iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Speech to type

Started by D Hagens, March 05, 2010, 02:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D Hagens

Hi I was wondering if anyone uses or knows of a free program that will convert speech to type.
My mom has Parkinson's disease and I notice many times that she has problems typing to the point where she has to give up.
I've heard of speech recognition programs that will convert speech to type and I think that Word has one but I really have no idea where to look.
Any help would be appreciated.  :)

SwampDonkey

Windows XP

Go to the Start button. Click on Help and Support. In the search box type "speech to text" On the left of the window is a series of links under the title Pick a Task. Click on "Add Speech Recognition" and follow the instructions in the navigation window.

See how that works.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

D Hagens

Thank you SwampDonkey :)

In Win 7 it's a bit different but when I get back I will play with it.

Be nice to see my mom keep on writing her letters when her hands can't work for her.

DouginUtah

As far as commercial products are concerned, it's pretty much a one-product world for speech to text. That product is Dragon Naturally Speaking.

Here are a couple of links to learn more about it:

http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking/products/product-comparison.asp
http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking/products/editions/standard.asp

If you could find V. 10.0 at a discount, the upgrade to 10.1 is free. V. 10.1 is certified to run on Windows 7. Otherwise the standard version is $99 from Nuance.

If you do try DNS let us know how it works.

As for Windows 7, if you go to Start > Help and Support and search for speech to text you will access the built-in speech to text program. You have to have a microphone connected to your computer to access the program.

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

DouginUtah

I just spent an hour going through the Windows 7 speech recognition tutorial. I am very impressed. I've got to print out a list of all the commands though.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

D Hagens

I just finished the voice recognition setup, which was almost like having a real job. :D
I find that it has a tendency to finish my sentences and I'm guessing that's a setup issue.
From what I see this is a pretty big program with many options so this should be interesting.
Wonder what happens to a guy if he has a few drinks and thinks that this program might help him type!

SwampDonkey

As far as I recall Microsoft spends a lot of money making software for the disabled. So, often it's just best to use what's already on your computer. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

D Hagens

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 06, 2010, 06:24:53 AM
As far as I recall Microsoft spends a lot of money making software for the disabled. So, often it's just best to use what's already on your computer. ;)

Yes the more I go through MS software that comes with Win 7 the more I see how much time and effort that they put in to this.