iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yet another solar kiln build started

Started by SawyerBrown, March 15, 2015, 04:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerBrown

Bought materials last fall, and they've been waiting patiently (??) for someone (me) to get started.  Cold and snow finally broke, so it's time.  Starting with the deck, frame built and vapor barrier added

Now some treated 3/4 ply for the floor:

Trimmed and finished:

Flipped on the underside and adding 2" of insulation:

Tomorrow I'll finish plywood on the underside, then add the pairs of 2x10 "skids" (want to be able to move this if I need to, so the skids will allow me to pull it up onto my trailer and fit between and over the fenders)

Now if this little guy will just stop distracting me, maybe I can get some work done!

Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Andy White

SB,
That is going to be a fine looking kiln. What are the dimensions inside? Skids are a good idea for sure. Your helper looks like he's taking his job seriously! You will have a great companion for a long time. Keep us updated on your progress.   8) 8)    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

SawyerBrown

Thanks Andy.  It will be just under 16' long by 6' wide inside.  I needed it to fit on my 16' trailer, both from a length and weight standpoint, and I wanted to use as much standard 16' materials (2x's, plywood, etc) as possible.  So I won't be able to dry 16' boards, but not too often you're doing that with hardwoods anyway was my assumption (they get DanG heavy!).  Besides, I still want to focus primarily on custom sawing and offer drying as a side.

By the way (fortunately or unfortunately, as the case may be), the puppy is not mine.  I rent a crib and tool shed out on a farm place, and there's a family that rents the house and garage -- and he's theirs.  I guess it's kind of like grandkids -- you can play with them and enjoy them ... and then send them home for somebody else to take care of!   :D
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

YellowHammer

What are you going to dry?  I'm looking at the background of the photos and only see one little bump, I think it's a tree, in the far distance :D

Just kidding, looks like you've a good handle on things.  Solar kilns are fun builds because when you get done with construction, they just work. 8). I guess it's like a windmill, as soon as it gets up in air, it starts turning.  Same thing with a solar kiln. 
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Tree Dan

Looking good Mr. Brown 8)....i better get cracking or your gona pass me :D
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

SawyerBrown

Now that I have the base almost finished, I'm wondering if I should anchor it somehow.  Would the wind ever blow this thing over??  East/west (on the ends) shouldn't be a problem.  The north is somewhat protected by the tool shed, but from the NE might sneak around tool shed and impact the biggest face.  The south is wide open to winds comin' sweepin' down the plain.  I guess the good thing about the south with its 45deg roof is that there is also down-pressure from any wind, and a relatively short vertical face.  I'm making it light enough to move with a tandem-axle trailer ... but is it too light?  Thanks for letting me think about this out loud, let me know if you have any advice.  I guess if all else fails, I start doing some figuring ... but where is the center of gravity? ...

pineywoods

Sawyer, if you keep it full of lumber, wind won't be a problem  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Tree Dan

I would only worry about it if it's empty like pineywoods says.
And if it moves when its loaded up, then more buildings are going with it.

What you could do if you have a auger, is drill 6 posts in there...add some dry cement...pack it in there, then lag bolt flat bars or angle irons from the posts to your outside base wood.

Looking good....too windy to work on mine.
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

SawyerBrown

Quote from: YellowHammer on March 15, 2015, 07:52:01 PM
What are you going to dry?  I'm looking at the background of the photos and only see one little bump, I think it's a tree, in the far distance :D
YH, wha choo talkin' 'bout?  Trees right around here are a little sparse, but they're big and really straight.  Consistent too.  Same three branches on all of 'em.  Can't wait to cut one down and see what it looks like inside!   ;D 

Got the top of the bottom  say_what finished today, and added the 2x10 rails.  They'll allow me to slide it onto the trailer (over the fenders) if I ever need to move it.  Hopefully not ...

OK, now how to get it flipped over.  No braun left, so brains is all I got.  Inch it over a little bit at a time.  Gosh I love that jack!

With Sonny's help, we got it flipped over and leveled.  Whew!  Tree Dan, he's holding it down until we can get the posts in.   :D

Sonny was tired, so we rested and called it a day.  Maybe tomorrow we start building walls.

Tree Dan

Look at the Paws on that little carpenter helper.

Floor looks good, wheres the walls 8)

Planman1954

Nice progress photos! Don't let up! This is fun to watch.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

SawyerBrown

Quote from: Tree Dan on March 19, 2015, 05:13:36 PM
Look at the Paws on that little carpenter helper.
Oh I know!  They're bigger than their other dog, a full grown female black lab.  He's gonna be a big boy!

SawyerBrown

Quote from: Tree Dan on March 19, 2015, 05:13:36 PM
Floor looks good, wheres the walls 8)

Here you go, my "pile o' walls".   ;D

Oh, now I suppose you want the walls erect?  Man you're a slave driver!   :D

That's tomorrow, if it doesn't rain.  How you coming?

Tree Dan

Your doing a fine job...looks great.
I have one wall on my kiln, but got busy.

Im building mine in the shop, and I may be able to work on it this week end.

We got wood to dry, now lets get those walls up. 8)

scot wolf

I'll offer to help with the first load.  ;D
Likes to play on the farms and in the shop
John Deere 4120 with 400x loader and grapple to haul out logs and firewood
Stihl saws of all sizes to cut 'em up

SawyerBrown

Quote from: scot wolf on March 25, 2015, 08:35:56 AM
I'll offer to help with the first load.  ;D

Hey, a first customer!   8)  :D. Where you at, scot?

chet

Sawyer,
Dat's one dense forest ya got there in the back round.  ;)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

beenthere

Chet, I think maybe that is just a dark cloud on the horizon... ;)   :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SawyerBrown

Actually, I think it's a smudge on the camera lens ...   :D

Hey, they made fun of Noah for building a really big boat in the middle of the desert too!  Someday you guys will be sorry you made fun of me!   ;D

SawyerBrown

OK, walls are up, held together with baling wire and masking tape (kidding).  Quit because that damp wind was just cutting through me and it was tough to work without gloves, even though I hate using gloves.  Maybe later this week it will warm up.

Tree Dan

Looking mighty fine 8)
Is that a man door roughed in? plus are yaa putting in 2 barn doors?

The weather here has been nasty as well

Nice job...

SawyerBrown

Ok, question for you guys ... been trying to decide how to attach the corrugated polycarbonate roofing.  Valleys or tops?  And if tops, use what they're calling a "no-drip spacer"?  Drill first?  And thinking I need to add purlins ... maybe 3 in a 10' span?

Thoughts?

Andy White

SB,
Attach the screws on the ridges, not in the valleys. I used the corrugated poly filler strips under mine , mounted on purlins, and used the selftapping screws. No predrilling , mine is almost a year old now, and still no leaks! I treated the edges with flashing.

Trim length, and fold down and caulk with silicone, and done!     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Glenn1

That is one nice looking solar kiln!!
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Thank You Sponsors!