area. :D
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!