iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jonsered help

Started by SnoJetter, November 17, 2004, 03:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnoJetter

Hi guys - I'm new here and hoping your collective wisdom can help me out.  I've got an old - I'd say 15 years old or so - Jonsered 535 saw my grandfather gave me.  It was run without oil in the gas about 5 years ago and is in need of a new piston and cylinder.  I've been watching ebay in hopes that a good parts saw might come along.

My question is this - does anyone know what other model saws would have similar cylinder/piston assemblies that would bolt right on to the 535 crankcase?  I figure that many of these models had modular engines, the only difference being the cylinder bore.  For example, would a model 525 cylinder bolt onto the 535 or perhaps a 630?

I don't really care about having the exact displacement engine, I just would like to have the saw running.  By the way, Gramps also supposedly fried a Stihl 031 AV that same day way back.  I tinkered with it a couple weeks ago and it's running strongly now.  All it needed was a carb kit.  I do know the Jonsered is scored pretty badly, though.

Thanks for your help!

Kyle Sands <>< Huntley, MN

Corley5

Welcome aboard Kyle! 8) 8)  Glad to see you found your way here from ATIS.  Everybody would love to see some pics of your Gramp's mill and there's more than a few old tractor guys hanging out here as well.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Chris J

Hi, Kyle.  I jumped over to arboristsite & did a quick search on the 535, but I didn't find much useful info.  There should be some crossover with certain Husky models.  You might try Jeff Sikema at snssawshop.com, or do some research at Chain Saw Collectors Corner, CSCC, acresinternet.com.  I'm working on a couple of Jreds, & I've just about decided having a parts saw is cheaper & more handy than tracking down parts then waiting for delivery.  I get my parts saws off eBay,  but that's really hit & miss.  Jred parts for older saws are getting harder to find, so a  parts saw might not be a bad idea.

Y'all be careful.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

pallis

There's a 535 cylinder on ebay right now for $9-something.  That and some new rings might fix you right up.  I don't think a 525 will exchange with the 535.   However, if you happen to have a 525 cylinder and piston for a good price, I might be interested.

Pat

Chris J

Another source that I should've mentioned is George Blake, EDITED.  George's specialty is older Jreds, but he sometimes has newer stuff.  And my comment on parts crossover with Husky-that would depend on if your Jred was made before or after the Electrolux deal.  I think that eBayware had some complete 5?? Jreds listed.

Note from Jeff: Its against forum policy to post someone elses email address on the forum. The spam bots try and spider this site often to harvest email address's. If someone wants to put thier own email address out there for the spammers thats fine, but dont do it for them.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Kevin

Some models that could be close are the 455, 510SP, and 520SP.

http://www.jonsered.ws/IPL.htm

Chris J

My apologies, Jeff.  I should've known better, or paid closer attention to the forum rules.  MN

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SnoJetter

Hey guys, thanks for the help.  I'm doing some investigating, so I'll let you all know what I find out.  Thanks again!

Chris J

Hi, Kyle.  Had a chance to hook-up with George yet?  I'm not used to saying this, but I might be able to help (did the earth just quit rotating?)  I won an auction on ebayware yesterday morning, 3 Jonsereds--670 Champ, 535 Special??, & an unidentified older Jred.  I think that the old saw is a 801, but I haven't been able to get into CSCC to compare it to the photos.  But I digress...I don't have any real use for a 535.  The seller's descirption says it was a running saw that got ran over by a tractor. I'll know more once I have the saws in my hands, & I'll post on the correct forum to keep things above board.  I don't want a reputation as a troublemaker ::)!

MN

SnoJetter

Hello MN and others - Looks like I neglected to give you all an update.  I did get ahold of George and he had all the parts I needed.  Funny thing was, it turned out the cylinder and piston in my saw weren't in
bad shape!  I really just needed a recoil to get it back in action.  But I have spare parts now  ;D

I tore the saw apart in preparation for installing the parts George was sending and I cleaned it all up.  It was a smooth teardown and reassembly process.  When the parts arrived, I put on the new recoil and without needing to rebuild the carb or touch any of the settings, the saw was running and idling better than any saw I've ever used!

Here's the best part.  I decided to give it back to my grandfather for Christmas.  I had it all ready to go the day before Christmas Eve.  I ran two tanks of gas through it cutting some wood just to make sure it was going to run well.  I then cleaned it again and wrapped it up for Gramps who was with me and the family for the Holidays.  Was he ever surprised!  I've never seen him react as excitedly as he did when he saw it.  It was GREAT!  During New Year's I was up at his place and his brand new Jonsered sat unused while he cut up several fallen Ash trees (beaver) with his favorite old saw.  I think I got the better end of that gift seeing him having a great time with an "old friend."  I've got a picture or two to post here if I can figure out how to do so.  Regards,

Thank You Sponsors!