iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started the build.

Started by fishfighter, April 08, 2015, 12:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishfighter

This small house is going to be a guess/camp house. 2br/1 bath. It's going to be a little over 800sf living. I am building it in three phases. Half of it will be timber/stick built and the other half will be stick built.

At this point, I do have most of the posts  and top plate beams done. I do have to mill a new top plate beam. One went wild. I hope t get to milling a new one soon, but everything is very wet with a lot more rain coming next weekend.

So, at this point, I'm on phase one. This side will be the timber/stick built side. It will be 13.6'x24.6'. It is the living room/kitchen area. My plans are to get the timbers up ASAP and get it closed in ASAP. That way it will keep drying out. The roofing system will be all trusses that I bought.

The foundation. I still have to come back and add more pillars on the centers of all the sills. That will get done tomorrow.

The sills are 8"x6"'s in pine and floor joist are true 2x8's of Red Oak. I was going to use 4/4 red oak for the sub flooring, but I think I will save that for the real floor and use 21/32 OBS sub flooring.

That building in the back will be one of the bedrooms. It's built out of cypress and redwood and it is already finished inside.

fishfighter

Got the decking down yesterday. If I get a break in the rain weather, I will mill some more sills and pour more footings for the rest of the build this weekend.

Magicman

Yaaaaeeeee !!!  This build will be fun/interesting to watch.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Thanks MM.

With the forecast today and thru all next week of 80-100% chances of rain, would it be a bad idea to start putting up post and beams? All of them were milled about two months ago, so they are still green.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: fishfighter on April 12, 2015, 06:58:12 AM
Thanks MM.

With the forecast today and thru all next week of 80-100% chances of rain, would it be a bad idea to start putting up post and beams? All of them were milled about two months ago, so they are still green.

Depends on how wet you want to get while raising the frame. The rain probably won't hurt the timbers much but it sure makes your feet squish in your boots...  :D :D :D :D :D

Good luck and be careful!

Herb

fishfighter

Thanks. I'm putting it off due to way to much rain and mud. My backhoe or tractor would rip everything up and make even more of a mess. ;D

fishfighter

Got a little work done yesterday. Didn't get any pictures, but once I get back later today, I will get some.

I got a problem. :'( The pine sills have some green mold that started growing on it. I had everything covered with a tarp due to all the wet weather, but now uncovered. What should I use to spray to kill that mold?

beenthere

Some chlorine bleach solution will kill it. Say a 10% mix with water, spray or brush it on, rinse off before it dries but after the mold is gone. That would be what I'd try.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: beenthere on May 05, 2015, 09:54:10 AM
Some chlorine bleach solution will kill it. Say a 10% mix with water, spray or brush it on, rinse off before it dries but after the mold is gone. That would be what I'd try.

x2
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

fishfighter

Going to do the bleach tomorrow.

Got a little more work done today. Like I said, this is going to be a timber/stick build.

Got a bit hot today hitting 88F. Had to shut it down due to heat kicks my butt big time. It's now raining. Oh well.

fishfighter

Got some more done yesterday.

Bad thing is, as I was setting the center cross beam, I was on a ladder and I was under the beam lifting it into place. Ladder gave way and I crushed/cut my left hand. Had to shut things down after that. Sucker is hurting bad this morning.

Herb Brooks

red

Pictures ???   blood guts etc

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

fishfighter

Quote from: red on May 13, 2015, 01:40:54 PM
Pictures ???   blood guts etc

Still swelling three times normal. I go into the hospital every Wednesday for a infusion. I'm a very hard stick for a IV and my nurses thru a fit this morning. :D

Lesson learned that I forgot. Ladders do have weight limits. I only weight 170 lbs. Add a wet red oak beam propped on your shoulder. Oh well. :'(

AlaskaLes

Sorry to see that.
Reminds me of my own hand many years ago when a 4" grinder disc at work exploded due to a cracked disc.  I had to shift my motorcycle clutch on the way home and it was truly brutal pain!!  Couldn't see the knuckles through the swelling.
Hope you heal soon.  You should perhaps take a bit of time and planning and start using some sort of lifting frame.  It's a heck of a lot safer and keeps you out of the crush zone.
Building is looking good....hand, not so much.
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

fishfighter

I had got the beam in place with my backhoe, but still needed to shift things and lift things to get that cross beam in place. It sits about 1 1/2" on the post under it, but stabs into the top plate beams.

Got some work done today on my braces. Going to be fun fun tomorrow when I have to jack up the top plate beams to place the braces in place. Shouldn't have much of a problem doing that, I hope. ;D

fishfighter

Got a few of the corner braces in today till the rain ran me off.

Got a few more in, but I was just to wiped to take any pictures.

AlaskaLes

Looking good Fish!  Those braces add a nice profile to the box-like structure of the main timbers.
I can't wait to start working on some of that stuff myself.
Timber framing class is coming up in a few weeks and then we'll start planning the first BBQ-Party Gazebo. 
Leaning towards a Hexagon or an Octagon shape.

Mom's property up the road has a beautiful creek running through it and it's just aching for a nice timber framed structure right next to the creek.
I want to start collecting good tools for this, but I'm forcing myself to wait till I have a clue of which ones will really be useful.

3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M

fishfighter

Tool wise, I'm making due with what I have. The only thing I had to go out and buy was a bandsaw to cut the corner braces. Those are made out of 3" thick boards. I didn't have anything that could cut that thick other then a chainsaw. Oh, paid $75 for the bandsaw off craigslist. ;D

The hand is getting better. All swelling is gone, but still missing some meat on the cut area.

AlaskaLes

We've got a Jet 18" bandsaw with a new kreg resaw fence, a circle/bowl blank jig and upgraded Carter guides.
We set that up last year for the woodturning side of things.  It's nice when you can cover several bases with one tool.

I'm still wondering what we'll need in the way of chisels; slicks; corner chisels, etc.
I'm not against using power tools where they can speed up the process without sacrificing the quality.

Sometimes you just need to bleed a little for the job...seems to appease the Gods.

3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M

fishfighter

Had been just milling sills and a couple beams along with some 2 by boards. I will be doing some more concrete work next week. Hope to get phase 1 roofed in too! Rain been hitting just about every day. We are having one of the wettest springs in a long time.

fishfighter

Got the last post sawed along with the last top plate beam today. Got a little work that needs to be done. Hoping I have it all up by the weekend.

fishfighter

Got all the post and top plate beams up on phase 1. I still have to saw up some more stock for braces. To set those in, I have to jack up the top plates. Got a break in the rain for a few days, I hope.

Tomorrow, hospital infusion day that takes all day and Thursday, doctor's appointment. Just never enough time to do everything. ;D

I am still floating all the braces. I will be pegging them in place in the future.

fishfighter

Got a little more done today. Had to call it quits by 7:30. Sick as a dog. :'( SIL up there. Just knew I would of passed out. Those trusses are 7/12.

Side view.

Had used my backhoe to lift all trusses.

fishfighter

Got a little more done. Been moving along real slow due to rain, heat and me not doing all that good.

Thank You Sponsors!