iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill helpers

Started by Norm, November 16, 2003, 05:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Our fall logging has been keeping Patty and I busy. After bucking up some logs she gets out the anchorseal to keep the logs from end checking.

Cole keeps the logs steady while Patty works on her painting.

Angel is so jealous of Cole he has to see what's up.

This walnut was growing in an area that floods all the time. It's trunk was buried in 20" of silt when I dug it up. I've never seen so much white wood on a walnut. It turned the prettiest green after about an hour of bucking the end.

Paul_H

Norm,
will the colour stay in the lumber,or will it fade with light?Some of our logs have Conk stain that is a pink hue,but fades with exposure to sunlight to a dull purple.

It looks like it could be an interesting pile of boards.

Are your helpers well coated with Anchorseal? :D
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Norm

Yes they were Paul, all three of em. :D

Walnut is a neat wood to cut. It turns some of the prettiest colors after sawing but they don't stay that way. One of the logs has an uneven sapwood to heartwood line. When you flatsaw it you get a combination of white and dark in the boards. You don't get very many of em but they make for some pretty contrasts.

Tom

This color discovery is one of the most enjoyable things I've found about milling.  I get to see the inside of a tree before anybody else in the world does and experience its vibrant colors.  The colors usually go away and nobody else gets to see them, but, I did. 8) :) :)

woodhaven

I have had the same experiences with walnut. You can open him up and it might be green and other colors. Let him dry for a few minutes and it's brown. I still remember the first one I ever cut. I thought it was junk cause it sure didn't look like what I thought it should. The next morning it looked like walnut.
Richard

Thank You Sponsors!