iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jonsereds Nordfeller cushion

Started by HolmenTree, December 30, 2013, 01:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

It's -40 below wind chill outside today so I thought today would be a good day to post some cool chainsaw stuff.

Back in the summer of 1979 my Jonsereds dealer was passing out this new fangled inflatable felling wedge attached to a Jonsereds 70E to our local logging camps to tryout.
By the time it got to our camp as a faller I never got a chance to try it out. It so happened one of the guys accidentally cut it with the  saw before it lifted the tree and that was the last we saw of it. The other guys in the other camps didn't speak much English so I never got any feedback there either.
Is there any one reading this that had a chance to try this setup out? And any other information and what year it disappeared from the market would also be gladly appreciated.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

beenthere

If'n it worked good, likely we'd see it on the market today. IMO

Poking a hole in it would be a real bummer if counting on it while in the backcut and relying on it to tip the tree.
Likely would keep a few wedges in there for security just in case it popped partway while being inflated.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

HolmenTree

Quote from: beenthere on December 30, 2013, 02:44:22 PM
If'n it worked good, likely we'd see it on the market today. IMO

Poking a hole in it would be a real bummer if counting on it while in the backcut and relying on it to tip the tree.
Likely would keep a few wedges in there for security just in case it popped partway being inflated.
That's what I figured too, probably a lot of them got cut or discontinued because of poor feedback. But I believe Husqvarna sold them for a while too later on after they bought out Jonsereds.
From what I understand a lot of loggers over in Scandinavia were paid by the hour where the cushion could be tolerated. But here in North America logging was almost always paid by piecework at that time.

celliott

How many plastic wedges get nicked with a saw? If they get real bad just re-do the edge on a belt sander until they get real short or break, then toss them. A nick with the saw doesn't automatically take it out of action, or dull your chain. Probably a big reason the cushions never got popular, danger of nicking it and ruining it.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

celliott

It's still really neat though  :)
Cool old brochures, I love that stuff  8)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

Interesting. I never have heard of it before.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

NCFarmboy

Thanks you Holmen for this post.  I knew of the Nordfeller from reading but never knew what it was for.  Thanks again.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

HolmenTree

Quote from: NCFarmboy on December 31, 2013, 09:26:53 AM
Thanks you Holmen for this post.  I knew of the Nordfeller from reading but never knew what it was for.  Thanks again.
Shep
Your welcome Shep.
I would sure like to own one to try out and  to have hanging on my workshop wall as a decoration. Plus that Jonsereds 70E would be nice to have too. My older brother had a 70E back in the day and he said it was a great saw.

Willard.

Grandedog

Howdy,
   Their biggest issue that they had, is that with not much wind the tree could pop it like it wasn't even there.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

HolmenTree

Quote from: Grandedog on December 31, 2013, 03:20:16 PM
     Howdy,
   Their biggest issue that they had, is that with not much wind the tree could pop it like it wasn't even there.
Regards
Gregg
I was thinking the along the same lines too, might work fine in the smaller timber in Sweden but get a bad wind on some taller stuff and the leverage at the stump would be incredible.
Same scenario with fallers using light hydraulic jacks, a little head wind and the seals are blown out.

HolmenTree

For some reason my last post tripled, how do I delete 2 of the posts? ???

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Grandedog

Howdy,
   The dynamic loads from outside sources at the stump are incredible. There are a huge amount of variables to take into consideration when using tree jacks.  As sort of a standardized example: If you had a 100' tall Doug Fir, slight lean, standard cut, normal hinge wood, would roughly take 3000 - 5000 (roughly 30% - 50% of jacks rating) psi., on a 30 ton jack. A 10MPH wind can double to triple those numbers. When you start adding more extreme variables to the equation the results are crazy loads.
   I repaired a lot of jacks through the years and there was one that always sticks out in my mind. It belong to Dana Hastings over in Westport. Silvey Jacks have a built in velocity check valve so if you blew a hose and the fluid tried to rush out of the ram, it would stop the flow. The valve consisted of a piece of spring steel that was a 1/2" wide, and 1/16" thick. The spring steel sat to where it was positioned about an 1/8" above a 1/4" diameter hole the fluid went in and out of. Well as usual Dana was trying to push the elephant up the stairs with a pair of Silvey 125 ton rams when he caught a little breeze of the coast. It had a 20,000 psi gauge on it pegged, wrecked the gauge, and started drizzling a little. So he locked off the rams, pulled the gauge, and installed the emergency plug. At this point, you're flying without instruments but, there's no other choice unless you have a gauge in your pocket. Dana, and his jack packer started in on it, and he said about the time they were both standing on the jack handle, they blew the hose. Normally when a hose blows, there's not much fluid because even though there lots of pressure, the velocity valve holds the fluid back. Dana said it took him a second to realize the valve failed, so they bailed. Tree went over backwards. He said crap was falling out of the canopy for what seemed like 5 minutes. Well, when I took the cylinder and piston off the base, that piece of spring steel had a perfect 1/4" hole punched in it. I'm not sure what kind of pressure it took to do that but, it had to be tremendous.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

HolmenTree

Gregg, thanks for sharing that awesome story :new_year:

Willard.

NCFarmboy

Agree w/Holman Awesome story!!!!!!! 
Also didn't know Nordfeller was On Jred 70.  IIRC the Nordfeller I read about was on a 444?
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

HolmenTree

Quote from: NCFarmboy on January 01, 2014, 02:07:37 PM
Also didn't know Nordfeller was On Jred 70.  IIRC the Nordfeller I read about was on a 444?
Shep
Jonsereds invented and introduced the Nordfeller cushion as the above ads show on or before 1978. Electrolux had already bought out Husqvarna by then, but Jonsereds was still on its own as a private company.
Later on when Jonsered Husqvarna and Partner were all under Electrolux ownership did the Nordfeller start appearing on other saw models.

stihl 050 super

And the 451E jonsereds was set up for it.

Thanks for the history lesson.

Oliver1655

Willard, thanks for the information. I greatly enjoy seeing/hearing about the different accessories used over the years.

I would love to see some more information on the accessories they had for some of the different power heads. One in particular is the Stihl 08.
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

HolmenTree

Thought I'd bump this old thread, lots of good reading here.
There was quite a few first designs from Jonsereds.
In 1950 when they started making chainsaw parts for the 1949 Norwegian built Comet diesel saw which was the world's first fuel injected saw, then eventually buying out Comet as their first chainsaw model.
They introduced the 50 in 1971 with the world's first mechanical chainbrake.  Around 1975 they introduced the world's first electronic heated handles on a chainsaw.
That article I have to dig up.

Also the first centrifugal air cleaning system called the Turbo around 1987 on the 2051. I believe that saw had the first spring anti vibe also.

sablatnic

It was actually the Jonsered 2051 that came with turbo cleaner - the 2050 was just a plastic farmer saw. Ok, the 2050 came with turbo cleaner a few years later.
I can remember that we waited for the 2051 a LONG time. We were told it would come at fall, and it did come at late fall, the next year.

wild262

Quote from: sablatnic on February 06, 2019, 03:13:27 PM
It was actually the Jonsered 2051 that came with turbo cleaner - the 2050 was just a plastic farmer saw. Ok, the 2050 came with turbo cleaner a few years later.
I can remember that we waited for the 2051 a LONG time. We were told it would come at fall, and it did come at late fall, the next year.

I believe you are right about the 2051 being the 1st with this.  More of a "pro" saw compaired to the 2050.  The 2051 was also a very high rpm runner as well.  I had one for a short period of time.

Caloren

In 1972 I used a Husky at a friends place in British Columbia that I thought had spring anti vibe, it certainly was springy when using it. He was bucking at the landing and said this saw was the only one he had found that wouldn't tear up his hands using it all day long. Another thing that impressed me was how quiet it was. At that time we were using Mac's and Remington's and knew nothing about hearing protection! :( This was the first Husky chainsaw we had seen, all I knew about Husky was they made great motorcycle's and rifle's, sadly no more. Can anybody tell me approximately what model of saw he had, and what type of AV it had?
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

HolmenTree

1972 would have been the 2nd year Husqvarna got established in the North American market.
I'm guessing if it was used in the landing and had anti vibration mounts it would be a 180 S introduced in 1971.
It had rubber mounts.

HolmenTree

Quote from: HolmenTree on February 06, 2019, 03:00:43 PM
Thought I'd bump this old thread, lots of good reading here.
There was quite a few first designs from Jonsereds.
In 1950 when they started making chainsaw parts for the 1949 Norwegian built Comet diesel saw which was the world's first fuel injected saw, then eventually buying out Comet as their first chainsaw model.
They introduced the 50 in 1971 with the world's first mechanical chainbrake.  Around 1975 they introduced the world's first electronic heated handles on a chainsaw.
That article I have to dig up.

Also the first centrifugal air cleaning system called the Turbo around 1987 on the 2051. I believe that saw had the first spring anti vibe also.
1975 first saw in the  industry with electronic heated handles.

Thank You Sponsors!