iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

started to build platforms on the mill

Started by lyle niemi, April 04, 2012, 08:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyle niemi

Dave and I went hard today on the mill. Tomorrow is supposed to be bad weather, forcasting a snow storm.

DDDfarmer

Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

snowshoveler

Won't be long now and you will be sawing logs.
I think you pretty much have the title of the "Fastest Mill Builder In The West"
Nice work.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

bandmiller2

Milling is better on the boardwalk.Next should be a roof and covered log deck then when it snows or rains you can have an enjoyable day with the mill. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

markd

Boy you guys are amazing,gettin alot done! Markd
markd

Ron Wenrich

Did you saw that lumber you're using?  I see you're using pipe for your log deck.  What's your plans for the space between the end of the pipes and the carriage to load your logs?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

lyle niemi

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on April 05, 2012, 06:45:10 AM
Did you saw that lumber you're using?  I see you're using pipe for your log deck.  What's your plans for the space between the end of the pipes and the carriage to load your logs?
All the lumber is what I had cut when I was setting up the mill the first time, lots of thick and thins...lol
I plan on building some kind of swinging gates at the end of the pipes. Im getting to old to crawl over pipes anymore.

bandmiller2

Lyle mayby next size smaller pipe will fit inside and could be slid out to load then slid back in to pass.It would help if the end of the slider was supported somewhere on the carriage. I think your up for the "man of action" award. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

isawlogs

Good job Its getting to look like a mill .  8) 8)  Hope the dump of snow clears away from you.  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

markd

I 'm with Frank you and Dave are both up for men of action. I sure like seeing your progress. Thanks for taking time to post for us. Do you guys sleep? Markd
markd

ALWOL

Looks really good. I would almost make the trip to Canada to get work a mill with a boardwalk!

Alan
There's a big difference between staying busy and making money.

lyle niemi

Dave and I did a little more today, got some more platforms built around the motor. We run out of angle iron so we had to stop the plat form project.
I started to build gates off the skidway, not done yet but got a good start on them. The weather is starting to go bad on us :'(

Ron Wenrich

You'll need to brace them or they'll bend. 

Back when I had a handmill, I had a set of wheels that I could flip up onto my log deck.  They looked more like a couple of bearings in size, but they were solid.  They were on a hinge so you could flip them down to roll logs in.  When you flipped them up, they served as a log turning assist.  There were 2 wheels on each of them, with one placed higher and behind the front one.

You would simply pull the log onto the wheels, and it would shoot back onto the carriage.  You're only turning 90° instead of 270° and you're pulling, not rolling.  I could turn logs as fast as I could with a log turner. 

Mellott makes a turner that has a wheel on top, and its used just for that purpose.  You just need a way to get it down when you want to load a log.  Pop it up when you want to turn.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

markd

What do you guys have for power? For some reason it looks remote to me. Do you expect snow to pile up or just get cold for a bit?
markd

lyle niemi

I started to work on the conveyor system for the tail end of the mill. This will be the drive for the conveyor belt. The conveyor belt will be from an old swather canvass, I think it should work well

Thank You Sponsors!