iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood spliting by hand

Started by bendjoseph, December 21, 2012, 04:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Quote from: gunman63 on January 01, 2013, 10:21:55 AM
I hire the  Menonites to  spilt mine, they  average 24 full cds a day, cut and split, all with a maul, the dad is  proably 45 , 2 boys 17-18 and  a couple younger ones 8-12 , $25 a cord, that  supply everything  but the wood, they do  about 500  cds a year for me, and at least another 200-300 for  other ppl.

I cant believe this.  Did you mean 2-4 and not 24?
Praise The Lord

John Mc

Wow! $25/cord for a full cord? That's a bargain! (not sure I'd even settle for $25 for a face cord).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

woodsdog2015

I split with my fiskars x27 when I can and when I'm in the mood.  Othewise I bring it down to a splitter.  I was thinking of hauling the splitter up to the wood but I'm not certain that's the best way to do it either.  FYI, my cut areas and staging areas are a long distance apart.
I'd rather be in the woods.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

thecfarm

I can haul more wood right up by the house,than I could if I had to bring the spliter in the woods. But I suppose if I wanted to split in the woods I would come up with a good dump something.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

upnut

Used to split everything by hand, make a "splitter pile" of tough stuff for Dad's home-made splitter. Fast forward forty years, my TSC hydraulic splitter does it all. The little four-way add on wedge works ok in straight ash but excels at kindling making a trailer load at a time if need be. Gotta love hydraulics....

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

alan gage

I've never been tempted to get a splitter before but have been fighting hip and lower back issues most of the winter and still am. I can still split by hand but it's slower going and not as safe. I also got a sawmill last year so the nice straight logs are getting milled rather than split, which leaves me with the gnarlier pieces for firewood. The splitters are starting to get more attractive. 

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

J 5

Hats off to all you guys splitting wood by hand ,but  I'll dust off the splitter to do this years pile !
                           Regards  J 5

doug blotz

I cut and split 8 cords a year in town. A couple more in the mountains. I'm 60 and lost the use of my right hand in an ATV accident 10 years ago but I still split 90% by hand. I've got a splitter but only use it on the gnarly wood. I like the workout but I have noticed the older I get, the more breaks I take. 
It's faster by hand, even taking breaks.   

streem26

I have a Champion 22 ton splitter and it works great https://cozzy.org/best-log-splitter/ I still split with a maul or an ax...sometimes
But in the real world, wood has knots, crotches and some of it is stringy...all it takes is one tough piece of wood that the maul can't get through in one hit and the race is over, splitter wins.

Thank You Sponsors!