iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diesel cold starts

Started by bandmiller2, December 07, 2008, 07:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Many of us have diesels on our mills that are slightly past prime.My Dagenham was not interested in milling much below 20 degrees no glow plugs or outher starting aids.I don't care much for the starting fluid route.Only outher option heat, no freeze plugs/core holes,Used the small 1000 watt can and two hoses.The best heaters fit in the freeze plug holes.What a differance one hour with the heater and the old Dag thinks its summer.Even if your engine will start a block heater saves starters ,batteries,and adds life to the engine.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Captain

I agree to all Frank.  I try to plug in the equipment when I can.  I've got to explore the Freightliner a bit for a good heater plugin, it is supposed to be at the driver's step in a housing but is missing....srtarted it yesterday at 15 degrees F and it was a bit of a struggle.

Captain

LeeB

I deffinately agree about not using starter fluid. Once you start bottle feeding one, you'll never ween it off the stuff.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

bandmiller2

Starter fluid is litterly like crack to an engine,once they get hooked its hard to wean them off.Frank C.

bandmiller2

Cappy,I think the block heater is an option ,alot depending on where the truck was shipped.For an over the road truck I would really only consider a freeze plug type ,less chance of leaks and loosing coolant.Not a bad job if you can reach the core plug.Frank C.

Captain

Found it.  The plug end had seperated (rotted from) from the housing at the driver's step.  Luckily, it did not start dragging in the street.

Captain

Tom Sawyer

This won't work for everyone, but with my WM's Cat I find that if I bring the removable fuel tank into the truck and place it where the hot air blows out while I am driving to the job, put the tank back on and pump the hand bulb for a couple of minutes until the warm fuel is into the system the engine starts much better.

Tom

Sprucegum

8) I never heard of warming up the gas before but I know lots of guys who bring in their batteries to keep them warm, gives them more Zip when you're starting a cold motor.

Stephen Alford

If you happen to be stuck for a heat source the exhaust from your pickup helps.  A piece of shop rubber flexie pipe for exhaust discharge stuck over the tailpipe and placed under the fuel pump, battery cables to bring up charge, then just before you turn her over stick the exhaust flexie pipe in the air intake.  Also works for frozen fuel lines. With the tank not always full anymore moisture is more of a problem.  :)
logon

stonebroke

I find if i use a 50/50 blend my tractors start much better in the winter.

Stonebroke

Thank You Sponsors!