iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slide Hammer Slab Separator

Started by redbeard, November 05, 2018, 11:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

This tool has been very helpful in removing heavy slabs off our Hud-Son 60 mill.
It also works great for getting a heavy slab off the B-20 mill no more sliding the heavy first cut and risking moving log for next cut.
Also
Been having fun with the grandson this morning having him say 
Slide Hammer Slab Separator as fast as he can.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

bodagocreek2

Is that home made or store bought. Looks like it could be made fairly easy.

redbeard

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

DPatton

"Been having fun with the grandson this morning having him say
Slide Hammer Slab Separator as fast as he can."

😂😂😂😂 Can he say it 3 times real fast?
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

PAmizerman

Bookmarked!!

That is a really slick idea.
You should patent it and then sell the rights to logrite!! :)
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

redbeard

I was thinking about painting it Log rite colors too match all my other mill tools.
Hmm.

barbender

I've had a few prototypes that I built over the years, that ended up working "good enough" so I wished I had did a little nicer job. Your's looks pretty good on the first try, redbeard👍
Too many irons in the fire

Andries

Quote from: bodagocreek2 on November 05, 2018, 02:39:44 PM
Is that home made or store bought ?
Redbeard - is that the best compliment, or what ?   :)
Great idea and nicely made!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

florida

I'm not a sawyer but that's really clever! Like so many good ideas it seems so intuitive and simple. You really should talk to Logrite. 
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

YellowHammer

I could see that as being real handy when a sticker needs to be readjusted in a pack of stickered wood.   
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

btulloh

Nice idea.  Don't know if I need one of those but I think I'll make one.  I'll probably find a lot of uses for it.  Not sure I'll take the effort to paint it as nice as yours.  I have a bit of stainless that should be just right for the forks.

(If I did paint it, it would have to be Farmall Red or maybe Kubota orange.  That JD color scheme would clash around my place. ;D)
HM126

redbeard

Each day we use the tool we're finding ideas that would make it better, just like any tool there's always room for improvements.
(1).The center knife should be longer than the knives on each side.
Because it would pull those easily into the spread of the slabs.
(2). The handle that is just a 3/4 blk iron pipe, could be interchangable so left or right handers could use it, and some sort of loop handle on end so you could grab both bars with one hand when slabs are raised for dunnage insert. It would free up your other hand so one person could accomplish task.
This proto tool has been successful in achieving the bottle neck of slowing us down on seperating the slabs too further handle them using equipment and not having too Armstrong  every slab witch really wears a person out.

Hilltop366

Would a single wide flat blade with a slide hammer on the handle work?

Like a pry bar that lifts with the toe and pushes down on the heel.

Thank You Sponsors!