iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started the build.

Started by fishfighter, April 08, 2015, 12:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishfighter

I was planning on building some light fixtures in a rough form that will be a bit rusty or part of copper. Got a trick up my sleeve there that I have plans for. ;D Those will be in the kitchen area. In the living room, I will carry out that theme somewhat. Hardware for the doors, kind of thinking copper in a rough form. ;D

Dakota

I would go with the wood doors. 
Dave Rinker

fishfighter

There is a lot of wood in this area. ;D

So, today, out with the new sink. Just wasn't going to make it. Will be ordering a new one. Looking at copper.

Now I did some testing on stains and different varnishes. Glad I did. Was planning using a gloss. Big wrong there. Satin looked so much better.

Back to cabinet doors. After varnishing some scrap pieces with different stains, I found that doing the lite gray would look best. Even the wife loved it the best. Know what that means? :D

So, I did glue up that door and clamped it in place. The piece of wood is coated with 2 coats of satin. Half is stained.

This is a swap with using a gloss varnish.

Then I had coated a piece of the rusted roofing. Half and half. There was no different. :(

Placed up at the door.

It turned out darker. A bit more then what I was looking for. :( So, for sure using it as a backsplash, it is not going to work. I might still use a little around the stove area and trim it out in oak.

This is what the door looks like about 12' away.

Don't know if the cabinets will clash with the beams above. Still out on that one.

Magicman

I don't even try.  "She" has the first and last say-so.  Most times when I don't pay attention it get's re-done.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Well, another change from the boss. :o Our daughter took a walk back there with the wife. The ruling came out. :o No stain at all. :o Still they want the metal in the upper cabinet doors and wood in the bottom doors. :D Whatever. :D Only thing that hasn't changed is using a satin varnish. :D They want me to build two new doors for the top with the metal and clamp them in place so they can really see if that is what they want. :-X Yep, had to just bite the bullet. ;D At lease those doors only take about 30 minutes to build. ;D Oh well. :D

Magicman

The Ladies are Wonderful Creatures.  If they say it, believe it, and when two agree, the Supreme Court could not overturn the decision.   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

So, yesterday I tried to make two doors for the top using glass. Went and bought the glass. Had to resaw the gap were the glass slips in. No biggie. Looked real nice till both glasses popped. :o The glue I used expands. I didn't think about that and sure as heck, both glass panels popped. >:( The glass had way more them enough room to move, but not with that glue. >:(

Live and learn, I guess. But there is a silver lining to this. My daughter came to pick up her son yesterday evening. Told her what had happen. Well, one of her hobbies is making stain glass  panels. ;D She took what I had and started making a new stain glass panel. ;D 8)

So, another change. :D

And yesterday the wife and I went looking at different tiles for the backsplash. Everything that we liked was way to much that I didn't want to spend. :o Here comes another change. :D Drinking my coffee this morning and thinking about that, had something that popped in my mind. I have a bunch of 4"x6" and 6"x6" oak beams that are cut offs. Why not cross saw them across the end grain to make subway tiles. Glue them up, then grout them and then varnish them for the finish? Leave them in the rough and make them not the same thickness. ;D I see that I will have to make a jig to hold the beams up right to saw them on my sawmill. 8) Would do that today, but rain is on the way. :(

Magicman

The tile idea should be a good one.  You just might make points with the wife yet.   :D

Darrel

I've seen tiles done that way for flooring and it looked great. I see no reason why it wouldn't look good as a backsplash.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

fishfighter

Did the mistake of showing the wife a picture of a backsplash made out of pallet wood. So, she wants me to get some for enough to see what it would look like. :o Really no problem getting them for free around here.

I'm getting to the point that I will just do whatever. :D

Magicman

Yeah, whatever she says.   :D

fishfighter

This is a picture she like with the pallet wood.

Stain glass panel my daughter did last night.

fishfighter

Been putting door frames together. DanG shame I only have two clamps that extend over 30". :( Should go out and buy a couple more, but there will be a good chance I will never use them again.

Anyway, My daughter wanted me to install a stain glass to make sure it is strong enough. All is good. ;D Don't mind the blue tape. I put that there so I can varnish it. ;D My daughter wanted to add more color to the glass, but I said all is good. I wife loves it. Guess that is what counts. :D

Should finish the top doors tomorrow and varnish them first before installing the glass.

Ljohnsaw

I thought the blue tape looked good!  Thought it was a different glass she was trying out.

How are you attaching the glass in the back?  Glazing points or turney things like for screens.  Picture please!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

fishfighter

I used my router and cut a grove about 1/2" wide and 1/2" deep. From there, I put a bead of  clear silicone, then put the glass in. From there I had some oak strips that are 1/2" wide that filled the gap and thickness of the frame. More silicone, then the strips. Used a staple gun and stapled them in place. Once the silicone is dry, Remove the staples.

Back side. You can see a little of gap. I will fill that. ;D

Darrel

I kinda liked the rust but the glass really looks nice. 
1992 LT40HD

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Looks really good...

Question: Is the door opening laid out so the long side of the door is vertical (in the basic orientation shown in the photos...) or does the long side go horizontal?

The reason I ask is if it is to be installed with the long side vertical it looks a little odd because the stiles are not the full length of the door...

Nothing wrong with that, just most people make the stiles the full length of the door height, rather than making the rails the full width...

Still looks good.

Herb

fishfighter

I see what you are saying. ;D But yes, the long side will be vertical.

Darrel, the rust tin was just to dark and the wife didn't care for it. So, whatever the boss says, goes. :D

fishfighter

Finished getting all the upper door frames together. Just need to varnish them. Daughter has a bunch of the glass done.

Got all the drawer boxes built. With the rain we having, it's stopping me from varnishing and resawing rough boards to plane out for the lower cabinet doors and drawer fronts. :( Didn't take any pictures.

fishfighter

Really haven't been doing to much. :( Kind of been under the weather. Over 13 years ago, I had neck surgery to fuse together C5 and C6. Well the last couple months, this came back with problems. >:( The pain got to the point, I couldn't sleep. So, off to the doctor that did the work. Not good. :( Things above and below are in very bad shape. Looks like more surgery down the line. >:(

Anyway, got all the upper doors and a piece of backsplash varnish.

I did put together the matching door to the first today. Got a pair now. ;D

My daughter has a couple more of the glasses done, just need to go pick them up.

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

fishfighter

Yesterday, I sprayed out one of the cabinets. Sprayed a clear satin finish. Really made the wood grain pop. ;D

Used a cheap HF spray gun that cost $10 that did a great job. ;D After spraying, any runs, I came back with a foam brush. That took care of it. ;D

Magicman

I am just now catching up with what you did while I was on the road sawing Paul.  I see that your Wife and Daughter are making good decisions and you are doing well by following them.  Looking Good.   :)

fishfighter

Thanks Lynn. Spent the day on a tractor moving dirt. Paying the price for that this morning. Got to do a CT this morning on my neck to see if there is anything they can do to fix it. I hope so or my sawing days could be over.

Magicman

Here is wishing you the best my Friend.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!