iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to tear down a 34' by 48' barn?

Started by Clovis, February 03, 2008, 08:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clovis

A slide hammer is also a good idea. We use them at work to remove 1" keyways with a threaded end. I'm thinking a 1" rod may be a bit big, I think a 15/16" or 7/8" size may be the way to go.

It's on my list. (of things to do)

I guess part of the problem with removing pegs will be the ones in tension. A couple of the pegs in the first barn were actually bent. If they are going to be removed the pressure is going to have to be released from them. Chainfalls, come alongs, chains, cables and straps are going to be needed. I think I'm going to remove that new barn just to try out what I have learned on it. I want to see if I can keep as much intact as possible.
I'm not afraid of the great outdoors!

Ironwood

Once ""bent" in the joint I found it nearly impossible to get them out, and usually reuse them. Many frames are built with subtle misalinements to ensure the frame is "bound" together. I say that from disassembly experience, I am no timber framer (that is for sure). I have just been around a ton of barns in my region since I was a child (eastern Ohio, Western Pa.) and taken down a number of structures during that time.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

moonhill

The slide hammer with lag screw works well, but not always the cure all.  Tim B.
This is a test, please stand by...

Clovis

What a disappointment!  :'( I went out to look at that other barn today, The guy that is taking it down was a little off with his dimensions. Its 1/2 the size of the first one and its balloon framed. All lumber is actual dimension and sawn on a circ mill. (still old at about 80 to 100 years) I am going to try and save the rafters (2x5) and the loft floor joists (2x12x20') and the tin roof if I can. Its about 10 years old. All wood looks like red oak.
I'm not afraid of the great outdoors!

matt eddy

hey keep the excavators away if you want to save the barn.  yes I'm another framer from Maine, i also recommend taking it down in reverse order.  might be worth wild to hire a crane to take the big stuff down.  be careful taking down a old barn, can be dangerous.  I once took down a barn with dove-tail purlins and pegged and as we pulled the roof boarding off the purlins where coming with the boarding.  also be careful of "hidden rot"  i mean the rot thats inside the timbers that you can't see.  you start pounding with a sledge and next thing you no the post is in two pieces and you got a real dangerous situation.  take time to set up good stagging as well!  think safety!  when i do a restoration i always quote it as cost + because it never is as easy as it looks!
Matt

Thank You Sponsors!