iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Delivering Firewood

Started by deastman, April 08, 2014, 11:29:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deastman

Was wondering what some of you use to deliver cut and split firewood, how many cord you haul, what you figure for hauling and do you figure different rates for over a certain mileage? I've got a bunch of firewood to cut, split and deliver and am curious to what some of you do. Any help would be appreciated,  thanks
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

goose63

stacked neat I get close to 4 cords $450 a load up to 50 miles over that I get $550 a load hope this helps
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Peter Drouin

Quote from: goose63 on April 08, 2014, 01:11:18 PM

stacked neat I get close to 4 cords $450 a load up to 50 miles over that I get $550 a load hope this helps

You get 100 a cord. It's an eye opener to see in different places in the US what guys get for fire wood
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

rick f

We use a 1 ton pickup with an e-z dumper. We thru in the front and stacked just the back tier. We haul a cord to a time. We get $230 a cord delivered within 15 miles. We did about 150 cord this winter Stump to dump. All split with a couple splitting mauls, 3 old farts with chainsaws and a skidder.  Best part beside the money, we had a great time doing it, good times with good friends.

These are the rest of our crew ( Old Farts)
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Peter Drouin

That's a lot of wood for the truck. Is that a cord?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

North River Energy

'85 f350 2wd, drw.  185 cu-ft thrown and that's enough. Delivery charge to cover fuel.  Farthest haul is maybe 30-40 miles out and back.

rick f

Peter , yes that is a cord.  We cut and split and pile a cord on the ground then put it on the truck. Then we know how to fill it the rest of the winter.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Peter Drouin

Quote from: rick f on April 09, 2014, 05:13:33 AM
Peter , yes that is a cord.  We cut and split and pile a cord on the ground then put it on the truck. Then we know how to fill it the rest of the winter.

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.

glassman_48

deastman,
I have been using a 12' dump trailer, we stacked up 3 face cords when we first started this a few years ago, then used a conveyor to put in the trailer loose.  Since then I know pretty close where to fill my trailer to.  I also only sell by the trailer load now.  No one has ever complained and I dont have to worry about the stack coming up a few pieces short or extra.  I get $225.00 plus tax and delivery within 10 miles, I usually get 20 bucks for that.  Next year I will charge more for my basic delivery charge. 

jargo432

As a kid I worked for a man that made a living from selling firewood.  My job was to split, and stack during the week after school then on the weekends I would go with him to deliver in Ft Worth.  He had a large flatbed truck that would haul 2 and a half cords, but the best part was a mule he carried on the back for times when when we couldn't get the truck close to where they wanted it stacked.  (I wish I could tell you what kind of truck it was but that was a long time ago) 

He would toss each piece to me to stack but you had to be on your toes, every now and then he would send two my way with a big, tobacco drenched grin.  I loved those days.  He would always stop on the way home and buy me BBQ.  One of the best men I've ever known. 

Best memory I have was one day it was payday and he asked me how much he owed me.  I figured something like $85.  He wore a pair of bib overalls, so he pulled out a huge wad of money from the top middle pocket and starts thumbing through it for at least 30 seconds, then hands me a $100 and says, "there you go, it's all I got"

Sorry, I know this is all off subject, It's just your question brought back some really great memories.
Jack of all trades.

Roger2561

A few years ago I paid someone to deliver my fire wood, cut and split.  I stacked it.  I paid for 5 cord.  I was just tossed into the back of a dump truck.  Due to work requirements and other more pressing needs, I didn't get around to stacking it until 3 months later.  By the time I was done stacking he shorted me a cord and a half.  I called him and he said he'd deliver the balance of what he owed me.  He never showed.  I called my states attorney's office and asked what my recourse was and they told me that I had none. I had waited too long to stack it.  State NH says I have a week to from the time of delivery to when anything legally can happen if there is a discrepancy.  I took that as learning curve but didn't press it.  The following year this same supplier of firewood called and asked if I wanted 5 more cord from him.  Needless to say after I got talking, er yelling, I called my priest to see if he would hear my confession.  I now get my firewood log length.  The guy seemed to go out of his way to deliver more than what I pay for.  It wasn't until after my second year of receiving my firewood from this guy that I learned he was the younger brother of the guy who shorted me a cord and half.  He knows what his brother did to me so maybe he feels guilty.  He guarantees and I pay for an 11 cord load and I've never received anything under 12 cord.  The last load was 13 1/2 cord.  Roger     
Roger

deastman

Thanks guys for the info and the stories too. Looks like I'm gonna start selling some firewood this summer. Not sure yet how much I'll be able to sell yet where I'm just starting but I'm sure it will be an adventure.  ;D
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

glassman_48

deastman,
Good luck on your new venture, I was lucky because I already had a pickup truck and a 12' dump trailer from my glass business.  We had such a down turn in the economy that I decided to purchase a buzz rig a few years ago and I ordered 10 pulp cords of firewood.  I purchased a high end log splitter and threw all my wood under my portable carport.  My family and close friends were my first customers, then the state started calling mid winter because their regular firewood vendors were running out of wood.  I was able to use that demo firewood processor part of one summer while getting one built, so I had time to build up a pretty good customer base.  I was so nervous about processor payments I took money out of my retirement account figuring I could always sell the machine if things didnt work out.  Now this could literally be another almost full time business, I am 60 years old so more full time is not in the cards for me, but I have a 30 year old son who loves doing firewood so I am working with him to build this business up so he can purchase it from me someday.  Really wish you the best,,,,,,,,ed

husky2100

Deatsman im not sure what you guys get up in maine.  Around here in central ny i get 75 a split face delivered but after about 15 miles it does go up.  Id check craiglist in your area for pricing.

CRThomas

Quote from: rick f on April 08, 2014, 07:45:26 PM
We use a 1 ton pickup with an e-z dumper. We thru in the front and stacked just the back tier. We haul a cord to a time. We get $230 a cord delivered within 15 miles. We did about 150 cord this winter Stump to dump. All split with a couple splitting mauls, 3 old farts with chainsaws and a skidder.  Best part beside the money, we had a great time doing it, good times with good friends.

I have desided to try Dino Bags to sell firewood I was using seed bags but wood left for a month or so mildos So i have desided to try Dino bags they are vented That way I can put 6 on my truck or trailer any time I have to go to town can make a deliver Dino said they hold one face cord just dump in there what do you think of this idea speak up new some in put good or bad

glassman_48

CRThomas, I use a bagging system from canada, motti bagging system from hakmet.  My pallets are 42 by 40 and are less than a face cord.  THe 48 by 48 from apache forest products is supposed to be a face cord.  This winter I just did up bags of firewood and people came and either hand loaded or I could set them in the back of a pick up truck.  A lot easier than the traditional way, in the winter after the right amount of snow and cold the tops get a pretty good crust of snow on them, we just shovel the snow off the top and not much other than the top pieces of wood are wet at all.  It works pretty good overall.   I also sell the bags of wood to campers, cottage owners that dont want to keep buying the $5 bundles all summer. 

luvmexfood

Back in the late 70s a buddy and me were in High School. Every Saturday we would have a longbed pick-up load promised and would get $35 a load for it and split the money. Go to town that night and eat out, game rooms, movie what ever. We would still come back with money in our pocket. Course the eating out was fastfood but back then $2 would feed you good at Burger King. As quoted had a good time doing and made our spending money.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

beenthere

QuoteDino said they hold one face cord

CRT
That is right at a 1500 lbs per Dino bag. Or times 6, for a 4½ ton truck load.

How do you lift the Dino bags with one face cord in them?  Have any pics?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

CRThomas

Quote from: luvmexfood on April 15, 2014, 03:43:55 PM

Back in the late 70s a buddy and me were in High School. Every Saturday we would have a longbed pick-up load promised and would get $35 a load for it and split the money. Go to town that night and eat out, game rooms, movie what ever. We would still come back with money in our pocket. Course the eating out was fastfood but back then $2 would feed you good at Burger King. As quoted had a good time doing and made our spending money.
What do you get for a bag delivered and do they buy the bag

CRThomas

Quote from: beenthere on April 15, 2014, 06:38:07 PM
QuoteDino said they hold one face cord

CRT
That is right at a 1500 lbs per Dino bag. Or times 6, for a 4½ ton truck load.

How do you lift the Dino bags with one face cord in them?  Have any pics?
I only sell Ash I have 31/5 ton fork lift I load them with and a tractor I take along on my trailer if they want the bag but if they dont want the bag I just hand unload it and keep the bean bags to refill. Dry a face cord of Ash only weighs a 1000 lb some times take my pickup and trailer with a bag on the forks and a bag on the back fork. thats about all my half tilt will carry.go to raisin666@facebook.com my hole operation is there

Thank You Sponsors!