iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this MS 260 cylinder rebuildable? (pic)

Started by gregsl, October 29, 2013, 03:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregsl

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.  This is a great forum.

I bought a 260 which needed new rings according to the Stihl Mechanic.  I did a compression test and it was 140.  I then tore down the saw and noticed that the piston was scored (my thumbnail would catch in the grooves) and looked like it was the result of a lean condition. (sorry no pics of piston).

I cleaned up the cylinder (pic below)  my thumbnail doesnt catch on any of the grooves. I realize its hard to comment on this with just one pic but I figured you guys have seen thousands of these.  I honestly feel that some muriatic acid and emory cloth would fix this cylinder up nicely.  What do you guys think?

I plan on leak/vaccuum testing and checking the oil seals because i suspect the lean condition was caused by a leaking oil seal because everything else looked fine.  I have a meteor piston kit and gasket kit on the way from Baileys.

Also, one other quick question.  How much play is acceptable with the big end rod bearing? i can wiggle it slightly but i have nothing to compare this to.

Thanks,

G

nmurph

ZERO vertical play is acceptable.

That jug doesn't look bad, but you never know until you start. You will need lots of acid and elbow grease.

gregsl

Quote from: nmurph on October 29, 2013, 04:11:25 PM
ZERO vertical play is acceptable.

That jug doesn't look bad, but you never know until you start. You will need lots of acid and elbow grease.

I'll have to check the big end bearing. I dont think it had any vertical play, just some side to side.

I am looking forward to the elbow grease part!

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

gregsl

Quote from: AdkStihl on October 30, 2013, 08:39:18 AM
Quote from: gregsl on October 30, 2013, 08:21:04 AM
I am looking forward to the elbow grease part!

Famous last words   :D

words I've spoken many a time and lived to regret haha

MidWestTree

That jug looks like it will clean up nicely, I find that muriatic acid works much better on removing the aluminum transfer if you heat the jug first. A 400* oven or the top of the wood stove works well for this between applications, rinse it out and warm it up before the next go around.

sharkey

You really wont know about the cylinder until you get the aluminum off.  If you dont have any muratic acid, you can use works toilet bowl cleaner.  The works wont take it off as fast, but it will do it.  When it stops reacting you will know its clean.  Aluminum will turn a light green on your Qtip.   

Thank You Sponsors!