iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

slabs spliting

Started by xlogger, April 03, 2015, 06:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I cut a 20" white oak log up a few months ago into 2" live edge slabs. It had been cut down over a year. I didn't seal the ends and it split pretty much all threw the boards. It was on stickers and place in an old whse for drying without much air flow. If I would of seal the ends would that stop most of the splitting or what should I have done different if I do another one?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Seaman

Sealing the ends would help, placing stickers near the ends help, and weighting down the stack  helps. All that being said, if the tree busted when it was felled, or had enough stress in it, there is nothing you can do.
If they split but dried flat, saw the split out and glue them back together after they are dry.
FRank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

How big are the splits?  If they are open more than about 1/4", then they are caused by stress in the tree (growth stress) and not drying stress.  End coating prevents most drying stress cracks, but does not control growth stress splits.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Peter Drouin

Saw it up when you cut it down with sealed ends.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!