iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Tear in my Eye

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, December 28, 2017, 07:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I saw this LT50 run the first week the sawyer bought it.
I was impressed with the Diesel.
Well the guy that bought it put his son in law in the sawmill business.

Now the SIL's has a good job that doesn't allow time to saw.
So the owner is now 85. The mill has been setting here in the weather for 3 years.
Look at it!  ::)

Only 340 hours......and things are deteriorating on it.
I personally know the man but he doesn't want to sell it. Says he might decide to saw something one day.
I told him if he decided to sell it to please give me first chance but by then it would probably be better to forget it.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

brianb88

Measure twice, cut once

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

It's time for a "pitty party"!   :'(
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Aren't there laws against such things?  :( If not there should be. Sawmill dealers should require references before they let someone buy/adopt a mill. smiley_annoyed01
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

Can you talk him into getting it stored on gravel, mouseproofed and covered up?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on December 28, 2017, 07:39:57 PM
Can you talk him into getting it stored on gravel, mouseproofed and covered up?

I said he's 85.  :D :D :D

He has no sheds or barn....all his tractors and implements are setting in the weather.

squirrel dog

Dang, hate to see that also. Wish I had enough money to let such valuable equipment rust and rot away. :new_year:

Peter Drouin

Just bring a bag of money with you when you talk to him about it. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Looks to me like it is now just a big flower pot for chinese privet, Ligustrum sinense  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bogue Chitto

Hope the field does not catch fire. 

YellowHammer

I'd talk to his wife if he has one, she would straighten him out. ::). Or his daughter.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Come on Poston - we all know goats love Privet and that is what you really find so attractive in those photos!!   :D  I can just picture it now, standing on the bed browsing!!   ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Southside logger on December 28, 2017, 09:53:35 PM
I can just picture it now, standing on the bed browsing!!   ;D

Actually thats what I was doing today.

pineywoods

OOOhhh, that does smart. It greives my soul to see fine machinery so deliberately abused. I have a similar case sitting in my yard, rescued from under a pile of sawdust. Never been in a shed. Been run over by a truck. Gonna have a shot at re-building it, a little at a time, maybe even paint. When I finish, there's another one from the same place, just rusting away, sigh, so many projects, not enough time.. >:(
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

dgdrls

jeez,....at least try to cover it and keep the weeds back
I'm thinking the S.I.L owns this one,

D

sealark37

It seems that some folks are surprised to find that sawmilling, in addition to being lots of fun and mild excitement, is a lot of hard work.  I suspect that the subject saw is at the center of a family dispute.       Regards, Clark

47sawdust

Looks like the place where ambition goes to die.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

HousewrightVA

I know the exact same situation here in VA right down to the age of the owner. Tried to buy it a couple of years ago,but there are potential heirs involved....so.
I let them know, whatever you do do not try to run it, with out going through it the deal with the damage of setting for years out in the weather. I think it will make someone a good mill one day after the owner passes.
skidsteer logger
Case 1840  440  580B
2016 LT40 Super

edwin dirnbeck

If you drive anywhere in rural Mo.,you will see countless FRONT yards full of EVERY machine that the owner has owned. NON  are for sale.Edwin Dirnbeck

terrifictimbersllc

I saw a sobering sight earlier this year. These hydraulic pumps are half buried in dirt.   The owner is hoping to get this mill running again.   :'( :'( :'(

alanh

Im familiar with a similiar situation, new lt 40, hardly used, left outside, tried to buy it, nope, last word was the mice got into it and it was "no good", still won`t talk sell. whats just as bad is the huge pile of big, straight,clean white cedar powerline poles that are rotting into the ground next to it, wouldnt sell them either...

Crossroads

My cousin has a mobile dimension that they salvaged for free. It's in pretty bad shape and needs the engine rebuilt. I've tried to buy it several times, but his nephew is involved somehow and says no. So, found a place in Portland that had a 2017 lt40 wide sitting out in the weather rotting away and bought it in stead ;)

It's really sad to see perfectly good machines setting in the weather, not being taken care of.
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

alan gage

To show they aren't all lost forever: I bought my mill (Timberking B-16) this summer and it had been sitting outside for 12 years or so. Went to look at it in the morning, struck a deal with the guy, and drug it home that afternoon. Needed a lot of work and I still need to replace the hydraulic lines but it's gonna get a second chance at life.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

moodnacreek

Going north, the farther I go, the worse the weather and  more machinery left outdoors.

Thank You Sponsors!