iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started the build.

Started by fishfighter, April 08, 2015, 12:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishfighter

Thanks guys. It is real hard doing this. My wife has a lot to do with me going back to finish.

I have a doctors appointment this morning in New Orleans today. My blood work from last Friday wasn't all that good. :(  Besides that, It's been very hard for me to just to catch my breath after a short walk.

Anyway, I did finish that last base cabinet yesterday. Got a little lite sanding on everything and then varnishing it all. Problem there, this DanG cold weather. I wanted to spray but doing that, I couldn't have any open flames. :o

richhiway

those cabinets are very nice.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

fishfighter

Price is even better. Got about $75 in them for a couple sheets of 3/4" plywood for the shelves. Other plywood, my son had got it off a job for free. Have way more then what I need to build all the draws. ;D

Going to be a backwards weather day with a very good chance of snow here today. A inch of that shuts everything down here in the south. :D We are not set up for ice or snow. :o

Doctors appointment went so so. Back on another med that should help, I hope.

Got a question. Anybody ever recut granite counter tops? I been checking on how to do it videos. Yesterday afternoon I did make my templates. The granite I have is 3 cm thick. I do have a stone blade for my saw and a small 4" blade for my grinder. Used these blades for the Hardiplank I installed. I will make up a GFCI extension cord to feed it. Besides that, the power feed is already GFCI protected. I will fix up a 5 gallon bucket with a small tube and valve to feed water real slow as I cut. That should be just enough to help keep the blade clean and cool. Also, I will use a wet vac to help suck up extra water to help keep things on the dry side. Don't want to get shocked. :o  Of course I will have to wait till next weekend for the weather to warm back up. Suppose to get back up in the low 70's. ;D

For the sink, I am really kicking the idea of using a very very old time wash board kitchen double cast iron sink I have. I would have to refinish it with epoxy which I had done before. ;D I will get a picture of it today.

Dakota

When you get done, I'd like to hear what worked best for you as I will be doing the same in the spring.
Dave Rinker

ChugiakTinkerer

I've only cut granite tiles, less than a cm thick.  But slow and wet worked just fine.
Woodland Mills HM130

fishfighter

Yep, slow thin cuts at a time till thru all the way is the plan.

Briankinley2004

I cut some old granite toilet partitions about 1" thick to use for fireplace hearths at camps. Used a diamond blade in a skil saw. Two or three cuts.

fishfighter

That is my plan. ;D Now if it would just warm up. I did install the draw runs yesterday and if it warms up like it suppose to, I will get all the sanding done today.

fishfighter

Had a chance of plans. Success  ;D Did cut up the granite tops. Very happy on the out come. 8)

Before I started I had made templates of the counter top with 1/8" luan  plywood.

As you can see, when the people that had removed the top, they crack it. Well that really doesn't matter due to this piece and the joining piece was way to long.

First cut, I had set the blade less then a 1/4". I life saver is that guide that I bought from HF. Paid $15 and well worth it. ;D Using a pump sprayer with water helped a lot. Two people cutting this would go a lot faster, but it only took me about two hours having to take the time to wet out the cuts. Made 7 cuts.

It took 5 passes to cut thru. Big NOTE here# MAKE SURE THE SLABE IS FULLY SUPPORTED UNDER IT. I used some pieces of OSB. That way on the final cut the blade didn't have any problems cutting that. Another NOTE# Keep a lot of pressure down on the saw. If not, it will try to jump up a little. This helps for a very clean cut. ;D

Stand a loan cabinet with it's top.

I still haven't cut for the sink. Undecided  if I will used an old school or just buy a new SS one. One way or the other, it will be mounted on the top. I don't want to have to drill this stuff. DanG drill bits cost a arm and a leg. Way more then what I paid for the granite in the first place. :D

ChugiakTinkerer

That looks fantastic.  When will you and the Mrs be moving into this building?  :D
Woodland Mills HM130

fishfighter

Baby steps my man, just baby steps. :D I did go out and bought a new sink yesterday. So today, I will finish cutting the granite. I have to order the right stuff that grinds the edges. Really only have one edge that I have to refinish out that is exposed on a outer edge. Youtube has some very good videos on how to do stuff. 8)

fishfighter

Yesterday I had finished cutting out the sink area. Saturday it rained all day. And sure enough, 100% chance of rain today. >:( I did have my SIL over to help me move them in place. Just need to fine tune them and set them. ;D

The two halfs

fishfighter

Got the kitchen sink cabinets installed all the way along with the counter top. Just have to put everything together on the sink and install it all the way. Maybe tomorrow.

I still have that little piece to install too!

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

fishfighter

Got a couple of the top cabinets hung this morning. Going to have to wait till I get some help to hang the last one. Way to big and heavy for one person to handle. :(

Darrel

Starting with that wench on the left side of your pictures rig up a cabinet lift. 8)

The ones you've got up already look great!
1992 LT40HD

fishfighter

Now you did it. :D Got me thinking. :D That is my home made sheetrock lift that I made. Finished with it and been using it to hold up lights. :D Now you done it, wheels are turning. :D

fishfighter

Darrel, I owe you. You had put me back to work. :D

After a little modifying my sheetrock lift, success. 8) Had to move the island out the way. Was not easy sliding it due to the weight of it. Then I had to drag the cabinet out the front bedroom and put it close to in place. Everything just fell in place. 8)

The lift with forks. ;D

Got cabinets installed. ;D

With rain for today and all tomorrow, I will tackle sanding and cleaning up everything. Then next week I will start varnishing them. 8) Doors and draws are in the near future. ;D

Darrel

Paul, just put the check in the mail!

:D :D :D :D :D
1992 LT40HD

fishfighter

Today was a play around day with stains. I had fixed up this stain about 7 months ago. Been brewing that long. Steelwool and vinegar mixture. The beams have aged nice and on the dark side. I want to keep it that way. So, were the sheetrock butts up to the beams, there is a small gap. I left it that way so the beams would dry and would not pull away from the sheetrock. My plans are to install a 1" square strip. Had them sawed and planed out a long time. The problem there is that the strips are light color. That is why I made the stain in the first place. ;D

My sample next to a beam

Just tacked them up. Happy with the match. ;D

Now I been thinking real hard on this. Been kicking the idea to stain all the wood work to a darker color.

Some samples with the same stain. It is kind of hard to see, but one end has two coats, them a bit of one coat and then clear. Same thing for the plywood that I used for the cabinet shelving.

Two coats just about match the oak without any stain. I'm going to try a third coat and see what happens there.

So, what y'all think about staining all the wood work to a bit of gray?

Another color I am thinking would be a mixture of Cherry and dark cherry. I like the rich of that color. Just need to go pick up some and give it a try.

Crusarius

What mix did you use on the beam I like that color.

fishfighter

The beams are their natural color. I like them too! ;D To get a match on the 1"x1"'s, I took 2 steelwool pads in a quart container and filled with white vinegar. That sat for 7 months, but I'm sure it could be ready in a month. I did strain with a coffee filter before using.

I went and picked up some different cherry stains. DanG wood is not going the way I really would like it. :( I even mixed with no help. This water oak just don't like to be stained. Still going to try other things. If not, just varnish. ;D

I'm going to post on the wood working section of ideas. ;D

fishfighter

Still debating to stain or not to stain. :D

Did a little for the backsplash. Took a true 2"x6" water oak board. Planed it down and edged. From there, on the back side, top, I added two strips of 3/8" plywood 1" wide and screwed them in place. From there, I passed them thru my planner and got what I was looking for.

Put in place.

I will be trying something for the full backsplash. ;D

fishfighter

Today, I came up with a idea some what. For the backsplash, I was planning on using some old rusty tin roofing. Came up with even more of a crazy idea. Kind of need some help here if I'm going down the right path. :D

So, I put this together. Which door would you choose?

Now that is a top cabinet door with the metal rust roofing. My plans are to use that same roofing for the backsplash. I will spray paint them with clear varnish to lock in the rust and help keep things clean.

On a side note, I was thinking to do just the bottom doors and wood or glass for the top doors.

I'm at the point that today I had resawed some 4/4, 8" and 10" wide boards. I needed  about 150' LF of true 1"x2" just for the framing of the doors. Planed, edged and planed all that today.  8)

Darrel

As far as the rust goes, if you only have it on the back splash and cabinet doors, I don't think it will look good.  If you stand in the middle of the kitchen and turn your back on the cabinets and sink area you still need to see some rust. Maybe not as much, but there will need to be some in key places that will catch your eye. Maybe even have it here and there throughout your house. If you have rusty light fixtures or lamps for example. Then if you want the highest concentration of it in the kitchen, that's great. Doing this will prevent getting poked in the eye by rust when you walk into the kitchen.

My 2ยข  8)
1992 LT40HD

Thank You Sponsors!